Alex_

Personally, even though I am not demi, on this site I'd say I'm demi-homosexual.  In real life I'd just stick with homosexual, only clarifying to a partner or possibly close friends.  To me the demi isn't essential information for people who are curious unless in an asexual environment.

Salted Karamel

I think you can phrase it however you'd like rather than adhering to a grammatical standard. For a while I was identifying as hetero-demisexual, even though I saw somewhere that it was grammatically advised to state that as "demi-heterosexual," because I felt that my demisexuality was more core to my orientation than heterosexuality, and so the "hetero-" was modifying my demisexuality rather than the "demi-" modifying my heterosexuality.

Eventually, as you can see, I dropped the "hetero-" altogether, as I truly have no idea if I actually have a preference for men or have simply only formed the sufficient bond necessary for sexual attraction with men because I have only bothered to date men. I can't say the idea of having sex with a woman appeals to me, but I also can't say I'd ever have been able to stomach the idea of having sex with a man either if I hadn't spent years trying to get used to the idea. And what even is sexual attraction anyway. Answer: The longer it's been since you've experienced it anyway, the more and more imaginary, subjective, and irrelevant a concept it becomes.

At any rate, to people I don't feel like explaining my sexuality to, I'd probably just say nothing at all.

I call myself demisexual heteroromantic. 

nanogretchen4

I am bisexual and demisexual. In most cases I would just say I'm bisexual. If I were discussing my sexual orientation with someone who knew me well enough to be curious about why I never seem to be dating anyone or looking for anyone, then I would explain the demisexual part. I never describe myself or other humans as homosexual. I always say gay or lesbian. 

Silentlysolaced

OK so I'm trying to fully accept that I'm asexual/demisexual... i feel more comfortable saying asexual but I guess it feels wrong at the same time because I can identify as demi as well since I have been able to connect with one person in a romantic sexual way and its very intoxicating. I mean I've been sexual with more people but it's completely different.. very difficult to process but now that I'm having a better understanding of my true sexual "identity" I continue to have these ah-ha moments where I would previously try and justify my actions or feeling.

(ex: not wanting to be in a relationship like ever and most little girls fantize about getting married nope not me. Or the fact that I find romance to be boring and closeness makes my skin crawl. Or the fact that I feel so much happier and confident and strong  and intelligent and capable when I'm single and basically in solitude.)

Do you all have any advice for someone that is transitioning from asexual/demisexual? 

I hate hate being hit on with a passion and normally I just try and make it clear that im not interested and that they are great attractive and all that jazz but i just want to be alone... sounds depressing and at times I think people think it's a game like if they try hard enough I'll change my mind... should I just start saying I'm asexual/demisexual? Or is this possibly something that will be another game to some people. This is something that I'm just coming to terms with and feels kinda private.. Have any of you struggled with turning people down and no just not being enough. I hate that I have to basically turn into a bitch for people to get the picture... any advice is extremely welcomed!

Archived