would you marry your best friend?

binary suns

I don't really have a "best friend", I have several very close personal friends and I wouldn't want to rate my relationships with them as "best", "second best", "third best"...

Let's see - I have one friend who I have known since we were thirteen years old, and we were and are very close, despite the fact that we don't see each other often. I had a crush on her for some time as a teenager. And I would never, ever marry her (except to save her life, if that ever came up, but this isn't a Star Trek fanfiction...). I love her dearly, but I know that we would be fundamentally incompatible. We could probably live together in the same (large) house with separate spaces to ourselves, but I think we want very different things from a relationship.

I have two other close friends, both of whom I would marry in a heartbeat. However, I think they would be getting a bad deal, since they are both heterosexual women. We'd probably be compatible in a three-way relationship with a very, very understanding man, but that's not generally socially accepted, and the logistics would be a nightmare.

Of my male friends... well. One of them already offered his help if I ever wanted to have children, which is sort of sweet, but he doesn't want to raise them with me, so that's out. 

I've never cared much for marriage, personally. But I'm dating a very dear friend of mine and if I had to marry anyone it'd be him. I mean the tax benefits are nice?

On 1/27/2017 at 8:28 AM, Every Red Heart Shines said:

let's pretend you have a best friend, you get along with them lovely amount and trust them dearly and they trust you. they mean the world to you and you to them.

suppose neither of you really "know" if you have romantic or sexual feelings for each other at all.

and you're both comfortably employed and 25 to 35 years old

for whatever reason you're looking at each other and wondering, huh. we could just marry just for peace of mind. or if you're not romantic, just for the sake of found family.

I'm going to say yes, but with some caveats.

• I won't marry someone who I know (after discussing it with them) will be unhappy being married to someone who will, in all likelihood, never be willing to provide them with sex.
    • This would just result in bad feelings.
  • I also wouldn't marry someone who would take to seeking out sexual encounters with other people to satisfy this urge.
    • This would make me feel unworthy and deficient.
  • I also won't marry someone who I think is interested in "falling in love" with someone, and having a mutually romantic relationship. 
    • This would also make me feel unworthy and deficient.

So yeah. All of those have to be addressed before I consider the tax benefits.

I have best friend like that and, if we were a few years older and it was legal, we would probably marry each other, for tax benefits and all that. It definitely sounds better than old cat lady or be in relationship with someone who'd have hard time knowing that I'd never be in love with them.

But, she's straight and pretty, so she'll probably find some good guy soon. And I'll be happy with my pets, tea and few books.

Archived