Mum Problem here...

DatsNotMahName

DatsNotMahName

My Mum keeps teasing me about relationships and stuff but I just don't care about that kinda stuff. I find myself then faking that I'm attracted to a certain person. But I'm not. I feel like if I tell her that I think I might be asexual she's just gonna shrug it off thinking I'm just being a silly teenager and start teasing me about guys again. 

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

I am sorry you are going through this.

If you feel like telling your mom that you might be asexual is a bad idea,don't tell her.

Your mom shouldn't be teasing you about relationships. That is just inappropriate and hurtful.

Just tell your mom how you feel about her teasing you.Be honest.

Hopefully if you do this,she'll stop the teasing.

And you shouldn't pretend to be attracted to someone just for the sake of not being made fun of by your mom.

If you do decide to tell your mom you could be ace,Get resources.

This link might help  https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/living-single/201609/asexuality-is-sexual-orientation-not-sexual-dysfunction

Also, there is a book by Julie Sondra Decker called "The invisible Orientation: An introduction to Asexuality".

Hopefully I was some help to you. Sorry if I wasn't.

Good luck!

Hi, Dats. And welcome! :cake:

Sorry your mom;s treating you that way. 

She may think that it's innocent fun, for some reason, but that's obviously not the effect it's having on you. @Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet's provided some wise advice already and I'd recommend following it. It might help to inform your mom that when she teases you she's only making you feel self-conscious and unsure of yourself when it comes to relationships. And those are two things your mom should ever make you feel. 

If you decide to tell her how it makes you feel, take the time you need to think about what it is you want to say. And explain it as clearly and calmly as you can. Hopefully she'll realize what she's doing is bad and make an effort to change her behaviour.

It sounds like she's probably focused on the old social stereotype of "everyone's gotta be in a relationship someday." Expecting everyone to find their true love and get married and have a home and family and all that. It's likely that that's just how it was when she was your age. She may not even realize she's making you feel that awkward, considering that teasing about relationships and crushes is a very stereotypical "mom" thing to do. 

However, if her teasing is passive aggressive or malicious, then that means she might have an idea of what's going on with you and she's trying to "train" you into the life she believes is "socially acceptable." If you don't wanna tell her your orienation, that's totally fine! But I'll bet you could take her aside and, without talking about your orientation, explain to her that her teasing is hurting you more than she realizes and that it makes you very uncomfortable. You don't wanna be pushed, and that's something she should understand and accept. And if she decides to back off, but then forgets and starts doing it again, give her a subtle (or not so subtle, depending on the situation) reminder of what you told her before. You deserve to ask for and receive treatment that makes you feel happy and safe.