Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

chair jockey

Elderly intruder popping in just to say one thing I also said in a status update.

The second you graduate from high school, everyone (including you) stops caring you ever attended high school. So don't feel that school problems are the end of the world. Just work hard to finish the damned thing.

• Like 9
PurplePaper
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:58 PM, yourcaptaiin said:

Which one? AP World?

I'm late but yep. I took it and failed epically XD

• Like 2
EnigmaticAnomaly

Hello. I'm a freshman, and I've been here since seventh grade! 

• Like 2
Internetlionboy

Hiya @EnigmaticAnomaly! ^^ Oh wow that's a long time : O I've only been here since April of this year because I don't know it was during when I actually started questioning my asexuality. I just thought I was weird or something because of how I was feeling but I just don't think I'm sexual enough to just be sexual if that makes any sense? It's like I feel sexual attraction but I don't care to act upon it. I do stuff to relieve myself but afterwards I'm just like eh okay I'm done and just focus on other stuff. I'm very much more of a romantic person and love to do anything romantic than I am the other way. So I think I'm gray ace because I think that fits me best but I might change if I find something that suits me better who knows I'm sticking with that label if that happens. 

Yea I agree with what @chair jockey said. I mean I'm still trying to finish high school but yea I think there are other problems that are much more serious than school. I understand that school is stressful because again I'm a high schooler but just know that you can do it! Don't give up and follow your dreams (that's kinda dumb motivation but I try my best) ^3^

• Like 1

I hate all exams....

GCSE's are soon us and frankly I am panicking a bit (along with being hyperactive and really tired)

Any hints....?

dragon_nerd

You're A levels will be more stressful. 

But actual advise-sleep, create a revision timetable, give yourself breaks and whatever happens, happens. Once you enter the exam hall there is nothing but you and your brain and you will be fine. I hate to sound like a broken record but your GCSE's aren't as important as they are made out to be.

• Like 1

@dragon_nerd 

Thanks that's very helpful.

Maybe it's just today- having a weird patch

To anyone stressed out by exams in particular GCSES don't worry. My uncle left school with no GCSES and now lives in a three story house and wants for nothing. My mam left school with two GCSES. She managed to get into Durham university and now earns over thirty grand a year. And as I speak to more and more people I've found that GCSES and exams aren't everything. You can still be successful even if you fail all of them.

• Like 1
TRexPhilbo
2 hours ago, Rowan220 said:

To anyone stressed out by exams in particular GCSES don't worry. My uncle left school with no GCSES and now lives in a three story house and wants for nothing. My mam left school with two GCSES. She managed to get into Durham university and now earns over thirty grand a year. And as I speak to more and more people I've found that GCSES and exams aren't everything. You can still be successful even if you fail all of them.

I would argue that there may have been other socioeconomic factors (such as GCSEs being worth more to employers than they are now, and a potentially more secure or otherwise more favourable job market) that influenced their success, but I see what you're getting at.

To all the people stressing over their GCSEs: Exams aren't the end of everything, particuarly not your GCSEs. It's OK if you don't get 5 C's (or 5s or whatever the equivalent is in the madness that is the new Department for Education system). FE colleges often get a bad rap for being "lesser" than sixth forms, but they're emphatically not: not everyone is academically focused, and basing people's "intelligence" on their ability to take tests is a ridiculous idea. 

Getting a D in your exams doesn't mean you've failed, just that you didn't do particularly well that time. Think of it as another opportunity.

To draw from my own experiences, when I left school I got a D in English, which is one of the more "important" subjects for you to get a C in. Because of that (and because I didn't tell mum about it until it was too late to resit them in summer), I had to resit my English at sixth form. As a result, I couldn't get into the classes I wanted and I ended up with classes that I wasn't particularly strong in, leading me to get a D in both of them at AS (though I passed my English GCSE).

Because of this, I dropped out of sixth form and enrolled at a college to do IT, thinking college was for morons, as that was what school taught me. And, surprisingly, I loved it. The less stressful environment meant that I learned a lot and left 2 years later with a BTEC in IT, giving me the equivalent of A* A* A at A-Level. This opened up the world of higher education to me. 

I got onto a computer science course at one of the best places for it. It was all going well until I realised I hated it. So I stopped going to classes and was eventually thrown out. I had to go on jobseekers' benefit until I found a job.

Eventually, I tried again with another university and course (this one in education). I'm due to graduate in July and I'm much happier for "failing". I've made some great friends, some of who have helped me to figure out my sexuality/gender, and I'm a much better person than I might have been had I stayed at the other university.

So sometimes getting knocked back is a good thing. Instead of thinking "I'm a failure", try reframing it as "I've been given another chance, now where to from here?".

Anyway: to those about to take their GCSEs/Nationals, A-Levels/Highers, and various other exams around the world, good luck.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness good luck on exams everyone! I left for a while and missed the good luck train o^o so GOOD LUCK!!!!

• Like 1
NerotheReaper

I hope you all do your best and remember don't be too hard on yourselves! Just take it one day at a time, and then you will graduate before you know it

• Like 1
Anna Sánchez

I'm new, my name's Anna as you can tell and yeah. Just introducing myself. Hello~

(I'm not very good at introductions, sorry :3)

• Like 3

Hey there @Anna Sánchez! Welcome to the Teen Corner!

5dcf6b369c271fc3d4ce06b1460f99e5.jpg

• Like 2
dragon_nerd

WELCOME!!! :D 

And here is a beautiful cupcake

screen568x568.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome!!!!!

:cake::cake::cake::cake:Cake!!!!!!!:cake::cake::cake::cake:

• Like 2

I'm would like to go to London pride.

Do any of you people have any experiences of any pride event. 

If so could you please tell me?

Thanks

P.s this post looks like a poem

@Tintinfan YES! I march in the NYC Pride parade every year, it's incredible! It's like a huge happy ecstatic celebration, and can be a bit overwhelming if you aren't prepared for it. I'd suggest come prepared to be blown away with color and music and people - it's awesome. Just look up pictures and videos of events on YouTube and you'll sort of get the idea, but it feels much bigger :) It's very positive overall, though, very little negativity and you should be welcomed with open arms! It's very neat and I hope you love London Pride!!!

• Like 2

Popping in to say hi! Just an acey teen in a who has decided to use my procrastination powers to join the forums ;D

• Like 3
dragon_nerd

Welcome to AVEN and Teen Corner! Have some cake :D 

4d139c5627a8de9f5f68d3ba92b1d211_enhance

tiredclassicist

Hi! Saw this was a thread for 'teens' and I was wondering if I could get your opinions on something. I'm in high school, so I obviously live at home with my parents. They are both very accepting of the LGBT community (my dad is mostly clueless but open minded). However, my mom can be a little judgmental (yet still accepting?? idk) about literally any other sexuality besides gay/lesbian. Especially if they're my age. Anyway, my friends and I are going to the pride parade and I wanted to get an ace pride shirt, but if I do I have to come out to her and she has already kind of bashed (young) asexuals and I'd rather not be ridiculed. Opinions? Thoughts? Thanks :)

• Like 2
dragon_nerd

I'd come out to your friends/dad before you approach your mum about it so that you have some positive coming outs before you do one that you are uncertain about.

• Like 3

It's a good rule to tell the one who is more accepting of these things... your dad in this case.

• Like 1

Hello everybody, I just found this thread. 

I am technically a teenager but you might not guess it if you meet me. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:37 AM, planetexpllorer said:

Hi! Saw this was a thread for 'teens' and I was wondering if I could get your opinions on something. I'm in high school, so I obviously live at home with my parents. They are both very accepting of the LGBT community (my dad is mostly clueless but open minded). However, my mom can be a little judgmental (yet still accepting?? idk) about literally any other sexuality besides gay/lesbian. Especially if they're my age. Anyway, my friends and I are going to the pride parade and I wanted to get an ace pride shirt, but if I do I have to come out to her and she has already kind of bashed (young) asexuals and I'd rather not be ridiculed. Opinions? Thoughts? Thanks :)

I have the same exact situation - when I came out to my mom, I had no idea she was like this but she's very iffy about me IDing as ace (though for comparisons sake she's also confused by pansexuality). While I don't have the benefit of doing it right the first time, my advice from experience would be refer her to parent-written sources on asexuality, or use an ace-positive parent to ease her in from an adults mouth, rather than a kid that she may not take as seriously (even if she's her own child). I think the only way to combat that is information, but if your mom has been negative about it before I'd be wary.

How exactly did she bash young aces? I have some arguments I've heard from my own mother that may help you if they're around the same ones. Unfortunately, especially with a family, the asexual jokes and 'ridicule' or at least sort of passive-aggressive comments may come more than outright confrontation if she feels like that about young asexual. Again, clarification would be appreciated if you're comfortable with it :)

• Like 2
tiredclassicist
1 hour ago, PixieCat said:

I have the same exact situation - when I came out to my mom, I had no idea she was like this but she's very iffy about me IDing as ace (though for comparisons sake she's also confused by pansexuality). While I don't have the benefit of doing it right the first time, my advice from experience would be refer her to parent-written sources on asexuality, or use an ace-positive parent to ease her in from an adults mouth, rather than a kid that she may not take as seriously (even if she's her own child). I think the only way to combat that is information, but if your mom has been negative about it before I'd be wary.

How exactly did she bash young aces? I have some arguments I've heard from my own mother that may help you if they're around the same ones. Unfortunately, especially with a family, the asexual jokes and 'ridicule' or at least sort of passive-aggressive comments may come more than outright confrontation if she feels like that about young asexual. Again, clarification would be appreciated if you're comfortable with it :)

Thank you! this is actually really helpful. i'll look around for some sources that will help her. my mom ridicules young aces in the sense that she thinks we're too young to decide this and that it's all in our heads. it's kind of insane. :) 

On 5/11/2017 at 0:10 AM, athenahono said:

This makes me feel more welcome with the idea of a thread for teens. Seeing older people on here and giving advice is great and helpful but talking to other teens who relate makes me feel better. 

Hello junior friends! Let's all suffer high school another year together lol

Thanks. After I rejoined AVEN earlier this year I noticed that a lot of other age groups had forums/threads but nothing for younger folks who were posting in the Welcome Forum. Glad to see the thread I started has been well received.

• Like 1

Hello, I am RosyDream and I am new here. I am here because I want to talk to other teenagers (and other asexuals in general) and they are hard to find in my country´s corresponding  asexual community.

I will start my 3rd year in high school this year. And I am excited to be here.

• Like 1

Welcome, @RosyDream! Glad to have you here :) feel free to join in the conversation and chat!

Wedding+Cakes+Purple+And+Black.jpg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, planetexpllorer said:

Thank you! this is actually really helpful. i'll look around for some sources that will help her. my mom ridicules young aces in the sense that she thinks we're too young to decide this and that it's all in our heads. it's kind of insane. :) 

Hm, yeah, I have a similar issue. Many adults may agree that while you can know who you want a relationship or sex with, you can't know if you don't just because of a) societal expectations to eventually have a family/settle down and b) the belief that kids don't know what they want or are just 'grossed out' by sex, not that they won't want it later - the "I was just like that until <insert point in life here>".