New Project Team member needed: Resources and Survey Director.: Nominations

Kelly

We are now taking nominations for a PT member for the office of Resources and Survey Director.

The Project Team is in charge of visibility projects on AVEN.

Possible Project Team activities include:

- dealing with AVEN's media and research requests,

- managing resources,

- giving help to others with their visibility projects.

All PT positions have a duration of 2 years. If anyone steps down in that time, a new election will be held and the replacement will have a new term of 2 years.

The office that is presently in need of an officer is the Resources and Survey Director, described as:

Responsibilities: The primary responsibilities of this position are to run an annual asexuality community survey, to write up an analysis of the results, and to work on developing asexuality related resources. It is expected that these will be accomplished through putting together and leading small teams to work on these issues. This position is intended to ensure that a survey is conducted each year to help document the state of asexuality organizing and to address various questions of interest, to analyze the results and keep interested people informed, and to work on developing other asexuality-related resources. It is expected that during the first year of this position, the survey will be their primary responsibility, as it will require conferring with a number of individuals to put together standard items to be largely reused each year. After the first year, the survey will already be largely constructed, and so less time will be involved in running the survey. It is expected that for a few months each year, the annual survey will be this person's primary responsibility, and during the rest of the year, working of development of other resources will be their primary responsibility.

Requirements: People applying for this position should have familiarity with Excel, be able to lead small teams working on developing resources as needed, have good writing skills, and either have a general familiarity with basic statistics or be able to learn.

If you think that you would be an awesome AVEN Resources and Survey Director of the Project Team, please throw you hat, turnip, whatever, in here.

To run, qualifications include that a person must have been a member for at least 6 months, and have at least 100 posts that are not in the Just For Fun or Welcome Area forums. You also cannot run with an active, current, warning. A bio is required by voting time.

Thursday, 2 February to Thursday, 9 February 2017: Nominations.

Thursday, 9 February to Sunday, 12 February 2017: Dedicated Q&A period.

Sunday, 12 February to Sunday, Sunday, 19 February 2017: Voting!

Hi, I'm the lead data analyst of the AVEN Survey Team.  The Resources and Survey Director takes a leadership role on our team, so I would interact closely with whoever is elected.

The AVEN Survey Team is a group of volunteers who run the annual Asexual Community Census, perform data analysis, and publicize results.  You might have noticed that we have successfully run annual surveys since 2014, but we have not yet published results since the 2015 survey.  This is because the main challenge we face is lack of labor.

The main role of the Resources and Survey Director is not to perform labor themselves (although it doesn't hurt), but to mobilize us volunteers to work.  You need to assign us roles, create timelines, and make sure we actually follow the timelines.  You may also need to recruit more volunteers.

If that seems too intimidating, I should say that we are somewhat capable of running ourselves independently.  We can walk you through everything.  But a little leadership could be a big help!

As far as technical skills go, the Survey Director does not have to be capable of doing data analysis themselves.  After all, you have volunteers for that.  However, some general quantitative skills could be helpful in understanding the work you're overseeing.

BTW: Ciri and I do not get along.  Whether that's a dealbreaker or not, we can figure out in the Q&A.  I would like to see some other nominees though.

18 minutes ago, Siggy said:

BTW: Ciri and I do not get along.  Whether that's a dealbreaker or not, we can figure out in the Q&A.  I would like to see some other nominees though.

No nominee should basically be told to stuff it by any acting member of the team, and that reads very much like it, especially on a public forum, I think someone needs to have a word with Siggy.

I like to see a good competition for roles though, Choice is good.

Everybody,  this thread is for nominations. 

Questioning and commenting on the suitability of candidates can wait for the campaign, so we do not deter candidates from standing 

41 minutes ago, Siggy said:

If that seems too intimidating, I should say that we are somewhat capable of running ourselves independently. 

This begs the question of whether an elected role is even necessary anymore. Wouldn't it just be easier and more efficient for the team to run itself and pick its own leadership? 

I certainly don't mean to discourage Ciri from running, not unless Ciri themself believes it to be a dealbreaker.

2 hours ago, skit` said:

This begs the question of whether an elected role is even necessary anymore. Wouldn't it just be easier and more efficient for the team to run itself and pick its own leadership? 

That is a decision that the Survey Director could consider after the election.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

All are chosen and looked through, if you need help with somethings in this position some should be glad to help you and train you in someway or another. I'd sure love to try it but I'll be out of state in May for 6 months and will not be able to be on much.

9 hours ago, Siggy said:

Did you need to post that for everyone and Ciri to see?  

You all seem to think I am attacking Ciri.  But our personal differences are clearly relevant information, especially since Ciri may not have known that the position would involve interacting with me.  I am simply conveying that information in a non-critical way.  I do not believe that hiding or ignoring this information would be a mature way to handle it.  Ciri and I could work through our differences, but not by pretending they don't exist.

@faeriefate, I do not work on AVEN.  I am not elected, and I do not interact with admods.

Siggy can ask me or anybody else questions in the Q&A. Until then, I will not be addressing any questions which may arise due to the potential for derailing this thread which is for noms only. 

This position requires somebody able to stay on track and act as a leader. Which is what I'm doing in this thread: leading by example. So please take my lead and refrain from any more of this discussion in this thread. 

Thank you all for your support :) 

Just to add my two cents to anyone considering whether to run - don't stress about the analytics stuff! While it would be nice to have someone with that experience, that's not our main criteria. The big thing that we need is someone who can do basic project management and keep an open line between us and the PT - basically, someone who can schedule regular check-ins with both the PT and the Survey Team, and help make sure that each are meeting their deadlines and staying in communication. It may occasionally also involve mediating conflict between survey team members, but there's usually not too much of that.

Although, one note I will also add that wasn't mentioned in the original description is that the survey team also handles a lot of sensitive personal information that needs to be kept confidential, so keeping that protected is one thing that you should make sure you can do - personal integrity is big for this role. (We also do a lot of interacting with the public and with other asexual activists and organizations, so good PR skills would also be a nice bonus)

But yeah, as another member of the Survey Team, we can teach you all the ropes, and you don't need to involve yourself in the nitty-gritty of analytics - just help us stick to our deadlines and keep everyone in the loop :)

On 2/6/2017 at 0:05 PM, Siggy said:

You all seem to think I am attacking Ciri.  But our personal differences are clearly relevant information, especially since Ciri may not have known that the position would involve interacting with me.  I am simply conveying that information in a non-critical way.  I do not believe that hiding or ignoring this information would be a mature way to handle it.  Ciri and I could work through our differences, but not by pretending they don't exist.

@faeriefate, I do not work on AVEN.  I am not elected, and I do not interact with admods.

You posted what you do with the position and that you work closely with it. That's all that needed to be said - only Ciri needed to know they would need to work with you. The rest of the membership didn't need to know you don't get along with her. That was just drama baiting.

Since both Ciri and Siggy seemed to have moved on, can we get back to the nominations instead of dragging the drama back?

Can someone remind me what the actual ending time for final nominations is? I am guessing around 11:59pm tonight (so in like 10 hours) but even after all these years I can never remember what the actual ending time is.

6 minutes ago, Sennkestra said:

Can someone remind me what the actual ending time for final nominations is? I am guessing around 11:59pm tonight (so in like 10 hours) but even after all these years I can never remember what the actual ending time is.

I think approximately 12pm EST tomorrow

Well, I thought about some things and I'm throwing in my turnip now too

180px-Peach_Down_Special_Throw_Ground_Hi

Archived