Swedish pronouns

fiolis

Do you know that Swedes beside female and male pronoun (hon/han) commonly use no gender pronoun hen? It was created because of the people who don't identify themselfs as woman nor man (also used when you don't know gender of person that you are talking about). It's simple solution to many problems. I am not sure if there is such a thing in english (it's not my native language).

Yeah when that word was introduced that was rollercoaster to say the least. It has good use. But it seems to be mostly used in the later example you posted now days. And when a persons gender is not importent to the content. There was a newspaper (Dagens nyheter if i remember corectly) that when the hen thing was on the news at the most, That changed every time "him or her" and so on to hen in a issue.

--------------

I don't speak swedish so I can't be sure if it is quite an equivalent but in english 'they' can be used as a gender neutral pronoun and is also used when talking about someone whose gender you don't know/is unspecified.

I'd love to see some one try to perswade the Slavic speakers of the world that there should be genderless pronouns. I mean a language that is so difficult because of the conjugation trying to deal with gender free anything is utterly absurd.

SK, CZ, and PL, all still use "ova" after any woman's surname. Eg kournikova You know her husband or father is called Mr kournik. The "ova" means the same as english apostrophe "s", as in belonging to. <watches all the feminists faint>..

The joke I have that is true about slavic languages is that NOTHING has its own name.. I mean in english a table, is always a table, well unless there is more than one. in Slavic languages it will change in just about any circumstance.

A table. is "Stol

On the table "Na stole"

Next to the table "Vedla stola"

Under the table "pod stolom"

There are more but that gives you an idea.... now the way that "table" and ALL the other words change depend on the gender of the other objects and the gender of the people it has to do with... so The VERY best of luck trying to change most of central and eastern europe in the concept of gender neutrality, fluidity, or plurality.. Je to chlapy, aj zeny inak je to nic len debilov. Would be something I imagine my slavic adopted brethren would say. 

That was 'Rant Of The Day' with the honourable, Lord Grep, Bishop for the diocese of Google and Bing. 

sir octepus tea

yea I´ve only seen people use the neutral pronoun either in trans inclusive spaces and occasionally in some other contexts. it´s kinda sad because neutral pronouns are becoming more necessary as well as already being practical but people dismiss it as some "overly politically correct bs". when did practicality and basic respect become political?

1 hour ago, Lord Grep said:

I'd love to see some one try to perswade the Slavic speakers of the world that there should be genderless pronouns. I mean a language that is so difficult because of the conjugation trying to deal with gender free anything is utterly absurd.

SK, CZ, and PL, all still use "ova" after any woman's surname. Eg kournikova You know her husband or father is called Mr kournik. The "ova" means the same as english apostrophe "s", as in belonging to. <watches all the feminists faint>..

The joke I have that is true about slavic languages is that NOTHING has its own name.. I mean in english a table, is always a table, well unless there is more than one. in Slavic languages it will change in just about any circumstance.

A table. is "Stol

On the table "Na stole"

Next to the table "Vedla stola"

Under the table "pod stolom"

There are more but that gives you an idea.... now the way that "table" and ALL the other words change depend on the gender of the other objects and the gender of the people it has to do with... so The VERY best of luck trying to change most of central and eastern europe in the concept of gender neutrality, fluidity, or plurality.. Je to chlapy, aj zeny inak je to nic len debilov. Would be something I imagine my slavic adopted brethren would say. 

That was 'Rant Of The Day' with the honourable, Lord Grep, Bishop for the diocese of Google and Bing. 

Are you Slovak? I'm Hungarian through a parent :) Hungarian doesn't have a gendered pronoun, it's just ő. However, they gender a lot of nouns. We don't add -ova but worse...if a woman married his lordship her name would be Lord Gepne . Though, I don't see it so often anymore. Although I did see it on the TV a few years ago. 

3 minutes ago, kingcakedonut said:

Are you Slovak? I'm Hungarian through a parent :) Hungarian doesn't have a gendered pronoun, it's just ő. However, they gender a lot of nouns. We don't add -ova but worse...if a woman married his lordship her name would be Lord Gepne . Though, I don't see it so often anymore. Although I did see it on the TV a few years ago. 

Madar!!!! No I am not Slovak.. I lives there for 7 years.. I lived in the Slovak speaking part of Slovakia... Lol... The Hungarian influence in Slovakia is VERY controversial. The Hungarian language though is a very unique language. It is not a slavic language at all. The rest of the region from the Czech republic, Slovakia. Poland, and Ukraine and the Balkans all the way to and including Russia speak a similar language. When I say similar, I mean the language construction, and pronunciation are much the same, though many of the words are different. ( i know that sounds odd but its like they are all built on the same lingual idea and structure ) The Hungarians though are linguistically very odd. The Hungarian language shares virtually nothing with any other language in fact there is only a couple of other languages that share any similarities, and they are Finish, and Estonian. 

Do

2 minutes ago, Lord Grep said:

Madar!!!! No I am not Slovak.. I lives there for 7 years.. I lived in the Slovak speaking part of Slovakia... Lol... The Hungarian influence in Slovakia is VERY controversial. The Hungarian language though is a very unique language. It is not a slavic language at all. The rest of the region from the Czech republic, Slovakia. Poland, and Ukraine and the Balkans all the way to and including Russia speak a similar language. When I say similar, I mean the language construction, and pronunciation are much the same, though many of the words are different. ( i know that sounds odd but its like they are all built on the same lingual idea and structure ) The Hungarians though are linguistically very odd. The Hungarian language shares virtually nothing with any other language in fact there is only a couple of other languages that share any similarities, and they are Finish, and Estonian. 

Don't get me started. I normally steer away from those things :) Love and peace!

Yes, I was just making a comment regarding gender in other languages. Hungarian is not slavic, I know. It's Finno-Ugric. It has some similarities MAYBE with Finnish numbers. Ugric meaning from the Ural mountains. I had some friends from Siberia that picked up Hungarian rather quickly. 

9 minutes ago, kingcakedonut said:

Don't get me started. I normally steer away from those things :) Love and peace!

Yeah no worries.. There is enough things to get cross about never mind disputes about countries we dont live in... It was odd though. I used to play badminton for a local club, and we would go to the Hungarian speaking part of Slovakia, and it was so strange having spent years learning slovak to suddenly be faced with yet another  language... (don't find my posts about joking about roll playing Hungarian pr0n) Just imagine someone saying "yes" in Hungarian in a dead pan way while doing "you know what" "Igen, Igen, Igen etc"... (pronounced "eegen") Sorry there is just something intrinsically funny about that. I do however apologise for this diplomatic incident..  <offers kingcake a hand shake>

No worries. And no offense or anything, but I'm kind of used to it. Though it really sucks when you get the stink eye just because you try to make friendly convo with other E. Europeans, but you're looked down upon because of where your dad was born. At the same time, I was raised better, and I know how to behave.  So, thanks dad! And I'll take the cake. And yeah, that's part of the dynamics of Europe.

Calligraphette_Coe
2 hours ago, sir octepus tea said:

yea I´ve only seen people use the neutral pronoun either in trans inclusive spaces and occasionally in some other contexts. it´s kinda sad because neutral pronouns are becoming more necessary as well as already being practical but people dismiss it as some "overly politically correct bs". when did practicality and basic respect become political?

When it had to. When agents provacateurs hoisted the Jolly Rodger and invaded spaces with the express purpose of shutting them down by any means necessary. And why? Because they often have a worldview that proudly exhibits zero tolerance for dissent or of people who are different and which acts out in overly aggressive ways such as misgendering people with malignant intent. And when people who are trying to lead their lives quietly and according to their own inner light while harming none are fed a heaping helping of disrespect and told that it's the divine right of those who act disrespectfully to do so because of "Free Speech".

It is the sovereign right of the governed to seek relief through political grievance to the government. And that's not "political correctness", that's a society governed by written laws being made when the pirates won't stand down their aggressive behaviours.

"Sew the wind, reap the whirlwind." When you plant weeds by turning Free Speech into idolatry, don't be surprised if the wheat is strangled as a seedling, and many more than the targets go hungry because of it. The world is one huge Prisoner's Dilemma, and the prison yard may run on Political Incorrectness-- but it's still a prison yard.

On 17.02.2017 at 1:30 PM, Lord Grep said:

SK, CZ, and PL, all still use "ova" after any woman's surname. Eg kournikova You know her husband or father is called Mr kournik. The "ova" means the same as english apostrophe "s", as in belonging to. <watches all the feminists faint>.

Okay i feel like I really need to step in. I don't know how about other languages, but it doesn't apply to Polish in that way.

We have two types of surnames: one that is like a noun and one that is like an adjective (just like John Green). It's important because of the forms. So the one that is a noun is always the same for example Martyna Orzeł. Or Filip Orzeł. Gender or any other thing doesn't matter.

But the second one is more tricky. We have to change it depends on the gender of the person. So it's Filip Kasprzycki but Martyna Kasprzycka. And it have nothing to do with belonging. We just change forms because of gender. Like when a woman is happy she is szczęśliwa but a man is szczęśliwy. The same with things.Table is "masculine" and pillow is "feminine" (kinda like in Germany with der die das). So when table is dirty it is brudny, but pillow is brudna. You have to change the end of the word. Big: table is duży but pillow is duża. Pretty: table is ładny but pillow is ładna. 

That's it. It is difficult for non-binary people. But feminists have nothing to dread. At least in Poland. 

Archived