Would the views of a creator put you off their creative work?

Question  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would a creator having intolerant views put you off their creative work?

• Yes, if they are homophobic/transphobic/racist/ect. I would find it hard to enjoy their work knowing that
    • Maybe
    • Not sure
    • No, I would still be able to enjoy the creative work even if I disagreed with the views of the creator

This poll is closed to new votes

It wouldn't change whether or not but I like the art, but it would keep me from supporting the art if it means support the artist, if the views were extreme enough.

For example, if I found out an author was homophobic, I would never buy any of this books again. Even if I really wanted to know how that series ended. It's my choice as a consumer to not support someone when they hold views that want to give people like me less rights, and as such they don't deserve my money.

SorryNotSorry

Well... judging from descriptions of him, Ted Nugent sounds like a very bitter person who doesn't like much of anything, but I still occasionally like to hear "Journey To The Center Of The Mind", a song he recorded with the Amboy Dukes back in the 60s.

I don't think actress Angie Harmon is bad-looking at all, but from what I gather about her personal politics and religious beliefs, I probably wouldn't like her if I knew her personally.

Yup!

You guys remember the time Chris Brown beat up a woman?

You can't really stop liking the art, though perhaps it casts a light across it (you intemperate lyrics differently or look at a plot in a book differently), but you can not participate in it or support it in any other way.

Now that I think about it, I did stop listening to a Youtuber because the fact that he started constantly calling things/people he didn't like retarded and autistic sucked all possible enjoyability out of his videos. 

6 minutes ago, m4rble said:

Now that I think about it, I did stop listening to a Youtuber because the fact that he started constantly calling things/people he didn't like retarded and autistic sucked all possible enjoyability out of his videos. 

I really hate it when people use autism like an insult, it really gives me a bad feeling

A friend didn't understand this even though she knew I'm autistic >_<

Just now, Mystic Maya said:

I really hate it when people use autism like an insult, it really gives me a bad feeling

A friend didn't understand this even though she knew I'm autistic >_<

Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to understand how using the words retarded or autism in these ways can be hurtful. Some people seem to think ableism is just some perversion of what they think are good social justice ideas like sexism or racism. They just don't get it, at all. 

To me it depends

Some kinds of art reach me more than others.

I am far from being into classical music, so I can not enjoy any choir stuff by Bach because it is too in the yuck way Christian for my personal taste. I won't see the genius composing behind the uncomfortable lyrics.

I will probably enjoy stuff I am fine with no matter why I am rolling my eyes about the creator.

I am OK with a by now unthinkable opinion in it's historical context and hopefully unlikely to get influenced by it.

I doubt the art scene has a relevant chance to ever milk me. I might tip live performers once in a while, but I am not really generous doing so. I don't buy music recordings. I have no walls to hang paintings. I prefer my books 2nd hand.

To be honest, I'm not always consistent on this. It definitely matters what they produce, if they're contemporary, the context of their terribleness, or how it reflects in their work. The older the artist or thinker or whatever, the harder it is to use my current perception of their opinion against them. The more it represents them, the harder it is to separate from their views. It takes some reflection before deciding if I should stop consuming the work or supporting the artist.

It depends for me. Much like Snow said, the older the work or author is the more lenient I am because then it's more of a chance to glimpse a genuinely different (and often uncensored) viewpoint. Also, if it's historical in nature I'm not going to hold it against someone because I value accuracy over using modern standards when it comes to that.

A creator's views have put me off their work. In fact, there are a couple that come to mind that I seriously considered boycotting, at least for a time. Sadly both of them produce phenomenal material so I chose not to, but I do not recommend them to other people anymore because they frustrated me. I have yet to run into someone with an extreme enough view in my typical mediums that I detest enough to not buy their work.

If it's material that feels like propaganda to me rather than a character's viewpoint or showcasing their view then I have no problems taking my money elsewhere.

I hate when I see a creator get involved in controversial issues on their artistic platforms (websites, shows/signings) rather than just supporting that view elsewhere because it does change my view of them and taint their work for me some.

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about religion.

As regards the actual question, if I had already read/seen a work, I wouldn't change my opinion if I found out something bad about the creator. But it might put me off trying something new.

It mostly depends on whether or not their views come across in their work. If they don't, I probably won't dislike their work for it, although I would be more reluctant to support them (as in, less likely to buy books and so forth) -- assuming I even knew. I don't actually tend to do much research on writers and such, I just enjoy the books for the most part.

It also depends on how long ago the work in question was created. I'm less likely to hold the views of somebody who lived several centuries ago against them, for instance; depending on the social mores of the time and so forth, it might be asking rather a lot of them to differ from it. If they're a more modern person and hold views that I find objectionable, I'm more likely to be bothered by that.

Nah, I don’t bother. Whether I disagree with a person’s opinion or not is a completely different matter.
Besides, just because I disagree with someone on something - be that politics or whatever - it doesn’t mean that I couldn’t get along with them or that they aren’t likeable as a person.
Back to the topic, I usually don’t even know much about the creator anyway, because I don’t care. What counts for me as the consumer is the creation, the product and the quality of it or whether I enjoy it or not. I think a work of art or a piece of technology has to be able to stand for itself and be able to convince for itself, without any judgement or even knowledge about the creator, otherwise it probably isn’t that good anyway.

It depends on whether they are dead or not. If they're still alive and spouting bullshit, I'm not going to line their pockets with any of my money, but once they kick the bucket, sure.

If I enjoy their work (not that there's many subjects I like anyways), I would just try and ignore the creator's views. This is also one of the reasons that I often don't look up the creator of any media I observe.

I understand all people are different, and I do not mind other people having opposing ideas. We each are our own bundle of experiences and hardships, on a journey to and ultimate end. How we get there, doesn't matter, but we all will get there some day. Might as well enjoy everything there is. 

• 3 months later...

As long as the art doesn't indicate or promote any intolerant views, I would see it as completely separate from the artist.   As a fashion design student, my work has absolutely nothing to do with my personal views.  However, I would not support such a person, by paying for their work or by advertising it.  For example, if I liked a piece by a designer I didn't like, I wouldn't even take it for free, as that would affiliate me with them and serve as an advertisement to people who knew it as theirs. 

GiraffeSpots

I don't think it would stop me from viewing the work all together, buit it would play on my mind and therfore dampen my enjoyment.

TheCatBehind

Not always, but in some cases it already happened. Not many, but enough to be sure it affects me sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2017 at 11:11 PM, aro_elise said:

As long as the art doesn't indicate or promote any intolerant views, I would see it as completely separate from the artist.   As a fashion design student, my work has absolutely nothing to do with my personal views.  However, I would not support such a person, by paying for their work or by advertising it.   

Exactly how I feel.

As an aside, I remember what happened when Anne Rice "found religion" some years ago, and it became all the rage among people who had previously lauded her works, to suddenly begin savagely disparaging her prose...all because she had 'disappointed' them as a person. Ridiculous mob behavior, in my opinion.

drjohnhwatson

Depends.  Like, in one Sherlock Holmes story, ACD uses...not-so-great language in reference to a black man (enough so that people were surprised and claim he didn't even write it).  If it's in the past, I'm more likely to allow it to slide.  I was startled to find it in Raffles as well, just like once, but it was still like a bucket of cold water.  I didn't think it was malicious like the ACD one was.  It's just...it's different to hear someone spouting the n-word now, as opposed to then.  There's been a whole shift, and to use it now is really, truly ignorant and heinous (even if it was then as well).  It's hard to articulate, but yeah.

And if I see someone going like "all gays should die" or "trans people are monsters", then no, I'm not likely to read or support their art in whatever form it is.  Like that Orson Scott or whatever his name is.  I wasn't terribly interested in his books to begin with, and I steered away utterly after that.

:huh:.

Depends. If it's something I vehemently disagree with and it bleeds into their work, then maybe. Usually not, though. Like, probably my favorite IP ever is Star Trek, and thats essentially a communist society

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

If the art is unrelated to the view and I judged it to be great, well, fine, but if someone has odious views that they incorporate into their art form, I couldn't support that.

Having said that, I used to love watching the odious Rolf Harris do his art work before he was unmasked as a predatory paedophile. But I wouldn't watch him now that I know.

For me, it kind of depends on the art they do.

With music, I think if it arose that a musician's views were ones I strongly disagreed with and had songs related to these views, then it would put me off the singer. I can't think of any such scenario this has arisen so maybe I would know better when it does

I'm more open minded when it comes to writers to differences of opinion. I have read novels by some writers with strong opinions I disagree, for example Michel houellebecq. I think some of his books are very good or excellent (and others very bad) so rather than viewpoint, quality of writing comes more important.

I was not impressed by a rant in nutshell by ian McEwan but even before the time of the rant, I was not impressed by the book, considering a rating of 1/5 or 1.5/5. At the end of it, I rated it 1/5. 

• 7 months later...

@Member44496

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived