Psychologists interpreting aromanticism as features of Aspergers?

GloomyGhost

So I just returned from an evaluation with a psychologist. She thinks I have schizoid features (which I definitely relate to a lot) and, what surprised me, "slight features of Asperger's" (which I don't relate to whatsoever). Now that I returned home I think back of what we talked about and I feel like one thing that might make her think that was when she asked me about boyfriends. I'm aromantic (and I believe it definitely relates to the schizoid features).

It went down like this:

I said I didn't want one and she apparently thought it was really surprising and kept asking me to "describe it" because it was "interesting". She asked if I would be bothered by it and I said yes, definitely. And she was like "describe it more... do you think he would make you go places or something?" and at this point I started feeling a little weird about it because the way she said it sounded like she assumed I was attracted to boys, but there was "something" stopping me from pursuing them, which is not it at all and I didn't want her to misunderstand, but at the same time didn't want to go into asexuality etc. I said I didn't understand the concept, she pointed out it sounded technical and I said "yeah, well... you just appoint another person to yourself, like... why?". Which probably does sound confusing to a romantic, I admit that.

So the question is... could this possibly be what made her think I have features of Asperger's? Because I honestly don't think I have any at all. I might sometimes not fully understand social interractions, but I think that it's more because I don't feel the need to have it much (hence the schizoid features), so for example I sometimes don't get why people talk to me in the first place because I don't relate to it, but I understand social cues (I can detect sarcasm, gestures etc. "normally"). The "not understanding the need for romantic relationships" might have made her have the wrong impression? She clearly never heard about aromanticism and I think she misunderstood what I was trying to say.

It's an evaluation, not an official diagnosis, so it's okay, but I now wonder if mental health professionals misinterpret aromanticism sometimes... they most probably do and that's sad :/

Edit: This is a seriously old thread that I made the very day I got back from there because I was feeling really weird and confused about the interraction. I thought it would die after a few days, but somehow it got rehashed . You don't need to reply anymore.

I am Aro and Ace too, and yes, it usually correlates with Schizoid. They share a lot in common actually. Let me get the graph. So you can be one or the other, but they each have things in common. There are many autistic people and schizoid people on AVEN. 

autism-spectrum-schizoid-personality-sim

AsexualMemeTrash

I have Asperger's though I've never had anyone say that that's why I'm asexual. 

Anthracite_Impreza

@Tofu God; I agree with the rest of the diagram but not the "lack of interest in sharing interests with others"; everyone I know is inundated with my interests whether they like it or not ;)

I wouldn't think too much of it. Your therapist is here to examine, so she's trying to get as much information as possible. She doesn't want to miss a possible factor in what makes you, well, you. Maybe she'll end up finding correlations she can work with, whatever she might find out in the end :) 

21 minutes ago, Tofu God said:

I am Aro and Ace too, and yes, it usually correlates with Schizoid. They share a lot in common actually. Let me get the graph. So you can be one or the other, but they each have things in common. There are many autistic people and schizoid people on AVEN. 

autism-spectrum-schizoid-personality-sim

That's a cool graph. The autism spectrum traits don't describe me at all (maybe one a little). The schizoid and shared ones I do relate to.

My opinion and one I have spent a long time building, is that Asexuality and aromanticism can be symptomatic of other things, there can be a "cause".. It can be a product of something else.. 

I Do NOT think that this is always the case. 

I Do NOT think it matters to anyone including the person who is ace/aro what is cause, or if there is one... I really don't think it should matter to anyone else.

I think that perception though matters. Many people on the outside of Ace/Aro look for reasons to dismiss Asexuality as "Not a thing", and I think some aces/aros don't like it to be questioned or admit to causality at all, and in some cases distance themselves from those where there is causality. I think many disagreements arise from this. 

As I mentioned in the Chemo-Asexuality thread , and it was discussed there, many asexuals define asexuality differently and with narrower terms... I often think this might explain the huge plethora of descriptive terms. There seems there are more words to describe the lacking of something than to describe the contrary. This is not a criticism, just an observation. 

Our subsection of society is very diverse indeed, very personal and very subjective.

I would suggest the overall demographic of AVEN also points to other "causalities". Again... Please don't shoot me down angrily.. It's just an observation. 

I am asexual by every definition out there... But because I have no libldo what so ever, some people, and these are people whom I respect, and whose opinions I respect greatly, don't class me as "asexual", add to that I have a good idea of the cause (Very low testosterone due to 6 years of heavy morphine use(not abuse)) I am some how not "really" asexual... But believe me. I want sex just as little, and find the idea of it just as grim and off putting as anyone else who describes how they feel... More so in some cases.. 

So the idea that the medical profession view it as possibly a symptom of other things, that's a good thing... If it is something that has changed then it is worth getting checked out. There are all sorts of causes, some of them life threatening. 

But to clarify I accept that some asexuals have libido.. But I don't think you must have libido to be asexual.

As for aromantics.. I know many have no cause, but for many it is a part of a larger diagnosis.  

For me... it doesn't matter... To others it does. 

I am afraid we cannot have much help from people who cannot feel like us. Surely there are some who

are good willing but we need someone who feel like us. We may need a new Psychology.

This is not a joke. I have read to some extent the book of Feldman

Development across life span.

There is no mention to asexuality as I could see. One should learn to concieve things on a different way.

I do not say that it should be so revolutionary, but bear in mind thenew way that Galileo concieved physics. 

12 minutes ago, gery said:

I am afraid we cannot have much help from people who cannot feel like us. Surely there are some who

are good willing but we need someone who feel like us. We may need a new Psychology.

The point of therapy is to have someone have an unbiased look at you and your life circumstances. Therapy isn't about being able to relate but about detecting flaws and developing tools to tackle/handle those flaws.

The therapist would ask the same questions if they were a-whatever, because feelings are a case-by-case situation. I read so many stories of people being laughted at or being made fun of because they are a-something. I haven't experienced anything like that (ok, one tiny exception which doesn't make much of a difference). The impact of personal circumstances varies greatly; some people are more sensitive to certain influences than others. It's all about figuring stuff out, no matter the orientation of the therapist.

7 minutes ago, Lord Grep said:

My opinion and one I have spent a long time building, is that Asexuality and aromanticism can be symptomatic of other things, there can be a "cause".. It can be a product of something else.. 

I Do NOT think that this is always the case. 

I Do NOT think it matters to anyone including the person who is ace/aro what is cause, or if there is one... I really don't think it should matter to anyone else.

As for aromantics.. I know many have no cause, but for many it is a part of a larger diagnosis.  

I totally agree. As I said and will always straight up say, aromanticism in my case is a part of the (probably) schizoid personality. It is a part of something bigger because I don't really feel platonic attraction either and it feels the same. I have known that long before I even knew what aromanticism or SPD were. When I discovered aromanticism, I had a brief moment of "wow, it's just an orientation, maybe I'm normal after all", but then I remembered I still didn't like anyone platonically, so... nah. But I'm still aromantic, it's just a part of something.

My concern was rather that she might have only said I had Asperger's traits because of the way I talked about being aromantic when I probably don't have them. Because I said something along the lines of "I don't understand it (romance)" and she might have took it as "I don't understand social relationships at all". And I wonder if that happens in general. I guess I was just taken aback by how confused she was by it. One would say psychologists would have at least at some point heard of asexuality, if nothing else.

The problem is that the therapist cannot concieve that somebody has no sexual drives. It seems so natural for him that he cannot give you an unbiased advice.

I may give you a suggestion. Many gays and lesbians are forming couples or even make families. The man and the woman in this union have no sexual bond. What is the opinion of therapists ?

1 minute ago, gery said:

The problem is that the therapist cannot concieve that somebody has no sexual drives. It seems so natural for him that he cannot give you an unbiased advice.

Therapy is much more textbook than it's personal. They've got different sets of "tools" to work with; basically they try to figure out which set of tools fits your situation best. Personal opinions simply don't matter as much as you seem to think, if at all.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I wouldn't think too much of it. Your therapist is here to examine, so she's trying to get as much information as possible. She doesn't want to miss a possible factor in what makes you, well, you. Maybe she'll end up finding correlations she can work with, whatever she might find out in the end :) 

I couldn't agree with this more. I think a lot of times people expect health care providers to be mind readers, and mental health providers most of all. All they have to go on is the combination of our presentation, our affect, and what we choose to tell them/ not tell them. They are trained to make assessments and recognize patterns. Those patterns aren't clear the minute we walk in the door, and sometimes an assessment is just that: an assessment. If you say something that may be significant, she would be remiss not to examine it further. It may be that the line of assessment ends up leading to nothing; it may not, but that doesn't mean it's wrong or unnecessary.

6 minutes ago, GloomyGhost said:

My concern was rather that she might have only said I had Asperger's traits because of the way I talked about being aromantic when I probably don't have them. Because I said something along the lines of "I don't understand it (romance)" and she might have took it as "I don't understand social relationships at all". And I wonder if that happens in general. I guess I was just taken aback by how confused she was by it. One would say psychologists would have at least at some point heard of asexuality, if nothing else.

I think that has more to do with the fact that psychologists like many medical fields are trained in a symptomatic way, they are not constantly updating themselves of social norms and nomenclature. They are just trying to assess what symptoms you have and how you see yourself and others and then trying to see if you have the criteria for a diagnosis. I have no idea how long your consultation was, and how much time the person had to assess you..

I doubt their lack of knowledge meant you were being misdiagnosed, and asexuality, and aromanticism is pretty niche. I am not sure it will be in the journals etc psychologists read...

It would be interesting to know from an actual psychologist their opinion. I know though that they will ask you questions, or act in odd ways though to get a response. Who knows might have been that. Shrinks are a real shady bunch..

Well it is up to everybody to choose his stategy. The basic point is that as an asexual you are

Different from the majority. You belong to 1/100 of the population. What do you do ?

Try to resemble to the 93/100 of usual people ?

That is what my psychologist suggested.

I must confess l have not decided yet, but surely it is s bit difficult to pretend with your partner .

Judging from time that I've spent on a schizoid forum, many schizoids are in fact "confused" about many social conventions - in the sense of just not seeing any point in them. Are you sure, that it was this very thing, that made your psychologist think, that you might have ASD traits as well? It might have been something completely different - even your general demeanor, for all I know :o Of course I'm not saying, that you have a ASD-like demeanor, but I've met some people who were completely unaware of their own social awkwardness. Again, I'm not hinting that you're like that, it's just an example.

But maybe if the ASD-traits thing bothers you a lot, why not bring it up the next time you see the psychologist, and ask, what exactly are the ASD symptoms that they're seeing in you? If they're supposed to help you, wouldn't it make sense to tell you, what exactly the "problems" are?

On 2/2/2017 at 3:00 PM, GloomyGhost said:

So I just returned from an evaluation with a psychologist. She thinks I have schizoid features (which I definitely relate to a lot) and, what surprised me, "slight features of Asperger's" (which I don't relate to whatsoever). Now that I returned home I think back of what we talked about and I feel like one thing that might make her think that was when she asked me about boyfriends. I'm aromantic (and I believe it definitely relates to the schizoid features).

It went down like this:

I said I didn't want one and she apparently thought it was really surprising and kept asking me to "describe it" because it was "interesting". She asked if I would be bothered by it and I said yes, definitely. And she was like "describe it more... do you think he would make you go places or something?" and at this point I started feeling a little weird about it because the way she said it sounded like she assumed I was attracted to boys, but there was "something" stopping me from pursuing them, which is not it at all and I didn't want her to misunderstand, but at the same time didn't want to go into asexuality etc. I said I didn't understand the concept, she pointed out it sounded technical and I said "yeah, well... you just appoint another person to yourself, like... why?". Which probably does sound confusing to a romantic, I admit that.

So the question is... could this possibly be what made her think I have features of Asperger's? Because I honestly don't think I have any at all. I might sometimes not fully understand social interractions, but I think that it's more because I don't feel the need to have it much (hence the schizoid features), so for example I sometimes don't get why people talk to me in the first place because I don't relate to it, but I understand social cues (I can detect sarcasm, gestures etc. "normally"). The "not understanding the need for romantic relationships" might have made her have the wrong impression? She clearly never heard about aromanticism and I think she misunderstood what I was trying to say.

It's an evaluation, not an official diagnosis, so it's okay, but I now wonder if mental health professionals misinterpret aromanticism sometimes... they most probably do and that's sad :/

You mentioned that you're aromantic which means that you probably have no experience with romantic relationships. Just like kids who haven't experienced romantic relationships or any type of attraction fail to understand the need for a partner, you can't understand why people want to be in romantic relationship because you don't have it in you. How can you relate to something that is completely foreign to you? You've never been attracted to anyone why would you want to be in a romantic relationship? It doesn't mean that you're aspie or anything, just like straights who don't feel the need to date their own gender don't have aspergers. I'm no expert but I'm assuming that if you have aspie traits, them maybe you have it but based on what you said it doesn't seem like you do, does it? 

Generally speaking psychologists don't know sh** about asexuality and aromanticism. I've been misdiagnosed with so many things because of my asexuality and aromanticism that they might as well have diagnosed me with every single condition in the textbook. Gays used to be misdiagnosed and mistreated too just for being gay up till 40-50 years ago. 

I don't know where you live, but if you live in the US many therapists in this country tend to over-diagnose people with random crap because that's how they get money from health insurance. Insurance companies are much more likely to pay for certain disorders or "covered conditions". Also, diagnosing you with one of these covered conditions gets your insurance to pay for more sessions, meaning more $$ for your therapist or one of her colleagues. If I were you I'd go get a second opinion and make sure the second opinion therapist was familiar with and accepting of asexuality and doesn't diagnose people with random crap just to get more money from insurance.

• 5 months later...

Therapists make a "first impressions" diagnosis which may change over the course of therapy. If you don't relate to it I wouldn't worry about it too much, you can even bring it up with her at your next session (if you decide to go again) you can ask her if she'd be open to looking into aromanticism for you so you can talk about it more. It's important to find a therapist who you feel like you can talk to without being judged, and that listens to you. So if you feel her telling you that you have traits of Aspergers was presumptive or her trying to explain away your aromanticism, you can discuss that with her or even try a different therapist. Remember that you're paying her for a service, so if you feel she isn't helping you, it's okay to go to someone different. It sucks when people don't understand it/try to dismiss it, therapy itself can be grueling so be proud that you even went!  

LittleGoody2Shoes

To be honest I'm so tired of everyone saying that anything out of the ordinary about someone is aspergers or ASD. Every little quirk someone has could not make them all aspies.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2017 at 0:00 PM, GloomyGhost said:

It went down like this:

Asexuality is considered linked aswell

On 2/2/2017 at 0:00 PM, GloomyGhost said:

It went down like this:

I do think she misunderstood you though. 

I think her asking you to describe it (especially asking about going out) was a check for an anxiety disorder.  Slight features of ASD might be something as simple as poor eye contact or failures to notice social cues or something like that, that you might not even be aware of doing or not doing.   They way you answered doesn't sound particularly ASD.

Hello I'm new here..I've read the forum before but never created an account but well I've now! Hi! xD i just want to ask, why go with a psychologist anyway? I really never feel the need to go one but I've seen maaaany comments of asexuals that go to the psychologist or sexologist with the time. But why? :huh: 

The first time I've told my mom about asexuality she want to me go with her psychologist friend but I don't wanted cuz I don't feel I needed, then she ask her if have seen something like this before and was the first time she heard about asexuality sooo... She's more focused on problems of couple relationship, although not exclusively. And she's veeeery good with her job, but so like her there must be many psychologists who don't know about our subject,and therefore will tell us that we've some condition that probably don't have,for that I think would be good that you see another psychologist before you really assume this diagnostic :mellow:

pd. English is not my language but if see some write really wrong don't doubt to correct me. Then I can learn xD 

FinneganOFay

Since I'm not a professional and I haven't met you, I can't speak to your personal experience, but I can say something about my experience as AFAB and on the autism spectrum, and you can decide whether it's useful for you. Usually when we think of autism spectrum disorders, we think of just the male expression of them, since that was what was originally described. It's only recently that ASD has become better understood in women, and it often appears in the form of mental health problems (e.g., depression, anxiety, OCD) or a lack of "theory of mind" (an ability to understand what other people are thinking). Women are trained from a very early age, and more so than men, to respond appropriately to social situations and to copy the other women around them, and that may lead to a late diagnosis of ASD. If you feel that difficulty with social situations isn't something that's concerning for you, then there would probably be no need to look into it further, but if that's bothering you then maybe the female expression of ASD is something to read up on.

In my case, I have most of the typical mental health co-morbids (depression, anxiety, OCD, panic attacks) and the physical health co-morbids (clumsiness, allergies, asthma, stomach issues), and the ASD diagnosis neatly explains all of them and gives me a better picture of how to deal with them. When my counselor suggested it as a possibility, I initially didn't think I had a problem with theory of mind because in the most obvious cases I can guess what someone's thinking, and because I can read happy, sad, angry, and yawns as extremely tired or extremely bored. I've recently realized though that in the more complex cases, I'm lost, and I'm also lost when it comes to trying to figure out how to hold a conversation about anything other than one of my primary interests. I've mostly learned work-arounds for these by asking scripted questions, but it's something that I really have to work at, and it helps me to have a clear reason why. I also have extreme sensory issues that quickly lead to overload in intense situations (including sexual ones), which may contribute to my sex aversion and potential aromanticism. Also, I've recently discovered that I'm nonbinary, which is much more common among people with ASD. So basically, for me, the diagnosis has helped me to better understand the connections between all of my symptoms, and it has led me to be more mindful of my sensory status throughout the day and therefore more considerate of my needs, which I used to ignore and try to power through. By being more consciously aware of my symptoms, I'm finding that daily life isn't as draining as it was before.

Did some research about schizoid and aspergers... I am almost identical to you. Apergers is hard to see on an adult and research focus a lot more on studying children so it could be hard to see. I think I am going to change my nick name to schizoidcat!

AssassinBabs

I wouldn't think highly on her evaluation of you.. I've been in the cycle of psychiarty to long to know that they just think something different then you were saying... heck the first therapist who did some tests said that my diagnosis was afoident and some treads of borderline. He didn't listen verry wel, and made his own story. I tolled him that switched between regilon's from christian to wicca and back to christian. (Typical BPD behaviour switching between those things, finding who you are and what suits you) But after I read the evaluation I was flabbergasted. The guy wrote down I was in Mekka. Like okay I was ashamed of my wicca past, but still! Now I can laugh about it and say; well peeps if I must believe my therapist then I've been to Mekka, but sadly I can't remember that I have been there! But that was one off the so many mistakes he made and get me misdiagnosed. Most off the afoidenttreats came from my insecurtity, wich has been lifted when I started living on my own. 

So just take with a little bit of salt, or a bunch of it! They write down what they believe, it is no hard science. It changes by the perspective of others. I you cant relay to beeing an asperger, you are probably not! Except if you in dennail, if you think its true but dont want it to be true, than she might have a piont. 

ChickenPadSeeEew

Nah, not every psychologist thinks that. It's definitely changing, awareness is growing. There are even lgtbiqpa+ therapists/psychologists/psychiatrists out there. 

But, unfortunately, Aromanticism still isn't widely known, and MH professionals are trained to think in diagnostic terms. Early impressions can be wrong. Diagnosis is an ongoing process anyway. Often MH professionals rectify their thinking and change their mind. 

I hate to say it, but sometimes you have to educate health professionals, including mental health professionals, about Ace and Ari things.

Tell your therapist if you think they've got it wrong and why. I promise you, it often makes a difference. Their job is to listen. 

Charlie Weasley
On ‎02‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 9:00 PM, GloomyGhost said:

It went down like this:

Edit: This is a seriously old thread that I made the very day I got back from there because I was feeling really weird and confused about the interraction. I thought it would die after a few days, but somehow it got rehashed . You don't need to reply anymore.

I had a therapist for Three meetups that made me look schizoid (even though im really social and an ace of spades) by stressing a lot around the interview and stating leading questions

so I can relate to this

Charlie Weasley

I havent had the diagnosis permanently after that, though. as diagnosis are fleeting and "fresh Food"/changing in time

Archived