Psychologists interpreting aromanticism as features of Aspergers?

GloomyGhost

Hm, I have suspected for years that I am either Aspie or HFA, and it would explain a lot about my childhood. In fact I read about and began to realize that in my 50s, right around the same time I realized I'm Ace, or at least that there is a word for it, I knew I was not a sexual person all along. But I'm definitely a romantic ace, and I don't really get how she would arrive at that based on you (the original poster) being aromantic. I have read that asexuality is more prevalent among autistics, but not that aromanticism in particular is.

But as mangifera mentioned, autism can manifest differently between males and females. The therapist I went to (once only) didn't seem to even realize that. You can find some informal descriptions/differences online, but probably the best thing is to find a therapist that is very familiar with autism.

On 2/2/2017 at 2:08 PM, Homer said:

Therapy is much more textbook than it's personal. They've got different sets of "tools" to work with; basically they try to figure out which set of tools fits your situation best. Personal opinions simply don't matter as much as you seem to think, if at all.

True, but a therapist wouldn't necessarily have any textbook basis for asexuality, so what in that case would she fall back on?

• 2 months later...
Lex_Barringer

I have quite a bit to say about medical conditions, psychology, psychiatry and sociology; along with the associated diagnosis. At best, a psychologist is offering their professional opinion based on their very narrow knowledge of you and pigeon holing you to fit a pre-defined set of conditions that are of a certain diagnosis.

Any time a doctor says, they want you to continue because they think it's interesting. I hate to say this, they already believe they know what you are and anything they say after that is more than likely full of shit. Any psychologist or psychiatrist worth their weight in salt and / or gold will not lead you into a diagnosis.

Aspeger's Syndrome is very specific and has many biochemical markers, as it's not purely a psychological condition, it falls under psychiatry. What is the difference between psychology and psychiatry? The best definition for an outsider to the trade is that; psychology is only of the mind, whereas psychiatry is of the mind and brain (biochemical and neurological). It's dangerous for a psychologist to come up with that diagnosis simply because they can't diagnose medical related problems, whereas psychiatrists can, since they're also medical doctors.

Asperger's syndrome has more to do with neurology than the mind (cognitive reasoning). It's because there are different biochemical reactions occurring in the brain of a Asperger's sydrome patient versus a normal person. This does ultimately affect the cognitive functioning of a patient but psychology alone can't help that patient, only band-aid them. Psychologists and sociologist can't prescribe medication or nature cures, whereas a psychiatrist or a medical doctor with a background in neurology and biochemistry can do so.

Now, addressing the Cluster A personality disorder diagnosis; also know as the odd behavior personality type. People that are of the Cluster A; the schizo spectrum also have genetic and biochemical markers, which again, lands in medicine and psychiatry, not psychology nor sociology.

Now, if you were diagnosed with say, Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), which is a Cluster B peronality disorder. The psychologist would be well within their rights to diagnose and treat such a disorder, because it's an ailment of the mind. However, there are two Cluster B personality disorders that require a psychiatrist to properly diagnose and treat them. Anti-Social Personality Disorder (ASPD) and Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). It is unfortunate that many psychologist don't have the correct training to deal with either one of those types of people; as they should leave it to psychiatrists.

I speak from being an aromantic myself but also from psychology, psychiatry, sociology and western internal medicine. Professionals in these trades are horrendously afraid of being ridiculed, if they don't follow what is generally accepted in their modalities and it's really unfortunate. There are a couple of psychologists and psychiatrists that are quite well known, seeking to break the glass ceiling on this. Instead of trying to fit someone into a current psychological / psychiatric diagnosis, they're listening with an open mind, to learn more about us.

Just to let you know, when you're diagnosed a certain way; asperger's syndrome, schizophrenia, schizoid, schizo affective disorder and a crap load more; are all the rage these days. The reason for these diagnoses aren't at all obvious to most people. it's a way for the professionals to gain noteriety,  help increase the money coming in and / or have lavish funding for their pet projects they've wanted to start. Very few doctors in the west are actually interested in identifying what you truly are, make changes / add to the ICD and DSM. Also, through referrals from a psychologist to a psychiatrist,

there are kicks backs for the shrinks, if there's a medication that is prescribed to that patient. It's all about making money off the patient for the doctors, clinics / hospitals they work for and the drug companies. That's why they lead you in a specific direction. If the current problem you have isn't on the list and no drug for it, they lead you into the direction where they can make money off of you.

Look at what happened to people in the 1970s in the asylums in the U.S.A. and the U.K. that weren't straight. They were considered insane, what happened to those people was really sick, the doctors, nurses and orderlies were themselves insane, not the patients.

I would take what your shrinks are saying about you with a big bag of salt; not a grain. A good shrink will never push you down a line of thought or lead you with questioning. That is not psychoanalysis; as that is an interrogation technique, it serves no purpose other than trying to push a current narrative and subsequent diagnosis along the same line the shrink is leading you with. If a psychoanalyst or psychiatrist does this; they should lose their licenses and be admitted to the mental wing as a patient in a prison for the rest of their life. It's technically criminal for a doctor to push a diagnosis on a patient, as it's called malpractice. Yes, even psychologists can get nailed with this.

Archived