2017 Solar Eclipse!!! August 18-21st

Enbious1

BobRossRules

I stayed home and watched with my pets.  I'm glad I did.  It was super awesome.  Just an absolute amazing experience.  Everything got real quiet (except for my neighbors  cheering).  The weather was great, and I watched the whole thing from start to finish.  The only thing I missed with the snakes.  Did anyone see them?    

Please post pictures and videos here.  I didn't take any pictures since I'm not a photographer.  I didn't want to stress about get the perfect photograph and miss out on the actual eclipse.  However, I'd like to see what others may have done.  I did, however, get some crescent shadows.

Spoiler

20953854_1905991299726929_5525769248327568997_n.jpg?oh=0fdc03e318229458e37cb0c8d3f89f78&oe=5A22C485

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoyed it.  

Even though it was only 94% here, it was awesome. It looked like it was a couple hours before sunset. The eclipse brought a cooling relief of 10ºF (-12ºC) here. I was fortunate enough to see it through eclipse glasses.  Yes, I would have taken a 100% eclipse, but maybe that will happen sometime.

I decided to stay home, too. My dogs were out in my back yard with me during the eclipse. It was incredible that I got to see 100% totality from my hometown. I'm glad that I decided not to go to the stadium--I heard it was absolutely packed with thousands of people. They ran out of seats so people were spilling over into the field. It wasn't the only place in town where people could view it, though. We had a few nature parks (like with small forests and lakes) that had thousands of people viewing from there, too. Different news stations were live streaming from various towns around the state, and I was watching the live streams leading up to about 10 minutes before the moon completely covered the sun. I ran in and out of the house a few times before totality so I could see the sun being covered and notice the changes outside. It was just so surreal! It truly is something very hard to understand what it's like unless you've seen it for yourself! It dropped about 12ºF, and it progressively got darker and darker, but it wasn't really like how it normally gets dark. It just had a different feeling to it. And the colors that you could see around you were off, kind of like when a storm is approaching and everything has a kind of saturated green and yellow tint to it. Everything you could see around you was so sharp, but bizarre at the same time. It was like you were in a dream. There was what seemed to be a sunset that ringed all around the horizon--not just in the west. And the sun was overhead in the sky since it was almost 1:00 when totality reached us. The sky did get dark but not like night--it was a very deeply saturated blue, and some stars and planets could be seen. The point of totality came and the last few beads of light flickered out. It sounded like the whole town erupted with yelling. Tens of thousands of people bellowed and cannons were shot off. It was like a black hole had been torn into a nearly cloudless blue sky. The initial cheers of the town died down almost as soon as they erupted, and a silenced hush fell upon the town--not a single bird made a noise. There was a slight breeze which tinkled my neighbor's wind chimes up the street, and crickets began to chirp. The eclipse started to get all wispy and white around the edges before light tore through along the edge of the moon. The town lit up again almost immediately after that. Wow, it was just an absolutely incredible experience. :o

BobRossRules

We had some neighbors shooting off fireworks before the event started.  Thankfully, folks were respectful during the event.  I could hear people talking and kids playing, etc.  But it was still peaceful. During most of the event I was listening to music.  However, I turned it off just before totality so I could enjoy the silence.  It was pretty cool.  My neighbors were yelling whoo-hoo, but it wasn't obnoxious or anything.  I'm glad I didn't go to a public place.  I liked having the freedom to go inside (and pee), get some water etc. without worrying about losing my place.  I agree, it was incredible!  

Not that I like to boast or anything, but I ended up in what I think was quite possibly the best eclipse viewing place in the whole of the United States of America! Just north of Jackson Hole, Wyoming, a few of us hiked up to the top of a ridge with an amazing view of the Grand Teton mountains and the valleys below. Because it required a bit of time and effort on our part to get there, we escaped the crowds. Perfect weather, no clouds. It was possible to see Venus, Mars and Mercury in the moments before, during and after totality.

It was supposed to be 99%+ here, but it didn't get dark. Even with just a small sliver covered (could see that with solar glasses) the ambient light only dimmed. It was still interesting and a little eerie. Cast shadows had crescents in them and it got a good bit cooler out.

With 80% coverage, you wouldn't be able to notice any difference in the amount of light. It needs to get very close to total coverage before you can perceive any changes in the level of light, and even when it is total, it does not get completely dark like night time. It is more like very early dawn or very late dusk. 

If you are in an open area as I was, you are treated to the rare spectacle of it looking like sunrise is happening all around you in every direction, and not just in the east as with a normal sunrise. AND I also got to see Baily's beads and the diamond ring, which I think is the most fantastic part of a total eclipse.

BobRossRules

During totality, it wasn't completely dark like nighttime, but I was surprised at how dark it got.  The pink sky was nifty, and I noticed some stars too.  I saw the diamond ring and Bailey's beads also.  The sun's corona was super neat with solar flares and such.  I had solar binoculars, so I was able to capture some great detail.  Better than with just the glasses.  The only thing I missed were the snake shadows (shadow bands).  Did anyone see them?  

SpaceDustbin

Bunch of show offs :lol: (just a tad jealous over here ;) )

Sooo...any Europeans who've seen the 1999 eclipse? :P

There aren't many things left that amaze me after 62 years, but this did. The light stayed surprisingly strong right up until totality, then we saw the entire Cascade Mountain range to the west black out as totality neared us, like the approach of total oblivion. It got dark much faster than my eyes could adjust, leading to the bizarre feeling  I was about to pass out. The sun's corona was silky and beautiful, far brighter than I had expected. The sky on the northern and southern horizons was yellow and green, with Mount Hood and the Three Sisters in dim sunshine. Then Mount Jefferson, 25 miles west of us, began to glow like a Chinese lantern. Within a few seconds, bright beads of sun erupted from the right side of the corona and daylight grew rapidly. That was freaking amazing!

Pictures don't really do this event justice - even the professional ones. A lot of the amazement is simply due to the ambience. I was in Douglas WY and the temperature dropped from 77 to 66 in an hour, and from 73 to 66 within a fifteen minute period. The difference from 99% to totality is huge - it gets dark really fast (you can see a 360 degree sunset), and there is a sudden chill in the air. Anyway here are my pictures from the eclipse:

Spoiler

IMG_8121_zpszroumwqc.jpgIMG_8132_zps1spg3fmh.jpg?t=1503425164

IMG_8133_zpstn7xuszc.jpg?t=1503425164

IMG_8131_zpsrku6qere.jpg?t=1503425164

IMG_8130_zpscpcxrtzo.jpg?t=1503425164

Worth noting that the corona is much thinner when viewed with the naked eye. The first picture of the partial eclipse is actually at ~80-90% of totality.

My dog ran away before, during and after totality, and I've been trying to figure out why.    She disappeared for about two hours.  Could it be she was growing disgusted with our party, and when I tried to put a pair of solar eclipse glasses on her for laughs and a photo-op, she gave me the "fuck you don't laugh at me I'm a German shepherd" look.  Not long after that she ran away.  I got a voicemail message from someone a half mile away saying she was lost and hanging out with them.  They left one more message but I didn't get them till much later in the day.  She came home on her own, wet, tired and muddy, about an hour after totality.  I was just getting ready to start looking for her.

@shockkkk, I was in Riverton, Wyo,.  Is there any other way to post your pics - I can't see them - only the photobucket account update bullshit.  

BobRossRules

@shockkkk the pictures did post, just a message about updating your photobucket account.

@Muledeer I'm glad your dog is safe and sound.  

Most of my coworkers were stoked about the eclipse and really enjoyed it.  However, when discussing the eclipse with others, I was surprised to find that many didn't really care.  Many said it was overrated and they didn't even bother watching it.  To each it's own I guess.    

41 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

@shockkkk the pictures did post, just a message about updating your photobucket account.

They showed up for me at first, but now I'm seeing what you see.

41 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

However, when discussing the eclipse with others, I was surprised to find that many didn't really care.  Many said it was overrated and they didn't even bother watching it.  To each it's own I guess.

Yeah, I don't get that. Oh, well. :P

Talk of the eclipse reminds me of a T.V. show intro.

Archived