Do people ever assume you are gay?

Sherlocks

Yeah, it has to do with the way I dress (quite typically masculine), the fact that I've been single for a few years now and that I don't find men aesthetically attractive and even sometimes gush about how pretty girls are and I express slight disgust over seeing men shirtless.

I kind of think most people I met today (friends of a colleague with whom I went to a city festival) assumed I was gay. I guess I was looking the part.

And a person of indeterminate gender was throwing me very cryptic looks the whole time, which I don't even know how to begin to interpret.

A lot of people think that. Partially cause they find it suspicious that I don't care about guys or dating, partially because there's a strange stereotype that all choir nerds are gay.

This, for whatever reason, only seems to happen with hetero people I meet. Most of my gay friends tended to think I was a staunch heterosexual. I often tend to hold off on coming out in diverse crowds just to watch the ensuing debate. But then again, I'm a cruel sport.

On 2/4/2017 at 1:29 AM, chair jockey said:

My parents once asked me whether I was gay, but it was a long time ago. I think I was 15 and had never mentioned having feelings for a girl. I hadn't mentioned having feelings for a boy, either, but that didn't stop them from asking the question.

Many years later, in my 30s, a guy suggested that I'm gay because I had lived with my parents until about two years earlier and "a lot of gay guys live with their parents a long time." :P Believe it or not that guy was gay himself.

I don't understand this type of logic 

I have constantly had people assume I'm a lesbian because I don't always act or dress conventionally feminine. And something about my demeanor I suppose. 

fluffyfingers

Not many, but a few. I didn't really notice till I was having a drink with a friend and she was like, "someday you'll find the right guy or -pause and raised eyebrow- girl" 

I didn't mind it though, I thought it was sweet. Like people are just wanting me to be happy, in general. 

Yes. I don't mind although it can be annoying sometimes. It's not a reflection of me anyway.

Maybe it has to do with things I have dealt with in my life, or the fact that I don't really care what people think, but I have never put second thought to it. People have asked if I am gay a few times, I say no and walk away. It's my life, I am only require to love, help and be happy. Not make someone else happy about how I live.

Not until I started working. I don't think my friends care about my dating life. They have their own relationship problems. They'll ask if there are any guys I'm interested in, but never assumed. At least not out loud anyway lol.

Warning. Rest of story might be a bit long. Ranted a little with an expletive or two.

At my first job, I've had a few people ask me if I had a boyfriend. Nope. So then they'll ask a very broad and general question of what I'm interested in. I don't really have an answer for that. I base my opinion from personality, which takes much longer to know than a head to toe glance. I mean I'll appreciate a good looking guy, but if he's an ass then forget it.

One ex-coworker who was apparently very bored with her own life. Decided to mess with me and another friend. My friend is a guy.. and I guess according to this ex-coworker's twisted logic, if a guy and a girl are so close but not dating, they MUST BE gay. Yes my friend can be a bit on the girly side, but he's never shown any indication that he was gay. He's a genuinely very nice guy. I'm a tomboy. I like tshirts and shorts and I don't wear makeup. I'm not as nice as my friend, but I am to people I like. So we're basically two very nice people who happened to be very close friends.

This bitch. Decided to spread rumors at work that he's gay and I'm lesbian. One ex-coworker finally couldn't handle it anymore and told me. Boy I cut all ties with this woman immediately and she knew right away I found out. Never admitted it. Never apologized. Actually tried to twist it around that I was being distant all of a sudden. Bitch please. Even if I were bi/lesbian, she would be at the bottom of what I find attractive in a woman in terms of looks and personality. Fyi Natalie Portman is my standard of looks. That jawline. And brains of course.

Fortunately for the two of us, not only did everybody at work already not like her, but we made a good impressions as hard workers when we were newcomers so they either didn't believe what she said or didn't care.

K done.

When people meet me at first they think I'm straight and ask me if I have girlfriend, some girl who likes me or things like that... but when they know me better they stop making assumptions and ask for both genders and I keep being ambiguous what brings me very funny situations. I'm ace and biromantic but I haven't too many crushes.

Archived