Parents wanting gradchildren

The Awkward Mystery

My parents don't care if they have grandchildren or not, which is good because personally I don't want children.

Trust me, if I do have a kid (which is unlikely, as I'm not the best with children), I'll adopt. There is no way in hell I'm going through sex, pregnancy, and childbirth. 

14 hours ago, Hey you in the corner said:

It's really interesting how if a guy says he doesn't want children it's an okay concept. If its a girl it's "OH MY GOSH! HOW CAN YOU NOT WANT KIDS! YOU"LL CHANGE YOUR MIND SOMEDAY!" in response. 

Damn social double standards.

True, but yoU HAVE A UTERUS YOU MUST USE IT

Hermit Advocate
5 hours ago, Rhyme said:

True, but yoU HAVE A UTERUS YOU MUST USE IT

Oh of course, silly me. My body belongs to everyone else and I have no say in how I do or don't use it. 

WobblyWallaby

My mom doesn't really care. She says things like "you'll be a good mom." but she also says things like " I'm glad you don't want kids right now." My Dad has a tendency to be uncomfortable with my asexuality and after a heated argument over how he had my brother when he was my age the topic doesn't come up that often. When it does I point out that my brother is almost 40 and is still dating like he's 16. If my dad really needs grandchildren he needs to bug the middle aged teenager. The only other person I get lip from is my grandfather who worries that I'm wasting my best years while not looking for a mate. Luckily my aunt is lesbian and had her son with a sperm donor so when this come into play i always flaunt her success without anyone to impregnate her or help her raise her kid.

SorryNotSorry
On February 10, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Hey you in the corner said:

It's really interesting how if a guy says he doesn't want children it's an okay concept. If its a girl it's "OH MY GOSH! HOW CAN YOU NOT WANT KIDS! YOU"LL CHANGE YOUR MIND SOMEDAY!" in response. 

Damn social double standards.

Au contraire, mon soeur.

My late mother thought I was her prize stallion and used to make a pitiful face in fruitless attempts to melt my heart (now I know it didn't work on me because I have Asperger's). I finaly put a stop to that when one day she whined "when am I ever going to have some grandkids?"

My answer: when you fly to some Third World country and buy 'em on the black market. Ha ha, the look on her face went from pitiful to sullen and she mumbled some racist stuff about non-white kids... but she never bugged me about it again after that. 

As it turned out, however, she DID get to take care of a "kid" for the last 8 years of her life, in the form of her mother, who was 80 going on 2. I think karma came back a little too hard that time, though.

Besides, I just totally don't get why someone would do their damndest to make their own kid miserable, yet spoil their grandkids rotten? In that context, me wanting to let my kids play with dangerous toys and terrorize the neighborhood would just be cutting out the middleman.

Additionally, if I did find the woman of my dreams (and that's a very big IF), the last thing I'd want to do is impregnate her.

You know what's annoying? My wealthy grandmother fawning and doting on my cousin who has 2 kids.

He's the only one out of us 4 grandkids to reproduce. We call it "last hope."

My GF's mom kinda wants grandkids but my parents don't see to care either way.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents really want grandchildren, my mom especially.  I think this is partly because my parents did IVF for many years before having my sister and I.  I know my mom wanted more kids, but they didn't want to do more IVF, so now she pressures other people to have kids and gets wistful when she sees families with lots of kids.  But when I asked her why they didn't adopt more after my sister was born, I didn't get a straight answer.  

I REALLY don't want kids because the thought of pregnancy makes me uncomfortable, and because raising a child does not seem appealing to me.  She knows that my sister and I don't want kids but she still drops hints about grandchildren.  Luckily this has slowed down temporarily because my aunt and uncle are expecting, but it's still really annoying and I know that she'll start up again after the baby's born.  

There's no way to stop people from wanting grandchildren.  The only thing you can do is just try to avoid the discussion -- change the subject, leave the room, whatever.  

1 hour ago, Kelenag said:

I REALLY don't want kids because the thought of pregnancy makes me uncomfortable

I am glad I wasn't born a woman because then I don't have to think about getting pregnant. If someone wants to know how I feel about pregnancy, you don't have to look past Alien:

68JyDIL.jpg

Just now, Fox6 said:

I am glad I wasn't born a woman because then I don't have to think about me getting pregnant. If someone wants to know how I feel about pregnancy, you don't have to look past Alien:

68JyDIL.jpg

Now there's an extreme opinion. That's the second Alien reference I've seen since I signed up in January.

Just now, Fox6 said:

Alien is just an analogy for Human reproduction.

Well I have heard people refer to their own kids or those of others as "The Spawn From Hell".

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery

My mum wants grandchildren and talks about it sometimes. Luckily whenever I tell her I don't want to have children she stops talking about it and asks my brothers instead.

If I wasn't so good with children, I probably wouldn't get so many people asking me about kids.  I don't like children because they are selfish; but I will protect a child because innocence is sacred & generations need as much guidance as possible.  I may be a tough love kind of person; but I can't see myself adding to procreation for a plethora of reasons.  Yet, my mother is always saying something about grand children once a month; which makes me think of kids.  It's mostly because babies gravitate to me because I'm tall & they get to see the world when I pick them up.  It could be because of my energy because kids who don't know me, tend to gravitate towards me too.  I guess it's the imagination in me, my main nephew I see is always up in my business because I draw & create.  He wanted me to make him into a character; my subconscious took that on & now I have an extra story titled "Universes" where him & six other kids are chosen to live through out other universes for a solid thirty years, then are taken to a fountain of youth to return back to their eight year old selves; to return home & be heroes in their original universe.  I haven't told him that idea yet; but I'll probably tell him tonight when he gets here.  His code name will be "Crash" but I doubt he has a firm grip on exactly how ridiculous my imagination is because if he knew about the shit I had in my head; he wouldn't only be aspiring to be like me, try to go to rugby practice with me, try to ride around in the car with me, jam to music with me & play video games with me; he'd probably want to be more like me than he already wants.  :| I get no alone time when he's around & I can't have children messing with that.  Responsibilities are dangerous & not smelling another human is sacred to me.

With a sense of family, I believe that preceding generations like for their blood line to continue; they look forward to the family dynamic of raising children & seeing their family grow & expand.  I can't speak on them what so ever, but I think about why they want that & question them whenever I can.  They are obviously people people when I'm not a people person.  From their first walk, parental pride, little league games & them making fridge art; I can see why the adorable factor is needed.  I can understand the whole procreation, live & prosper aspect of life, but at the same time; I don't.

My conversation with my mum just went:

"Mum, I just want to let you know that I will never have children or get married"

"Oh I gave up on that idea long time ago"

I'm really lucky to have such understanding parents but if my parents insisted I have children I would prefer to have a proper discussion about it. I would want to understand why my parents have such a strong view and give them proper picture of how I feel and see the situation.

In my opinion,  it serves nobody to be closed minded and say "this is my opinnion,  i will never change my mind so lets not discuss this ever again". You cannot expect anyone to understand your viewpoint and feelings if you are not ready 1) express them clearly and 2)give the other person the chance to express theirs. Children and grandchildren are often topics that people have strong feelings about so it might help you understand your parents better if you try to understand their feelings on the topic.   

Archived