Riverdale on The CW

Galactic Turtle

Galactic Turtle

Hello humans. ^_^

So I guess I just wanted to start this thread for a new CW show called Riverdale. It's based off of the Archie comic books and while I've never read them myself, there was the reveal last year that the character Jughead is asexual. Interviews earlier with the actor portraying Jughead say he wants them to stay true to that part of the character, that he's done lots of research on asexuality, and that he hopes the writers/directors of the show keep Jughead's asexuality in mind. It airs at 9pm EST every Thursday on the CW but if you're like me and don't own a TV, you can watch in on the CW website a few hours after it airs. 

EPISODE 1 - Warnings for partial nudity and sexual content.

Jughead doesn't have too much of a big part it seems though he does serve as the narrator for the show. Other than that it seems like it's your typical teenage high school drama with all the tropes in place. A bit dull, if I'm honest, but hey at least it's cool to know that there might be one asexual character on TV. Maybe I'd like it better if it focused more on the mystery and less about half the cast looking to jump someone's bones. *shrugs* Though from other articles it sounds like the show will really be focusing on the development on friendships amongst the craziness.

• 2 months later...

I recently caught up on Riverdale and Jughead is currently in a relationship with a girl that involves kissing so far. Not that this stops him being ace, but it hasn't come up yet and I'm not sure that it will. Fingers crossed though?! 

Mundane Mesh
Spoiler

There has, apparently, been some discussion on writing a storyline where Jughead discovers his asexuality. An improvement over the writers claiming Jughead was going to be heterosexual on the show.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but the fact that the writers went from "ain't gonna happen" to "maybe he'll be asexual" is a positive sign.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see a story with an ace character or a story that shows someone discovering themselves. Unfortunately, I don't think Riverdale can be that show...at least not for me.

I've watched Riverdale, and I quite enjoyed it...up until the last episode of season 1.

I found the episode deeply unsatisying for a couple of reasons. I've hidden my thoughts, just in case anyone wants to watch the episode; I don't want to be responsible for spoiling anything for them.

My first problem with episode 13 is that it didn't feel like closure for the story that had been told in the series up until that point. Instead, it felt like a set up for Season 2, and that makes me feel less likely to watch what happens next than I would have been had it been an entirely new story arc. To me, it feels as though the series is going to enter the realm of never ending soap opera, rather than be a show with a clearly developed and thought out plot. What I liked about the show was the mystery aspect of it. All the who is dating who relationship stuff just gets in the way of the more interesting aspects of the plot. I like my stories to have resolutions, and this episode failed miserably on that front.

My second problem was with Jughead and Betty. If I didn't know about Jughead being ace in the comics, I probably wouldn't have been too concerned about their storyline. (I wouldn't have been particularly interested in it, but I wouldn't have been too bothered by it.) However, I was left deeply disappointed by what happened in episode 13.

It's one thing for Jughead to date Betty and be in a relationship. Heck, long before I knew asexuality was a thing, I went out with people and hoped for sparks to fly (which they never did). So I can see Jughead dating and feeling emotionally close to someone else. But a point came in the episode (which involved a trailer, a kitchen counter, and apparent enthusiasm for losing clothes from both people involved) after which I find it hard to see how I can be convinced that Jughead is asexual. If that scene hadn't happened, or if Jughead hadn't seemed to be into what they were doing, I would be more convinced that a Jughead-discovers-his-orientation storyline could work. 

For me, though, I think the series has passed the point of no return on that particular possibility.

And, yes, in case you're wondering, I am disappointed.

Archived