2017 Solar Eclipse!!! August 18-21st

Enbious1

Good day, everyone! I am a huge nature lover and fan and I wish I could spend more time outdoors than I currently do, so I am super excited about the full solar eclipse that will happen on August 21st of this year for the US. You can read all about it here! I am hoping that maybe we can get a few other nature and space lovers together for various meet-ups all over, so I will try and post something in that forum. That link will list various locations to be able to see it, so maybe if your interested, set up a meet-up event where you live!

I've never seen a full solar eclipse before so I'm excited about this. I'll be in Wyoming to see it although I'll probably be hard pressed for time to meet up.

I'm going down to Carbondale, IL for this. It's only about 6-7 hours from where I am. I can't wait, I've never seen one either

I moved to Oregon so I could see this!

(well, not exactly, but it is a happy coincidence that I will now be living much closer to where it is happening) :) 

Autumn Sunrise

Too far away for me ;):D I wonder if Australia is expecting any solar eclipses this year???

I'm in South Carolina so I'm only less than an hour away from where it's a total eclipse :).

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I'll be in Wyoming during it, I'll get photos if I can.

2 hours ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

I'll be in Wyoming during it, I'll get photos if I can.

You should post them here if you get some good ones.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 10:25 AM, _V_ said:

You should post them here if you get some good ones.

I plan on doing so if I get the chance to be online. I'll be in an area in Wyoming where there will be not much internet access so we shall se how well I connect to internet.

I'm in an area where we'll get a 99% view. I don't think it's much different from being in Columbia or Greenville where they'll get 100%. 

25 minutes ago, Toothlesss said:

I'm in an area where we'll get a 99% view. I don't think it's much different from being in Columbia or Greenville where they'll get 100%. 

I'll be in Wyoming during it hopefully, it will be my first full solar eclipse too.

• 2 weeks later...
BobRossRules

I live right smack-dab in the sweet spot of totality (Idaho Falls) - whoo hoo!  I will video it or try anyway.  :D

• 5 months later...

I am in the USA on vacation right now :) and I will be in an area where I will see the total eclipse. This will be the second total eclipse that I have seen; we had one in France in 1999.

I'm lucky to live only 50 miles south of of the totality line in central Oregon, and will view it with a friend who's flying in from the east coast.  There's a lot of smoke around from forest fires, though, so we may not get the best view. This will be my second total eclipse (assuming we get to see it!), previous one was in 1979 and almost in the same location. Besides these, I've seen one annular eclipse and several partial eclipses dating back to 1970. That one inspired Carly Simon to write it into the lyrics of "You're So Vain".

BobRossRules

I can't wait!!

Idaho Falls area apparently is a popular spot given the elevation and with it being in the dessert, a less chance of rain.  We will have a lot of people coming and they are warning us not to water our lawn as we may run out of drinking water.  They also recommend getting enough food, as grocery stores will be cleaned out.  I'll make sure I have plenty of food and water.  I'm taking the day off of work as well as the next day as I am assuming traffic will be insane.    

I thought this was neat

SorryNotSorry

Do any of you live near a welding supply? If so, you can always swing by and pick up a shaded window for a welding helmet. Make sure you get at least shade #10 (minimum shade required for electric welding), they have them up to #14 (darkest). Shouldn't cost you more than 7 bucks, and they last for years.

I ordered some paper glasses made for viewing solar eclipses, with the proper ratings. 5 pairs for around $15. I only need them to last a few minutes. :P 

BobRossRules

I went grocery shopping today and they were giving out free paper eclipse glasses.  Some time ago I ordered some binoculars with removable solar filters.  Hopefully they'll work out.  I used them, but I need to practice aiming for the sun and quickly taking off the filters.  Fingers crossed for good weather! 

I have seen on the TV news they are warning that there are fake and unsafe eclipse viewing glasses in circulation. It is something to be cautious about.

News said we'll see it in the Caribbean but partial. I envy y'all who will see it fully cause the first time I experienced a full one was surreal.

When the solar eclipse passes over your house on your birthday week, you know it's a sign from mother nature that you were destined to destroy the world. 

BobRossRules

I'm stoked!:D  The forecast keeps changing from sunny to partly cloudy.  I'm huddled in my house avoiding the crowds.  I bought enough food, so I won't need to go out into the madness.   Fingers crossed the internet won't go out.  

I am on my way to Grand Teton national park, Wyoming. So I will soon be in position and ready for the event :lol:

I am heading to Riverton, Wyoming for this event.  My friend is having a three day eclipse party in the path of totality!  I am taking the whole week off for a vacation.  I hope the traffic won't be horrible, but I assume it will be very slow going, especially afterwards.  

I am in position and ready for the big event. I am in a campsite which was booked three years in advance! The entire campsite is buzzing right now and everyone is chatting. Tomorrow it all happens!

I'm SO PUMPED for the eclipse. My home town is right in the path of totality. I'll get to see the full thing. There's already so many people in town--we had about 1,000 people already come in to my workplace today for a Solar Eclipse Eve party, which is a really rare occurrence for us to get that many. We're supposed to have tens of thousands of extra people in town, and it was estimated that statewide, there could be anywhere from 165,000 to 465,000 people visiting. I've already met people from out of the country who are in town.

I haven't decided what I want to do for the viewing yet (yes, I know it's tomorrow, but I can't decide!). I don't know if I want to go to a stadium and have the experience of being with thousands of other people or if I want to go home and view it in my backyard with my dogs. Anybody have any suggestions???

Sounds really cool! I'll see if I can get any good pics. It would be great to see what it looks like in everyone else's corner of the world, too! :)

Archived