Article in National Post (Canada)

will123

Googling to night to see if I could find the article that introduced me to AVEN back in the "oughts" and came across this.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/asexuality-own-unique-sexual-orientation

The Post would've been one of the papers I read around the time. I found this intersting:

Unlike people seeking treatment for a sexual dysfunction disorder, asexuals aren’t distressed by their indifference to sex, they have no wish to improve their desire, “and, even if they were asked, ‘suppose there’s a hypothetical way to restore your desire and attraction, would you want this,’ they would unanimously respond, ‘no,’” said Brotto, a professor in the department of obstetrics and gynecology at UBC.

According to one woman writing on the website Asexuality Visibility and Education Network, “my ‘condition’ can be summed up in one sentence. I don’t want to have sex.’”

15 minutes ago, CBC said:

Interesting. One of the first places I read something about asexuality was in the Toronto Star, circa 2003-ish. Just a brief blurb.

CBC, I found out about it a few years after that. I'm thinking it was in the Post or Toronto Sun. In '03 I still figured I was straight and had just met a girl that I'm still friends with. Nothing has happened between us other than a hug when meeting.

Divide By Zero

Thanks for posting this will123. Very interesting article.

I've always thought of asexuality as a type of sexual orientation, but I guess not everyone shares that view.

Archived