Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

14 hours ago, Alli said:

*autistic screeching is heard in the distance*

sorry I'm bored

*responds with ADHD screeching*

I feel ya

5 hours ago, StormySky said:

Hey guys, actual young person post that has to do with me being ace. 

So my grandmother expects me to be "womanly and ladylike." I respect that she wants me to have etiquette and manners, but she has hinted that she wants me to show some interest in "cute guys." Ugh.

Her side of the family is very centered on adventure and travel, as I want to be. I told her that I want to stay single and focus on doing things and going places. Why does she want ME to find love and grow up?

My grandma does this too. She probably has been conditioned (much like we all have) her whole life to believe that we need a partner to be happy and fulfilled, I don't know your situation but I'm guessing (just from experience with my grandma) that she just wants you to be as happy as you can be. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless she is really pressuring you (if she is then I would try being more assertive, saying something like, I'm not comfortable discussing this with you/I don't want a boyfriend/I don't want to talk about this, let's talk about something else). I would just keep telling her that it's not what you're interested in doing, you want to travel etc. Maybe if you feel comfortable enough, you could ask her why she wants you to find a boyfriend? Sometimes talking about it openly can be really great as well, explaining that it's not something you feel like you need or want (you do not have to come out to her though), I don't know your relationship with her so just do what makes you most comfortable. :cake::cake:

3 hours ago, Liz_Rd said:

*responds with ADHD screeching*

I feel ya

*complements with ADHD fidgeting*

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BionicPi said:

*complements with ADHD fidgeting*

*replies with depressed wailing*

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Alli said:

*replies with depressed wailing*

*choruses in with anxious squeaks*  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Imogengrey said:

*choruses in with anxious squeaks*  

*retorts with insane muttering*

8 hours ago, Jaysong said:

I guess you might have to just ignore it. It's not very satisfying, but it might be all you can do. Obviously I don't know everything about your situation, but that's what I have to do. I come from a religion where a giant emphasis is placed on getting married and having kids. Ignoring it works pretty well. Just don't ever say anything that makes it sound like you are planning to get married or whatever, they'll get the idea and stop asking you about it. 

Don't worry, I won't even speak of anything that sounds like "planning to get married." I don't even plan ;P

40 minutes ago, Alli said:

*retorts with insane muttering*

*answers with pained mewling* 

• Like 1

Going to girls camp and not looking forward to all the "who do you like" questions. I'll have a good time on the whole, but someone always brings this up late at night in the tents. Plus having answered with the 'pick a random name' method before doesn't make it likely someone will believe me when I say no one.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jaysong said:

Going to girls camp and not looking forward to all the "who do you like" questions. I'll have a good time on the whole, but someone always brings this up late at night in the tents. Plus having answered with the 'pick a random name' method before doesn't make it likely someone will believe me when I say no one.

"There's this really cool person I met on the internet, who's into reanimating taxidermy!"

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, BionicPi said:

"There's this really cool person I met on the internet, who's into reanimating taxidermy!"

XD I'm going to start using that.

• Like 3
Quality_Penguins
4 hours ago, Jaysong said:

I never get that question anymore because my friends are all guys, but I used to always say either a french fry or that I killed him. The latter always shut them up.

• Like 1

I have had that problem on NCS.

My friends knew I was ace before I knew, and they liked to joke about it because I never was really into guys (or girls, for that matter) XD

12 hours ago, Jaysong said:

I never really know how to answer that either, unless you are talking about celebrities, then you could just say Chris and whoever you are talking to will insert the name of one of like the 50 famous Chris and you can roll with that. 

"I am in a dedicated relationship with no" is also fun.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Jaysong said:

I'm familiar with those kinds of camps too. I didn't know I was ace and aro-spec at the time though, so I usually either named the boy I liked the most or I said I didn't have a crush. I was the kid who was hated by everyone else anyway though, so I was hardly ever asked.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Jaysong said:

I'd bring an orange crush soda and say that's my crush. And when they want me to say who it really is (other than the truth of nobody), I'd admit I was lying all along...I actually am dating *pulls out a bag of dates*

• Like 2
Demidemigod
17 hours ago, Jaysong said:

I generally just pick some random person and have that as my default answer for as long as it works. RANDOM NAMES FOREVER

• Like 1
The Terrible Travis
19 hours ago, Jaysong said:

"Bernie Sanders."

• Like 4
EllieCeeJay
On 24/07/2017 at 1:48 PM, Jaysong said:

Say one of their names and see how they react. Hopefully they'll be too flattered to think about asking you again.

• Like 2

Another option is the name of a terrifying fictional character.

• Like 3
Demidemigod
1 hour ago, QuirkyGeek said:

Another option is the name of a terrifying fictional character.

Jim from IT

Wow I never realized how many love songs there were even in my favored genres of music until I started identifying as ace. Now I'm thinking about it and there are a LOT of them. Even on this 80s station my dad was listening to yesterday.

Haha I guess the universe feels me, Sara Bareilles' King of Anything just came on.

• Like 2

Actually wow I'm just realized how well that song suits us aces.

I hate to break it to you babe, but I'm not drowning~. There's no one here to save~!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Dreammaker said:

Actually wow I'm just realized how well that song suits us aces.

I hate to break it to you babe, but I'm not drowning~. There's no one here to save~!

Dang, I've never paid that close of attention to the lyrics of that song, despite liking it a fair bit. Now I have to go look up the lyrics. xP

19 hours ago, Liz_Rd said:

Dang, I've never paid that close of attention to the lyrics of that song, despite liking it a fair bit. Now I have to go look up the lyrics. xP

Haha I learn the lyrics of all the songs I like.

I learnt song lyrics by accident. Well I say accident but I listen to them all the time.

21 minutes ago, Tintinfan said:

I learnt song lyrics by accident. Well I say accident but I listen to them all the time.

Yeah, I tend to listen repeatedly until I memorise.

• Like 1

They are just in the background playing then I realise I have memorie it.