2. 2. Why do you wear your ring?

• I don't wear a ring
    • So I can be recognized by other aces
    • To remind myself it's ok to be ace
    • I want to
    • It reminds me that there are others like me
    • To feel like part of a community
    • Other (maybe explain in the thread?)
  3. 3. Have you ever been recognized as asexual for wearing your ring?

• I don't wear a ring
    • Yep
    • Not yet
  4. 4. How often do you wear your ring?

• I don't have one
    • Everyday all day
    • Only take it off when washing hands of something similar
    • Most of the time
    • Only sometimes
    • Not very often
    • I have a ring but never wear it

This poll is closed to new votes

J. van Deijck

lol. when I'm in a mood, I can wear up to 13 rings at once. (fun fact: one of them is black. yes, it was for an obvious purpose :D)

sometimes I don't wear any rings at all. most of the time I just wear my engagement ring, though.

I wear mine most of the time, but take it off around people who would ask about it and I'm not ready to come out to. 

I don't wear any rings at all. I have really small hands and slim fingers so I have difficulty to find ring that not slide off my finger. But for sure when I find one that fits me I will certainly wear it. 

J. van Deijck

I have thin fingers, too. European 10 (or British K) are enough to me and they are actually small.

most of my fingers fit my index fingers and are too big for the rest.

sir octepus tea

I rarely wear rings, inclduing the ace ring

The only jewelry I wear in my off time are earrings, and very seldom, necklaces. I do have rings, but I never think to wear any ( I really can't for work), and I have not gotten an ace-identifier ring...been thinking of acquiring one for a while though, just for myself.

I don't actually have a ring but I do wear an ace-themed wristband; it has the ace flag colours and it's sparkly :D So that's similar, right?  That never comes off.  Reminds me that it's okay, it's all good.  

SamwiseLovesLife

I got one for £5 on etsy made of black Agate and I love it :) Feels great and reminds me that I'm not the only Ace out in the world <3

SamwiseLovesLife
On 07/03/2017 at 0:56 AM, Mezzo Forte said:

I have recognized ace rings in public before, but the interaction of asking about the ring is super stilted and awkward for me that I don't bother commenting anymore.

I would just say 'I like your ring' and see what they say :)

I never wear jewellery, but I do plan to wear a black ring sometime in my future, but as of right now I do not own one meaning that I don't wear one.  My reason is because I want to, and I'm proud of myself so I'll wear one.

confusedteacup

I usually only wear it when I go out with friends because that's the only time I wear rings or most jewelry. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have one, but I don't normally wear rings. It gets forgotten often, and I can't wear it all of the time because of work. Mine is made of hematite. It is magnetized, so it sticks to things when removed. I also like that if something happens to my finger the ring can be broken and removed easily. It is a really dark gray instead of a true black, but you can't really tell from a distance.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the worlds most extravagant ace ring, I don't just want asexuals to Identify me, I want the entire world to know that I'm flamboyantly ace.

I wear my ring most of the time, mostly as a symbol to other aces if I ever meet any in the wild. People rarely make comment about it, I think owing to the fact that it's a plain black ring, so anyone who sees it and doesn't recognize it as an ace ring just figures it's a subculture fashion thing I guess. No one has recognized it to my knowledge, though I'm unsure about that, as a friend of a friend has a black ring that she wears on the left middle finger (I always heard that ace rings go on the right middle finger, so I don't know if it is an ace ring, and the necessity of handedness is something I'm mistaken on, or if it's not an ace ring, but I've never asked; if it is an ace ring I suppose she'd recognize it but she never mentioned anything to me about it).

• 1 month later...
A caesura is still music

I frequently wear black rings on the middle finger of either hand, more frequently on my right.
It started as a touch stone for myself and they help with the manic episodes I have, however, while I have not had anyone come up to me and ask about my wearing of an ace ring, I do get a lot of other responses. 

When I am around strangers I very frequently get asked if I am wearing a wedding ring, and will usually explain what it means and answer their questions (they always have questions). 

If the questions are anything to go by (including by my freshman in college students), I think it gives a (false) assumption to people that I am not available for romantic relationships and can make some people more comfortable around me. Relationships are so very complicated that I appreciate that breathing room.

I'm a size 4 and most places carry Size 5. My old ace ring is a 5 so it used to be annoying hence I don't wear it.

I imagine that being male I would get questioned about it more often, and I'm not sure I would really want to have to explain to people on a regular basis that I'm wearing an asexuality symbol. I also think that the chance of running into another asexual person who would notice it is pretty low. Furthermore, if I were to see someone wearing a black ring, I would be nervous to ask about it because there's a good chance they're not asexual and are just wearing it as jewelry, which could lead to awkwardness if I have to then explain that my reason for asking was that I thought they might be asexual.

I don't wear a ring. Simply because I'm a fiddler. I'll end up playing with it in lectures and on the bus and at home ad will eventually lose it.

arekathevampyre
On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 11:52 AM, yonah said:

I don't wear a ring but I'm interested in getting one. Any suggestions on material/where to get them?

surgical steel is a good one . 

arekathevampyre

my ring is bought at a shop which caters to couples (couple ring) . No one has asked me anything about the ring which is good . I have not run into any aces in real life yet but will love to . My ring is a silver (surgical steel band) with black enamel (good quality) band around a groove . Simple and nice . I have some stuff engraved on the inside (shh not gonna tell you what haha)  I wear it on the middle finger of my left hand as I am  aro and heard that it is the "forever alone" finger since it is beside the "married" finger . hmmm ... anyone can validate this ?  

Digs_Dead_People

I bought my ring online through Amazon a couple of years back.  To be fair, it's a black LOTR themed ring (black band with gold Elvish script) because I couldn't find any straight black rings that I considered pretty.   

AwkwardAxolotl

I have a black ring (plain black, silicone because my fingers tend to swell a bit when I'm hiking). I don't think anyone has picked up on my being asexual because of me wearing the ring in the five years I've been wearing it.

I don't like wearing jewelry, so I don't have one.

KayBayKitty

In addition to some of the reasons on the poll, I wear a ting as a twiddle object; when I'm having anxiety I spin it around on my finger, take it on and off (although not that one much because an allosexual friend took it crudely) and it gives me something to do with my hands other than pick at my cuticles.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a ring but it got broken. I haven't been able to replace it yet.

DigitalBookDust

I wear an ace ring (seen in my profile pic). I have small fingers so it took me awhile to find one that fit. Thus far no-one has commented on it. The only rings I wear are that one (always) and a Jewish commitment ring from a previous relationship (occasionally). I also have a "A" necklace that I wear most of the time. It's actually an atheist symbolbut I'm so many A things: atheist, ace, aro, and androgynous in appearance. So I like it on many levels. The only other pieces of jewelry I wear are my magen David (a gift from my father many many years ago) and a gender-neutral fox bone bracelet a local artist made for me.

Hi, sorry for not actually answering the poll and instead only leaving a comment. It's just that it's a little complicated.

I do not wear an ace ring, but I want to. I only found out about asexuality recently and I only heard about the ring a few weeks ago. I'm actually looking for one that I like that's affordable and has a decent quality. Right now I'm wearing one I've had for a few years, silver colour with a black stone. I've actually worn it before on my right middle finger because I liked seeing it there, so for now it's like killing two birds with a stone.

But either before or now, no one ever seemed to know about it. At least, no one ever asked me about it. May be because you see more silver than black.

3 hours ago, pRAk said:

I'm actually looking for one that I like that's affordable and has a decent quality.

I got an onyx one on ebay. It was really cheap. It did require some patience to find a size Z/12. I first got an metal one (tungsten carbide I think), but it had a black coating that wore off. Onyx is black all the way through. It's sometimes called other things like black jade. I have a picture of both, but don't know how to post it.

On 12/07/2017 at 11:02 PM, Pramana said:

I would be nervous to ask about it because there's a good chance they're not asexual and are just wearing it as jewelry, which could lead to awkwardness if I have to then explain that my reason for asking was that I thought they might be asexual.

You could ask if they're ace. And make up anything you like beforehand to answer if they ask what ace is.

Archived