New subforum

From member discussions in this thread, the admod team has discussed and voted on creating a new forum specifically for chat threads. This new forum will be called "The Chatterbox", and will be a sub-forum of Just For Fun. Chat threads such as CAPSLOCK CLUB,  The (To Be) Longest Thread, and The random chat thread will be moved to this new forum. Any non-chat threads will stay in Just For Fun. Please feel free to pm any admod with questions.

Kisa the Krampus, Administrator

what is a sub forum?

is it like the different country threads in the meetup forum?

why don't they work?

1 minute ago, Muledeer said:

what is a sub forum?

is it like the different country threads in the meetup forum?

why don't they work?

Yes like the different country sub-forums, those are exceptions though because of people deliberately seek them out. 

Most people who are just idly browsing won't bother with the second click to get to a sub-forum, so they tend to be dead. 

5 minutes ago, skit` said:

Yes like the different country sub-forums, those are exceptions though because of people deliberately seek them out. 

Most people who are just idly browsing won't bother with the second click to get to a sub-forum, so they tend to be dead. 

My normal browsing habits do not compute sub-forums.... 

Spoiler

giphy.gif

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

A sub forum won't be so bad & it won't /isn't a death setence. I don't get what's here to complain about :huh:

The Random Chat is still located in JFF... ?

It looks like threads are just beginning to be moved. So it might take some time to get them sorted and in the right places. : ) 

We decided on a sub-forum (though it was a close decision), and we can always change it to a stand-alone forum after a trial period (6 months? I'm not sure how long that is) if it doesn't work out. 

How many threads will ultimately end up there? It seems a little redundant to make a subforum for very specific thread types.

3 hours ago, SimplyAce said:

A sub forum won't be so bad & it won't /isn't a death setence. I don't get what's here to complain about :huh:

History disagrees. Arcade used to be a sub-forum and it was a thread graveyard until it was made standalone forum.

2 hours ago, kelico said:

We decided on a sub-forum (though it was a close decision)

Why weren't members allowed a vote on it? 

57 minutes ago, skit` said:

Why weren't members allowed a vote on it? 

Census time!^_^

Guest And Peggy
2 hours ago, Togee said:

Census time!^_^

There's only 7 votes in... i don't think the admods should make a decision based on 7 votes.

Edit: oh, I misunderstood. Will this poll have an impact on the decision?

5 minutes ago, CakeSpadeAce said:

There's only 7 votes in... i don't think the admods should make a decision based on 7 votes.

Edit: oh, I misunderstood. Will this poll have an impact on the decision?

Nah, it can be directional, if mods want it to be. I just made it, so we could see what the general opinion here if enough people vote.

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
5 hours ago, skit` said:

History disagrees. Arcade used to be a sub-forum and it was a thread graveyard until it was made standalone forum.

There are members here who are constantly active in those threads. In this case, don't let history repeat itself by being active on them. Really the subforum is the first thing you see under JFF. One extra click will stop you from participating on a thread? 

*shrug* Agreeing to disagree that a subforum is a problem/big deal.

6 hours ago, skit` said:

Well, you think

Making a new sub forum - or even a new forum altogether - for seven threads is totally unnecessary. 

It's not like there were dozens of these threads, stopping anything else in JFF from seeing the light of day. There were only seven. It's not even as though there's suddenly been a massive increase in them. 

Yeah, it's only one more click...but why fix something that wasn't broken?

15 minutes ago, Kyon. said:

Making a new sub forum - or even a new forum altogether - for seven threads is totally unnecessary. 

It's not like there were dozens of these threads, stopping anything else in JFF from seeing the light of day. There were only seven. It's not even as though there's suddenly been a massive increase in them. 

Yeah, it's only one more click...but why fix something that wasn't broken?

There will be more, we haven't finished moving them over yet

I do agree that sub-forums are (unfortunately) not too effective. I honestly wish they were because AVEN continues to expands and I'm kind of tired of all the scrolling. :lol: But yeah... same goes with the approved research requests having a sub-forum, the recognition from this site itself has gone lower than what it was in Announcements. I understand the concerns, it has happened several times. I really do wish sub-forums worked the way they should. Personally, I seem to do fine , I think. It's not like it's set in stone, things can always change and improve if it's looked back on again.

okay-but-martin-freeman

things seem to be heating between the sub forum and anti-sub forum fandoms. more at 6

6 minutes ago, skit` said:

speaking of that, whats your definition of a chat thread?

I was going with anything that has a tendency to generate conversations, rather than having each post keeping mainly to its own subject. 

scarletlatitude

Just want to say, we got the idea from this thread, if anyone is wondering. The admods were acting on member suggestions. 

Archived