school dance lesson.....

j a c k

Oh my god. We had the corniest moment at school the other day. I'm in my last year and we have the school ball tomorrow and on Wednesday we had to do 'dance practice' and the dance teacher walks in and immediately says "girls on one side boys on the other" to our entire year group (there's over 200 of us) and god it was the worst. 

I'm nonbinary and aro ace, my friend is trans and my other friend is genderfluid and pan ace. 

Man, I was suffering that whole time. 

And the dance teacher kept saying things like "if you can't dance with someone of the opposite gender then we have a problem" as if the reason was because we're all hetero and nervous. It was the worst

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

Sorry that you had to go through that.

Your teacher is just.....<_<

That seems like hell. The teacher sounds so inconsiderate...

Last term, we (my class, consisting of only girls) had to choose a song to choreograph a group dance over a few weeks. Stereotypical peers took a democratic vote and the song chosen was "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls. (I've actually spent my entire life, until seeing it written down last week, thinking it was called "Wallaby" for some reason xD). THE MOVEMENTS WERE SO BLATANTLY SEXUALISED. And the lessons were compulsory. Dance sucks.

I got lucky my high school wasn't crazy enough to have teachers that do this. 

My middle school though decided to teach square dancing and I already knew most of the moves because I used to dance it's predecessor (colonial dancing) and yeah. Traditionally it goes back to quite a few centuries for that divide. 

I used to take ballet too- but I was never uncomfortable doing it aside from the pain that is pointe shoes. 

Ugh I'm sorry. =( As if out of 200 pupils no one would be trans or queer. 

When I was in 11th grade we had to choose a dance project. I avoided the standard dance and had to choose hip hop instead. I used to think it was all about the "dancing with men" that threw me off but honestly, back then I wasn't even completely out as queer to myself. In retrospect I think it was more about the men/woman thing that made my skin crawl. (my touch aversion wasn't as bad back then)

Urgh, that sounds cringe-worthy. I went to an all girls school and once we were all pulled out of lessons to go to a special assembly where a make up artist taught us all how to make ourselves up. I'm 30 so this wasn't all that long ago. Apparently we had to learn to be all dolled up in order to go to work or we'd never get promoted, or some cr@p like that! It was my worst nightmare, seeing as I'm not at all feminine! Our dance lessons were pretty awkward but in a completely different way. As there were no males, half of the girls had to play the male role in dances (usually the bigger ones like me, for the lifts etc) so I actually got off quite lightly and avoided having to do any twirls or dainty moves lol. There were girls in my class who weren't comfortable in the male role just on account of being tall though, understandably! So many people hate school dance, for so many reasons. It should be optional!

I don't think these kinds of things even cross some people's minds. I've had stuff like that happen while I was still questioning, ("photo time! Men in the back and ladies in the front!~") and I loathed the fact that the world was asking me to declare my gender during a time when I didn't know the answer, forcing me to essentially misgender myself.

Some dance circles have taken to lead/follow terminology rather than man/woman, but a lot of places still impose gender lines, unfortunately. (You should have seen how many people asked me "are you sure?" when I opted to learn lead for salsa dancing before I was really passing.)

On 2/9/2017 at 6:54 PM, Hattiie said:

Oh my god. We had the corniest moment at school the other day. I'm in my last year and we have the school ball tomorrow and on Wednesday we had to do 'dance practice' and the dance teacher walks in and immediately says "girls on one side boys on the other" to our entire year group (there's over 200 of us) and god it was the worst. 

I'm nonbinary and aro ace, my friend is trans and my other friend is genderfluid and pan ace. 

Man, I was suffering that whole time. 

And the dance teacher kept saying things like "if you can't dance with someone of the opposite gender then we have a problem" as if the reason was because we're all hetero and nervous. It was the worst

:o

Can they really make u dance with the opposite gender? I'm so sorry. What grade r u in, if I may ask? Have you tried talking to your dance teacher and explaining that it makes you feel uncomfortable? Given you're teacher's comments, I would imagine that u probably wouldn't feel comfortable talking to them, but I'm sure if you explained this to your parents they could probably talk to your teacher or something and get your teacher to find some way to accommodate you (possibly by allowing you to dance with the someone of the same gender?). U know just in case this ever happens again. I really hope it doesn't!

I remember something similar happening back when I was a kid, but I always thought it was only my %#$%$ school that did this type of ****. I pulled some random crap to get out of it and dragged some of my friends along with me (even those who actually wanted to dance with boys). Now, I certainly don't recommend doing that. Lucky for me, my friends and I didn't get in trouble. Back then I didn't think anyone would understand so I did what I had to do to get out of this crap. But I'm sure that there's some way to get your teacher to understand how uncomfortable u r with this.

On 2/20/2017 at 8:57 AM, helana12_03 said:

:o

Can they really make u dance with the opposite gender? I'm so sorry. What grade r u in, if I may ask? Have you tried talking to your dance teacher and explaining that it makes you feel uncomfortable? Given you're teacher's comments, I would imagine that u probably wouldn't feel comfortable talking to them, but I'm sure if you explained this to your parents they could probably talk to your teacher or something and get your teacher to find some way to accommodate you (possibly by allowing you to dance with the someone of the same gender?). U know just in case this ever happens again. I really hope it doesn't!

I remember something similar happening back when I was a kid, but I always thought it was only my %#$%$ school that did this type of ****. I pulled some random crap to get out of it and dragged some of my friends along with me (even those who actually wanted to dance with boys). Now, I certainly don't recommend doing  that. Lucky for me, my friends and I didn't get in trouble. Back then I didn't think anyone would understand so I did what I had to do to get out of this crap. But I'm sure that there's some way to get your teacher to understand how uncomfortable u r with this.

I'm in year 12 which is the last year of high school for us 

Luckily it was a one off thing so I haven't bothered with going to do anything about it but if it was happening often I would definitely say something. luckily me and my best friend (he's trans but not out) danced together because we just stood in the corner until it looked there was no other option but each other! 

I've never heard any rules against this.. i think the teacher needs to catch up with the times. 

There are teachers I know would be accommodating for LGBT kids but unfortunately she's not one of them....

I'm glad you managed to get out of it when you were younger though! 

On 2/21/2017 at 4:13 AM, Hattiie said:

I'm in year 12 which is the last year of high school for us 

Luckily it was a one off thing so I haven't bothered with going to do anything about it but if it was happening often I would definitely say something. luckily me and my best friend (he's trans but not out) danced together because we just stood in the corner until it looked there was no other option but each other! 

I've never heard any rules against this.. i think the teacher needs to catch up with the times. 

There are teachers I know would be accommodating for LGBT kids but unfortunately she's not one of them....

I'm glad you managed to get out of it when you were younger though! 

For me it wasn't an LGBT issue. It was more of an aromantic/I'm too young for this issue (I think was like 9 at the time). But yeah. This whole boys have to dance with girls thing is pretty old fashioned. 

I'm glad you were able to find a dance partner you felt a bit more comfortable dancing with.

Archived