Platonic Marriage (poll)

Moonstruck Dragon

Platonic Marriage (poll)  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want/consider a platonic/best friend marriage?

• Only if my very best friend wanted it
    • No
    • Sure!
    • What?
    • It depends
    • Yes, and any close friend would be an acceptable partner
    • Other? (Please explain in comments)
  2. 2. What is your sexual identification?

• Heterosexual
    • Homosexual
    • Asexual
    • Bisexual
    • Pansexual
    • Androsexual
    • Gynerosexual
    • Grey or Demisexual
    • What?
  3. 3. What is your romantic identification?

• Heteroromantic
    • Homoromantic
    • Aromantic
    • Biromantic
    • Panromantic
    • Androromantic
    • Gyneroromantic
    • Grey or Demiromantic
    • What?
  4. 4. Would you rather have a platonic or romantic marriage?

• Platonic
    • Romantic
    • Either
    • It depends
    • Neither
    • What?
  5. 5. This is my first poll. Did it suck?

• No
    • Kinda
    • Yes
    • Maybe
    • Do I have to answer???
  6. 6. Did I miss a Romantic and/or Sexual orientation?

• Yes, a romantic one
    • Yes, a sexual one
    • One of each
    • Not that I'm aware of
    • Multiple
    • Nope

This poll is closed to new votes

Moonstruck Dragon

I'm curious what the rest of the community thinks. 

I personally would prefer a platonic/best friend marriage over a romantic one. 

Marriage has never interested me in the slightest. I think I have a slight fear of commitment and so marriage would be too big of a commitment for me. :lol:

Honestly though, I'm greyro and asexual, so if I were to marry anyone it would have to be someone I love very much. Not just one of my best friends. 

I wouldn't want a platonic marriage per say, but I love my best friend so much, that I picked " Only if my very best friend wanted it:wacko: That said, I'm not sure how a platonic marriage really differs from a romantic one - it's marriage, which by definition is on the romantic side of things. I'm not a fan of kissing anyway, even if it was romantic, so the only difference would be... what exactly? Never buying each other flowers??

24 minutes ago, Acciuga said:

if I were to marry anyone it would have to be someone I love very much. Not just one of my best friends. 

But what if you love your best friend very much? :lol:

1 minute ago, sindi said:

But what if you love your best friend very much? :lol:

I do love my best friends very much. But I mean someone who I love romantically, not platonically. :lol:

I wouldn't want a marriage though I want multiple life partners. I am aromantic though so I have no wish to be romantically involved with anyone, though I am sensual so I would be cuddling, hugging, kissing and spooning with them all ideally. I'm still pinning down my sexuality exactly but I'm somewhere on the ace spectrum.

I've been considering the possibility of a potential platonic companionate marriage, civil union or long term or domestic partnership recently.

If I ever meet a guy who's also gray or non-gray aro and/or gray or non-gray ace who can be my platonic partner and either of the three are on the discussion wherein we both mutually, open-mindedly and consensually agree to; we may consider it. I'd rather be in a relationship where romance and sex are either seldom or neither both in the picture and be together as platonic friends and partners living together under the same roof yet sleep in separate bedrooms and do stuff together or separately. I'd love that. No sexual and romantic pressure. Just be strictly platonic companionate friends and partners that enjoy each other's company without the romantic and sexual tension.

7 minutes ago, Acciuga said:

I do love my best friends very much. But I mean someone who I love romantically, not platonically. :lol:

But you can love your best friend romantically - if they don't love you back, they will still stay as "just" your best friend :P (okay, I'm nitpicking pointlessly, I just happen to be in that situation myself)

1 minute ago, sindi said:

But you can love your best friend romantically - if they don't love you back, they will still stay as "just" your best friend :P (okay, I'm nitpicking pointlessly, I just happen to be in that situation myself)

Grrr, Sindi! I don't even know how to reply to this! :lol:

In a universe where romantic marriage isn't an option and it were financially beneficial to marry my best friend, sure? I guess. It wouldn't mean anything to me other than a fun fact to surprise people with, considering we're both female and heterosexual. (She's also married already.)

I would like to get (romantically) married one day so a platonic marriage gets in the way of that. I don't need health insurance so there's really no benefit there that I can think of. 

I ended up having a platonic marriage after marrying my best friend; sometimes it seems we're still roommates and not married at all (we still sleep in separate rooms), but we love each other and that's all that really matters. ^_^ I wouldn't have it any other way either; no pressure to do the nasty and we enjoy each other's company just as much.

Marriage... nah. Silly excuse to spend money. If you wanna spend the money but have absolutely nothing about your relationship change... and take advantage of certain benefits... be my fancy guest. ;p

CentaurianPrincess

If I found the right partner romantic non sexual marriage would be the ideal.

I'm aro-ace, and wouldn't want any sort of marriage, platonic nor romantic. I love having friends, but I'm not interested in a QPR, nor a romantic relationship. I'd much rather be independent. I really like my space.

Question 5 implies you want feedback, so: question 2 and 3 are a little useless if your topic is platonic marriage. Since you have no way of telling what any one person said for each question (barring them commenting), you cannot draw links between a person's orientation and their stance on platonic marriages based on the results of this poll. You'd need to have a question with answers like: 'I'm aromantic, and I would marry someone platonically.' Having these things in two separate questions gives you no way to draw links between the two. Did that make any sense?

demi romantic. greysexual. when the interest of partnership comes up, I know that I would prefer a platonic experience of commitment tho am not upset by romance. I can be uncomfortable tho if someone who isn't close tries to be romantic with me.  part of me does like the idea of a shared lifestyle with a partner, but more of me knows that I'm happy going alone. 

Sleepy Skeleton

Currently questioning everything right now so I didn't answer the poll, but I can still answer here.

I would only marry someone that I love (either platonically or romantically, I don't know) and feel comfortable with. Ideally I think that would be a platonic relationship, but if it was someone who understands and respects my boundaries then I think I'd be okay with a romantic marriage. It'd just be a very non-traditional one, if that makes any sense. :P

No marriage, period.

If I were forced at gunpoint to budge on that, platonic - as in neither sexual nor romantic - marriage would be the smallest possible evil, though. :P

I see platonic marriage as something friends would do for strictly legal reasons, and not a symbol of the importance of their friendship. I don't see myself needing any legal marriage, so I would never do that.

Are romantic and platonic mutually exclusive? I would want both in one marriage (in the apparently unlikely event I were to ever get married). There are good legal reasons to be married (various benefits, things like hospital visiting rights, etc., depending on the jurisdiction you live in, of course).

As I age, a platonic marriage for financial/security reasons would be acceptable.

I don't desire to get married. I'd probably only consider doing so for practical/financial reasons, and either a platonic friend or a romantic partner would work for that. If I had to choose without a specific person in mind, I'd probably go with the platonic friend just because most romantic people expect different things from romantic relationships and marriage than I do. It could work with a romantic person who shares my views, though.  I place virtually no symbolic importance on marriage; it's basically solely a legal contract to me.

Moonstruck Dragon
On 1/28/2017 at 9:47 AM, Baam said:

I'm aro-ace, and wouldn't want any sort of marriage, platonic nor romantic. I love having friends, but I'm not interested in a QPR, nor a romantic relationship. I'd much rather be independent. I really like my space.

Question 5 implies you want feedback, so: question 2 and 3 are a little useless if your topic is platonic marriage. Since you have no way of telling what any one person said for each question (barring them commenting), you cannot draw links between a person's orientation and their stance on platonic marriages based on the results of this poll. You'd need to have a question with answers like: 'I'm aromantic, and I would marry someone platonically.' Having these things in two separate questions gives you no way to draw links between the two. Did that make any sense?

thank you for the input! Like I said this is my first poll, and I'm not all numbers/math/calculations savvy so I was hoping someone would point out my mistakes. :)

Moonstruck Dragon
On 1/28/2017 at 10:45 AM, daveb said:

Are romantic and platonic mutually exclusive? I would want both in one marriage (in the apparently unlikely event I were to ever get married). There are good legal reasons to be married (various benefits, things like hospital visiting rights, etc., depending on the jurisdiction you live in, of course).

in my humble opinion they are not mutually exclusive.

6 hours ago, Moonstruck Dragon said:

thank you for the input! Like I said this is my first poll, and I'm not all numbers/math/calculations savvy so I was hoping someone would point out my mistakes. :)

They aren't mistakes! It would just be an improvement if you want to find links between sexuality/romanticism and platonic marriage. : P It still gives interesting results as it is! Good poll.

10 hours ago, Moonstruck Dragon said:

in my humble opinion they are not mutually exclusive.

I agree.

I only asked because question 4 didn't have an option for "both". :)

Moonstruck Dragon
12 hours ago, daveb said:

I agree.

I only asked because question 4 didn't have an option for "both". :)

I intended "either" to mean "both" but i can see now how that is unclear 

Moonstruck Dragon
16 hours ago, Baam said:

They aren't mistakes! It would just be an improvement if you want to find links between sexuality/romanticism and platonic marriage. : P It still gives interesting results as it is! Good poll.

thank you

I'm aromantic and sexual, and I don't think I'd want a platonic marriage.  In my religion, marriage has a very specific meaning, and it feels kind of dishonest to get married if I were still going to basically live like a single person.  I wouldn't mind living with a platonic partner if I found one, but marriage seems too far for me personally.

I would like a QPR and coparent, and I would be willing to marry them for the legal benefits (particularly the automatic claim for custody of my child if I die).

Archived