Disturbing sexual stories we've read in class. (Trigger Warning)

Aromantic Asexual

Just now, NerotheReaper said:

This kind of reading is completely unacceptable if you are K-12, if you are in college that is kind of different. I do recommend telling someone higher up at the school about this disturbing content.

I ask everyone to please remain respectful due to possible victims being present

All the shocking books I have read were given to me past my 15s.

I don't know about you, @NerotheReaper, but I generally think books of those topics are usually kinda unacceptable in any environment. Even in college. Objectionable degree doesn't really change by environment alone. Oedipus Rex didn't shock me when I read it, but back then I know it's fucked up.

NerotheReaper
3 minutes ago, Reptillian said:

I don't know about you, @NerotheReaper, but I generally think books of those topics are usually kinda unacceptable in any environment. Even in college. Objectionable degree doesn't really change by environment alone. Oedipus Rex didn't shock me when I read it, but back then I know it's fucked up.

I'm an English major, so some books I have read and will read do have suggestive content. But when we come across a sketchy story kind of, my teacher has always warned us but usually they avoid those kind of books even at a college level. 

Just now, NerotheReaper said:

I'm an English major, so some books I have read and will read do have suggestive content. But when we come across a sketchy story kind of, my teacher has always warned us but usually they avoid those kind of books even at a college level. 

Not rly, the educational system of my country hope for us to read the "classics" of our literature. However most of these "classics" have shitty scenes.

I have read a lot of disgusting books when I was in high school for Literature classes. My teachers always warned us briefly about what we would find though.

NerotheReaper
3 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Not rly, the educational system of my country hope for us to read the "classics" of our literature. However most of these "classics" have shitty scenes.

I have read a lot of disgusting books when I was in high school for Literature classes. My teachers always warned us briefly about what we would find though.

Yes for the most part it is the classics, but my main point even in college they are hesitate about teaching intense content that the OP mentioned. And that is at an adult level pretty much, they could but they really shouldn't. They can, but usually the professors don't want to teach and have class discussion on sensitive material matter. I was saying that under saying under college age it does nothing good. Even in college no one wants to talk about that stuff, so having high schoolers talk about such mature content is a huge risk. (no idea what age the OP is, but that is just an example) 

RoseGoesToYale

Yikes! My high school certainly had classics with suggestive themes, but everything was pretty heavily censored by the teachers. One teacher got reprimanded for trying to teach Frankenstein (although that was my school's other half, so the situation may have been different). Anything explicit like that should definitely be reported.

43 minutes ago, NerotheReaper said:

Yes for the most part it is the classics, but my main point even in college they are hesitate about teaching intense content that the OP mentioned. And that is at an adult level pretty much, they could but they really shouldn't. They can, but usually the professors don't want to teach and have class discussion on sensitive material matter. I was saying that under saying under college age it does nothing good. Even in college no one wants to talk about that stuff, so having high schoolers talk about such mature content is a huge risk. (no idea what age the OP is, but that is just an example) 

If it does nothing good on high schoolers, then it really doesn't do anything good later on and especially when we are talking about age 16 and over (Let's be honest here,  a lot of adults have a lot of similiarity to what they were at age 16. I note negliable differences in what I was besides being more fatigued. Age 18 isn't really anything of significant to me and never was.)

NerotheReaper

I added a Trigger Warning (TW), and it is expected to stay here. 

NerotheReaper, Moderator for Celebration Time and Romantic and Aromantic Orientations 

Honestly, I've never really had a poor reaction to explicit books in an educational setting. There's some pretty bad stuff in classic literature, but I'm so jaded that it doesn't really phase me all that much. Even in fiction, some humans are just scum and filth, and they'll do f***ed up stuff. I don't think the stuff they taught ME needs to be censored or banned in high school, cause students are pretty grown up by then. But, some examples in this topic are kinda crazy. I'm not really shocked by weird content anymore, but a book about pedophilia is still gross. The parental incest lost it's shock value after Oedipus Rex cause it's the pregenitor of that. To be fair, Oedipus was pretty horrified too when he found out (dude ripped his eyes out) so it made sense as a plot point.

5 hours ago, NerotheReaper said:

This kind of reading is completely unacceptable if you are K-12, if you are in college that is kind of different. I do recommend telling someone higher up at the school about this disturbing content.

I ask everyone to please remain respectful due to possible victims being present

Thank you. 💗

nerdperson777
15 hours ago, Laplace said:

Honestly, I've never really had a poor reaction to explicit books in an educational setting. There's some pretty bad stuff in classic literature, but I'm so jaded that it doesn't really phase me all that much. Even in fiction, some humans are just scum and filth, and they'll do f***ed up stuff. I don't think the stuff they taught ME needs to be censored or banned in high school, cause students are pretty grown up by then. But, some examples in this topic are kinda crazy. I'm not really shocked by weird content anymore, but a book about pedophilia is still gross. The parental incest lost it's shock value after Oedipus Rex cause it's the pregenitor of that. To be fair, Oedipus was pretty horrified too when he found out (dude ripped his eyes out) so it made sense as a plot point.

I think in part, it shouldn't be gone in much detail because at that age and even older, people may not understand the possible triggers and seriousness.  I read Oedipus during my senior year of high school.  People, mostly guys, made jokes in class about getting together with other people's moms.  But in Oedipus' defense, he didn't really know that the queen was his mother.  The term "Oedipus complex" is actually misleading.  It's not really easy to decide when people are "mature enough" to handle these stories with seriousness.  I admit myself, I read Aristophanes' Lysistrata in college freshman year and I couldn't stop laughing at how outrageous the story was.  Who writes a story about how women won't sleep with their husbands until they stop fighting?  How does a war stop just because the wives said so?

Can I ask a question? One that I really have no idea why those commenting on the books are not telling us.

What are the titles of these books?

Why are they being described in such detail? almost book review, but no titles?

Please can you tell us the titles of these books so that we can reach an opinion? I mean some shakespeare is risquet... 

Call me cynical, but I wouldn't start talking about the books I read at school without telling everyone the title, and I am sure if I could describe such "shocking" plots in such detail, I would remember the titles.

What countries are you in, and how old were you when you were "made" to read them?

I mean most US schools have issues just giving basic sex ed... Making school aged children read graphic sexul stuff? How that would happen in a public school is really hard to believe.. 

1 hour ago, Lord Grep said:

Can I ask a question? One that I really have no idea why those commenting on the books are not telling us.

What are the titles of these books?

Why are they being described in such detail? almost book review, but no titles?

Please can you tell us the titles of these books so that we can reach an opinion? I mean some shakespeare is risquet... 

Call me cynical, but I wouldn't start talking about the books I read at school without telling everyone the title, and I am sure if I could describe such "shocking" plots in such detail, I would remember the titles.

What countries are you in, and how old were you when you were "made" to read them?

I mean most US schools have issues just giving basic sex ed... Making school aged children read graphic sexul stuff? How that would happen in a public school is really hard to believe.. 

I this this one was directed towards me?

Well here we go, all the books are in portuguese and I had to read them when I was around in high school (age 14 - 17). I'm sorry if the plots are not 100% accurate, it's been a long while since I read these books, and also, the movie versions of some of those are very different.

First book: "O Cortiço"

Second book: "Capitães da Areia"

Third book: " O Primo Basílio"

Fourth book: "O Crime do Padre Amaro"

Fifth book: "Dom Casmurro"

I'll add another one (TW : cheating and murder)

Sixth book: dude is an stereotypically masculine gay and loves an estereotypically feminine gay dude. Both struggle with society and hide their feelings. Dude leave his lover for a while, lover cheats dude with a girl. Girl and dude fight for his attention. Conclusion: in the end dude kills his beloved man out of anger. (I sadly can't remember the name for that one right now)

16 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

I this this one was directed towards me?

No not directly aimed at you.. More at the author of the post... 

But admittedly your descriptions where difficult to believe too... 

Being non english titles seems a perfectly plausible reason for omitting the titles.. 

My apologies.....

I can understand european works being more "sexual". Most of the parts of continental europe I have experienced are way more open about sex in everything than the USA or the UK... Admittedly my experience is of the old soviet block countries and a more limited knowledge of french society. 

I know italian TV is just full of sex and nudity... 

MY experience of the slavic nations is that sex and nudity just isn't even close to the taboo it is in the UK...

So yeah... I would say very plausible...

Again AVEN #1 fan, my apologies for my doubt.. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Grep said:

No not directly aimed at you.. More at the author of the post... 

But admittedly your descriptions where difficult to believe too... 

Being non english titles seems a perfectly plausible reason for omitting the titles.. 

My apologies.....

I can understand european works being more "sexual". Most of the parts of continental europe I have experienced are way more open about sex in everything than the USA or the UK... Admittedly my experience is of the old soviet block countries and a more limited knowledge of french society. 

I know italian TV is just full of sex and nudity... 

MY experience of the slavic nations is that sex and nudity just isn't even close to the taboo it is in the UK...

So yeah... I would say very plausible...

Again AVEN #1 fan, my apologies for my doubt.. 

Yeah,  I actually don't mind anyway. I'm sure these titles have English translated versions, you just have to check, they're "classics."

European and South American Literature really do have shocking scenes.

Anyone here already read the ORIGINAL French Sleeping Beauty? If you wanna know, just quote me for it.

Wow it sounds like I missed out, Geez Lennie getting a bullet in the back of the head just doesn't compare to some of these books.

I know...

I had to read books that were about this crime master Mr W T Pooh, and Mr C Robin. .. Man dark stuff... like a norwegian crime novel. 

The Mr Robin guy, he was always wearing jumpers, really troubled past. Too much alcohol abuse. the books don't really cover the back story.

Mr Pooh goes on to become good at martial arts.Kung fu in particular... and adopt confucianism at Taoist beliefs. 

he goes on to learn pig style, tigger style, and owl style and is put through tests with stick fighting under a bridge.

the books were more thoughtful and peaceful than the manga-esque films I have seen.

nerdperson777
23 hours ago, Lord Grep said:

Mr Pooh goes on to become good at martial arts.Kung fu in particular... and adopt confucianism at Taoist beliefs. 

he goes on to learn pig style, tigger style, and owl style and is put through tests with stick fighting under a bridge.

As a martial artist, I facepalm at the pig and owl style. At least tiger exists. 

• 7 months later...

1. In a story that my teacher read (and told me about, for some reason), there was this guy and his wife. The wife couldn't have kids, so the dude raped(?) a 14 year old girl to get her pregnant with his child. (By the way, this book is also on the 8th grade reading list in at least two counties near me)

2. In a story that my friend read: a little girl (maybe 8 y/o) wanted to be a soldier. Her cousin was a soldier and was just like "well, girls can't be soldiers, but I can give you a check-up to see if you're healthy enough. Let me just take your internal temperature..." He used his dick instead of a thermometer -_-. She became pregnant blah blah blah

3. Not sex-related but still disturbing: these soldiers in WWII were in a tent when one of them went outside to smoke or something. The rest of them heard him laughing, and then they went to sleep. When they woke up in the morning, they discovered that the guy hadn't been laughing. He had been shot in the lungs so much that his screams sounded like laughter. 

I have spent many years honing the art of a mental Sexual Scene Detector:

*reads novel/watches film*

Right, they're alone together, not great

NO A COMPLIMENT RAISE THE THREAT LEVEL TO 7

There hasn't been a sex scene all episode/chapter...

Was that...an innuendo?!?!

*skips ahead five minutes*

nerdperson777
2 hours ago, Just Me, Myself and...Zie? said:

I have spent many years honing the art of a mental Sexual Scene Detector:

*reads novel/watches film*

Right, they're alone together, not great

NO A COMPLIMENT RAISE THE THREAT LEVEL TO 7

There hasn't been a sex scene all episode/chapter...

Was that...an innuendo?!?!

*skips ahead five minutes*

But.... what if it's a trap?? What if skipping five minutes gets us right in the middle of it? 

Wow. Okay then. I read Shakespeare in highschool, but some of your reading materials were quite...shock material? That's pretty over the top.

13 hours ago, Feys&Florets said:

I read Shakespeare in highschool

But not "Titus Andronicus", right? I'm still wondering if Quentin Tarantino is ever going to make a film based on that story.

Op's book reminds me of Serbian Film. I'm actually curious about the title of the book OP mentions.

I had to read books by caribbean authors in school and this region is conservative so if OP's book was given here it would kick up a fuss. I had to read a book called The Hummingbird Tree and there was a scene with two kids bathing naked, the girl grows up to be a sex worker and parents' at my school were angry. So I find it strange that they'd give you that to read at an academic institute.

8 hours ago, roland.o said:

But not "Titus Andronicus", right? I'm still wondering if Quentin Tarantino is ever going to make a film based on that story.

I don't recognize the name, so definitely not. We read Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, and one more I can't remember. 

everywhere and nowhere
On 3.02.2017 at 0:08 AM, nerdperson777 said:

I read Aristophanes' Lysistrata in college freshman year and I couldn't stop laughing at how outrageous the story was.  Who writes a story about how women won't sleep with their husbands until they stop fighting?  How does a war stop just because the wives said so?

And I greatly support the idea of a sexual strike. Even though I wouldn't participate, because I don't have sex anyway, so there would be no difference.

The most 'sexual' book I read in grade school was this book I found at the school's library. It was about a dystopian society where humans were divided either inside or outside this city. Outside was covered in ruins and wilderness, and the story focused on this woman who made income for her family by trading goods down the river. Inside the city was a rigid caste system where the upper class enjoyed life and sex with anyone and each other, and the lower caste were subjected to experiments to keep humanity going. The two castes could get together for sex, but any kind of meaningful relationship between separate caste members was frowned upon. One guy from the upper caste system wanted to see the outside world.

So city guy managed to find a way to sneak out of the city, met the merchant woman who lived outside and was stealing supplies from city warehouse, and they start this complicated relationship that's basically forbidden by their respective societies. Oh, and they BOTH could turn into animals. The book ended with them being thrilled they could 'mate'. 

All the while reading this book, I was actually too young to understand over half of it, and the naunces of 'they laid together in the grass, limbs entwined and absolutely bliss' were lost to me. Oh, how naive I was...

13 hours ago, Feys&Florets said:

I don't recognize the name, so definitely not.

"Titus Andronicus" is quite simply: splatter. Outrageous violence and abuse, just for the sake of being outrageous. When I read that, it suddenly dawned on me that William Shakespeare didn't write that piece to leave a trace in world literature. He had a bloody theatre to fill, and he wrote stuff that people actually wanted to see. And back then, as well as nowadays, horror and splatter draws a crowd. As does romance. It's because of this realization that Titus Andronicus is my favorite Shakespeare piece. Still, I wouldn't recommend it for all audiences :-)

6 hours ago, roland.o said:

"Titus Andronicus" is quite simply: splatter. Outrageous violence and abuse, just for the sake of being outrageous. When I read that, it suddenly dawned on me that William Shakespeare didn't write that piece to leave a trace in world literature. He had a bloody theatre to fill, and he wrote stuff that people actually wanted to see. And back then, as well as nowadays, horror and splatter draws a crowd. As does romance. It's because of this realization that Titus Andronicus is my favorite Shakespeare piece. Still, I wouldn't recommend it for all audiences :-)

Oh! I heard about that one. Haven't read it, but I've heard of it.

There's also an argument that it's not one of Shakespeare's works because the style is so out of touch with his other works. Or it was co-written, or it was his first piece when he was still very new to play writing.

A portion of his works was probably edited or changed from the original. Macbeth has this scene with the three witches casting spells into a cauldron, and it doesn't show up in the original copies.

Archived