Is it possible to be Intersex?

MintIceCream

I have always been a tom boy. Being little I felt wrong, I was over weight and I had long hair and a round face. I wanted to be stronger and able to play sports. It's strange, I feel like a girl some of the time and I look like a girl. But there is something in the back of my head that makes me hate me. I want to tear my own skin off. I want to be taller and stronger. And I'm not trans or gay. Actually I wouldn't even say I like guys I've never had feelings for anyone in my whole life. This has bugged me for two years now. It's tiring, and I hate it! Every day I question my sexuality. I have feelings for no one and I never have. It's like I'm torn in two and I just want it to stop. I don't like not feeling something! This is just hell...

(I also suffer from Major Depression and General Anxiety; I thought I should just mention that). 

Above I mentioned I question my sexuality, to clarify I never think about being either sex. I was in the hospital for over a week when I was born. Supposedly I had problems with my brain. But I just wanted to ask if it's possible that I'm intersex? 

Intersex means you have both female and male organs. It's an abnormality you are born with. It is what use to be referred to as "Hermaphrodite". The people who would know this are your parents, your doctor, or you if you notice any physical differences. So if you can't tell ask your parents, if they say they know nothing you would have to ask a doctor. 

9 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

Intersex means you have both female and male organs. 

not necessary, you can be intersex and not have both male and female organs, but just one or the other.. for example Klinefelters (which I think counts as intersex..) or I think also Swyer syndrome..  (if you do have both sets of organs though you are also intersex..), intersex just means you are (biologically) not able to be strictly defined as male or female... 

but, the only way you can know if you are intersex (if it's not clear due to appearance and such) is going to see a doctor, so if you are concerned, see a doctor..  

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Kleinfelter's people are male , the Y chromosome sees to that, but the amount of X chromosomes they have can modify the maleness so that any external signs are less pronounced, so the more X chromosomes, the less male. In medicine people with Kleinfelter's are called 'Kleinfelter's males'.

Just like women with Turner's syndrome, only one X and no other sex chromosome are Turner's females. 

From what you're saying I doubt you are? I can't confirm though.

Here is a link to some general information about intersex people. (http://www.isna.org/faq/what_is_intersex)

Perhaps looking into genders like agender would be helpful?

On 2/12/2017 at 0:48 AM, MintIceCream said:

I want to be taller and stronger. And I'm not trans or gay. Actually I wouldn't even say I like guys I've never had feelings for anyone in my whole life. This has bugged me for two years now.

I can echo some of this. I'm currently working on the stronger part with a training regimen that will also help me achieve the body I want (bigger and stronger shoulders, for example).

I don't really consider myself 'gay' because I'm not attracted to any genders, and I don't consider myself trans either. However, I do and have had frustrations with the fact that I can't seem to connect with people the way everyone else seems to be able to (as an aromantic asexual). It's something I'm also working on accepting and teaching to people who want me to be happy. I consider this a separate issue from intersex.

• 2 months later...
Squid Vicious

Hey friend.  Trans dude with a degree in biology here.  It looks like some other folks have made alot of the important points.

I would like to add two pieces of information, tho:

1, As far as it being an abnormality, it's actually not -so- uncommon.  The rate of intersex people is about as frequent as natural redheads. You probably know redheads and you probably know intersex people.  Whether they know is the real question.

2, A very creepy thing is that due to societal fears around gender, whether a doctor tells a parent that their child was born intersex is a crapshoot at best.  One excellent example, there's a form of cancer seen in infants called testicular tetranoma- a very aggressive cancer of the testes.  The treatment is removal of the testes.  VERY FREQUENTLY infants born with this cancer are transitioned female WITHOUT knowledge or necessary consent of the parents.  It's an obvious and particularly scary cancer, and when you think about it... A new parent being told their newborn has an aggressive cancer that needs to be removed asap?  Find me the parent that's going to be composed at that moment.  And the nightmare fuel goes deeper: testicular tetranoma isn't an intersex condition- these are are XY babies born with penises.  Society is so dead-set on a binary that an infertile male child will be transitioned into an infertile female.  The only reason for this is aesthetics.  Euuuugh.

And my final note for you.  Have you looked into nonbinary identities?  NO JUDGEMENT FRIENDO-  I just know a LOT of NB folx who've had very similar dysphoric issues to what you described.  And I know some that've even gone on low-dosage HRT to be more congruent.   

• 3 weeks later...
LoyalandTrue

Heya Friend! So an intersex person is one who has sex traits outside the binary; this can refer to "organs" but also to secondary sex characteristics, such as voice, body hair, etc. 

Your description does, as previous posters said, sound like maybe a non binary identity, as much of what you describe relates to how you feel. 

Best of luck to you.

Comrade F&F
On 2/11/2017 at 7:48 PM, MintIceCream said:

I have always been a tom boy. Being little I felt wrong, I was over weight and I had long hair and a round face. I wanted to be stronger and able to play sports. It's strange, I feel like a girl some of the time and I look like a girl. But there is something in the back of my head that makes me hate me. I want to tear my own skin off. I want to be taller and stronger. And I'm not trans or gay. Actually I wouldn't even say I like guys I've never had feelings for anyone in my whole life. This has bugged me for two years now. It's tiring, and I hate it! Every day I question my sexuality. I have feelings for no one and I never have. It's like I'm torn in two and I just want it to stop. I don't like not feeling something! This is just hell...

(I also suffer from Major Depression and General Anxiety; I thought I should just mention that). 

Above I mentioned I question my sexuality, to clarify I never think about being either sex. I was in the hospital for over a week when I was born. Supposedly I had problems with my brain. But I just wanted to ask if it's possible that I'm intersex? 

You strike me as an 'other female' if you don't identify as male in any way. Someone who hates dresses and makeup, tomboyish, has interest in activities that aren't exactly girly. I'm like that too.

If you wanna play sports, go play sports. If you don't want dresses, don't wear dresses. If you want short hair, go get a haircut. Don't be bothered by whatever assumptions others make, because trust me, they'll come regardless. You're gonna learn to roll with it or shrug it off, or you won't embrace your inner you.

Girls and boys don't need to be pegged down into one-size-fits-all cookie cutters. Humans are complicated creatures.

Moved from Intersectionality to Gender Discussion.

TheAP

Intersectionality Moderator

ChillaKilla

You can't "become" intersex- it's a medical condition. Your gender would likely be under the nonbinary umbrella from the sounds of it though.

Archived