What's the last non necessity you bought?

LittleGoody2Shoes

Actually now that I think about it, I just ordered my ace ring 2-days ago. I guess that would be the most recent 

Dress clothes: Black vest, Grey slacks, White shirt, Purple bow-tie. (Where have I seen that color scheme before?)

On 2/10/2017 at 3:52 PM, Sherlocks said:

Do books count? I like books 

Book are a necessity.

I bought a steak on sale at Safeway. It wasn't strictly a necessity because I have other food in the fridge.

I bought a Fitbit Charge2 a few days ago....not sure if that counts. I kinda think it's a necessity because I want to take care of my health.

Oh i bought my GF a bottle of wine yesterday...that's not really a necessity..but kinda because it was a thank you.

I bought a box of cookies too...totally Necessity to go with tea.

On 2/10/2017 at 3:45 PM, Moophie said:

Probably food. There's a local 'chinese' restaurant I LOVE and usually waste $45-$50 every time I order out.

What dishes did you order?

3 minutes ago, Azrael said:

What dishes did you order?

Typically the teriyaki chicken sushi (2 rolls), beef shanghai noodles (omg they're the best), steamed rice and ginger beef. And then of course there's the delivery cost and I always tip.

Just now, Moophie said:

Typically the teriyaki chicken sushi (2 rolls), beef shanghai noodles (omg they're the best), steamed rice and ginger beef. And The of course there's the delivery cost and I always tip.

You're in the suburbs of Ontario aren't you?

argh. that isn't Chinese Food.

*bang head* If you ever make it to Vancouver, let me know and I'll give you a list of places to try.

8 minutes ago, Azrael said:

You're in the suburbs of Ontario aren't you?

argh. that isn't Chinese Food.

*bang head* If you ever make it to Vancouver, let me know and I'll give you a list of places to try.

Oh, I know. That's why I said 'chinese'. But that doesn't mean these dishes aren't absolutely delicious. 

I've had the chance to try more authentic Chinese. A friend of mine from Hong Kong found a decent restaurant in Toronto in a largely Asian area. We only went once but it was fantastic. And her sister cooked up a pig tongue for us once... probably my favourite meat.

But yes, I will absolutely let you know if I'm ever headed that way. It will probably never happen, but I bet it would be amazing.

16 minutes ago, Moophie said:

Oh, I know. That's why I said 'chinese'. But that doesn't mean these dishes aren't absolutely delicious. 

I've had the chance to try more authentic Chinese. A friend of mine from Hong Kong found a decent restaurant in Toronto in a largely Asian area. We only went once but it was fantastic. And her sister cooked up a pig tongue for us once... probably my favourite meat.

But yes, I will absolutely let you know if I'm ever headed that way. It will probably never happen, but I bet it would be amazing.

Hong Fatt BBQ (right by the Art Gallery)

443 Dundas St W, Toronto, ON M5T 1G6

Go there! *LOL*

I think about food every 30 seconds.

2 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Hong Fatt BBQ (right by the Art Gallery)

443 Dundas St W, Toronto, ON M5T 1G6

Go there! *LOL*

I think about food every 30 seconds.

Lol, FOOD.

Okay, how about this, the next time you're headed to Toronto let me know! ;p

47 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Book are a necessity.

I bought a steak on sale at Safeway. It wasn't strictly a necessity because I have other food in the fridge.

I bought a Fitbit Charge2 a few days ago....not sure if that counts. I kinda think it's a necessity because I want to take care of my health.

Oh i bought my GF a bottle of wine yesterday...that's not really a necessity..but kinda because it was a thank you.

I bought a box of cookies too...totally Necessity to go with tea.

What if you cant afford books?

5 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

What if you cant afford books?

the Library awaits

• 2 weeks later...
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Paracord to make paracord keychain hangers and a belt with.

Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich. 
They're having a sale. CAD 3 per sandwich.

I think I've eaten 10 in the past 2 weeks.

nom nom nom!

I bought a yoga block today, because I've started doing yoga. Probably not entirely necessary, but I had been looking for one and it was cheap (seriously, 24,90 € in a sports store and in a smaller store only 3 € :D

A pair of jeans! Don't even know if they're gonna fit, but I wanted to give it a shot :redface: 

That is if you don't count food. I never eat out, but I'm also not exclusively eating instant ramen, so I could eat cheaper thus making it a non-necessity.

11 hours ago, Oceana said:

I bought a yoga block today, because I've started doing yoga. Probably not entirely necessary, but I had been looking for one and it was cheap (seriously, 24,90 € in a sports store and in a smaller store only 3 € :D

It's mostly necessary, especially if you don't want to touch things that everyone else before you have had their hands on. I bought a yoga block two years ago and I use it all the time.

I bought a beautiful boneless pork loin, despite having meat in the freezer.

I ordered a couple books on antenna construction and physics. Should be pretty interesting, maybe I can make something functional that looks okay too.

8 hours ago, Muledeer said:

It's mostly necessary, especially if you don't want to touch things that everyone else before you have had their hands on. I bought a yoga block two years ago and I use it all the time.

I do yoga at home only really, so no fear in touching what others have touched before me :) Bot yoga is manageable without the block so that's way I thought it might qualify here. I do have one book that is equal in size, but I'd rather not step on it, of course.

J. van Deijck

strawberry flavoured milk.

Chicken spring rolls.

Just spent $20 on a pizza even though I have a full pantry. Probably could'vee made one from scratch for less.

On ‎25‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 3:50 PM, Dreamer23 said:

I never eat out, but I'm also not exclusively eating instant ramen, so I could eat cheaper thus making it a non-necessity

Are instant ramen really that dirt cheap in the US & Canada? Over here they look like the upper end of instant food to me. - Recently I stocked up like crazy (i.e. stuffed my backpack 3 times in a row) because a supermarket once again had Asia week tossing out bundles of 5 packs at 1 Euro. - Single packs seem normally above 35ct more like 49ct? That feels so unaffordable when you get 500g of bagged rice or noodles for the same money and something to flavor those doesn't look too expensive.

I splurged on lens caps when I mail ordered 3 i.e. 2 to loose + 1 I needed from China.

29 minutes ago, Busrider said:

Are instant ramen really that dirt cheap in the US & Canada? Over here they look like the upper end of instant food to me. - Recently I stocked up like crazy (i.e. stuffed my backpack 3 times in a row) because a supermarket once again had Asia week tossing out bundles of 5 packs at 1 Euro. - Single packs seem normally above 35ct more like 49ct? That feels so unaffordable when you get 500g of bagged rice or noodles for the same money and something to flavor those doesn't look too expensive.

I splurged on lens caps when I mail ordered 3 i.e. 2 to loose + 1 I needed from China.

Hah, no, you are right, I just went with it because of the stereotype! :D

It's very close though - mostly because pasta seems more expensive. I recall back in Germany during college my diet at times switched to nothing but 39 cents a pound for noodles - it definitely was the cheapest way of getting your calories :)

It probably still is around here, but not by a large margin.

Pasta around here is 79 cents a pound (store brand), netting you around 1750 calories or 4.514 cents per 100 calories.

Ramen is available at 20 cents for a 400 calorie pack (so an even 5 cents per 100 calories)

Even if  one were  to consume the FDAs 2k calories a day (which most people comparing the cents probably don't), that'd make a difference of less than 10 cents a day. Considering how addictive the science goo in instant ramen is, I can definitely see how it has become a synonym for low cost food in the US :)

Thanks a ton for getting back @Dreamer23! That was quite enlightening. - I envy you for your American ramen pricing. - I guess over here the (4x as expensive?) higher power consumption of cooking noodles hits the cheapskates. I'm not sure about the calories issue. - Some folks counting cents might be in a desperate phase but most make it a long term life style and well: What will happen if one believes to have money and starved for days or weeks before? - Probably better to stuff(!) oneself with the inexpensive food at home than with fast alternatives on the go.

3 hours ago, Busrider said:

Some folks counting cents might be in a desperate phase but most make it a long term life style and well

Argh, I'm super sorry!

I never meant to imply people buying low-cost food was in any way exclusive to those in a desperate phase!

I just used it as an example of one extreme - in hindsight that was probably a poor choice.

As a matter of fact, I do believe fiscal responsibility is a skill far too many are bad at,

I'm also still watching the pricing of my food (with cheap instant ramen on the menu at times! :D) and never eat out if avoidable, despite the fact that I have a stable job with good income and could eat whatever I want.

--> Super sorry if I offended anyone with my initial example in any way, that was definitely not my intention! :redface:

Archived