How do you feel about hugs and skin contact?

**Violet**

So i've heard a lot of aces dont like hugs, me on other hand happen to love hugs(im also ace). So just wondering how other aces feel about hugs and contact.

It depends of the person. I'm usually a person who doesn't like hugs and contact with people. But if it's with my sisters or cousins I love it. With friends I only hug and such if they initiate it. 

I don't mind a hug depending on the situation. If I meet a female friend or friend's wife, I'm sure there will be hugging, which I don't mind. Now if it was someone I was meeting for the 1st time, I'd have a different reaction.

I like hugs! I don't get them often.  TT-TT

Hugs and cuddles, I'm all for it.

Estrella Starr

I'm about 75% okay with hugs lol I know that sounds weird but I don't think my asexuality has anything to do with it. I am 6"1' so hugging people shorter than me has always been something I try to avoid because I feel awkward doing it. I don't find hugging my family or friends, in fact most of the time I hug people I'm close to hello and goodbye as long as they are comfortable with it. But don't really hug anyone else. 

Mychemicalqpr

I love hugs. I do need to to be comfortable with the person though, and I need a second of visual or verbal warning before someone else initiates, as I startle easily. 

I largely just appreciate contact from people I trust, and even then, hugs are generally where I stop. I'm already kinda known for not being very touchy-feely, so my aro aceness just compounds my relatively stoic personality. Bit depressing, but I guess it means my smaller gestures are more significant than normal.

What a good question! I'm not a big hugger, but I'm not against them either. I rarely initiate one, unless it's with my mom or grandmother :)

Demi-Hugger here :D I don't like hugging random people, but once we're familiar I'm probably going to hug and skin-contact the hell out of you - especially since I'm utter rubbish at organizing my thoughts in real-time. I'll just hug you instead of mumbling something totally incoherent...

I love hugs, when from the right people. If it's, say, someone I'm not too familiar with or someone I'm not on the best of terms with (my biological dad is the only example that I think I might even have the possibility of coming in contact with again, though I've yet to warm up to my current stepdad yet either... admittedly hugging my brother would probably be awkward too since we haven't really ever gotten along, though we're on much more civil terms than before), theeen it's gonna be a little bit uncomfortable. But with family and friends I don't mind it/actually welcome hugs. Cuddling... Eeeh I haven't done much of that in my life, not many people I've been close enough with that that would be normal or acceptable. It sounds nice, though.

Happy with it when it's around people I know and trust, but hate when it's unexpected or from people I can't stand. Happy to hug friends and family, wouldn't care for a stranger rubbing my shoulder, which happens more than you think.

I love hugs - If I'm close to someone it's my most comfortable way of expressing affection towards them. 

I'm always OK with hugs, tbh, when you're genderqueer or trans* you don't get them so often. I'm also introverted so it doesn't help.

I'm not a fan of hugs, but I love getting them from my girlfriend, and cuddling with her is one of the best things in the world. I would not hesitate to refuse a hug from anyone else though. 

I hate hugging in general but I make an exception for my familly.

I had a "moment" years ago that has probably affected my thoughts on close contact.

I spent a week with a female friend (straight) that I had known for 15 years, in Alberta and British Columbia Canada. She had moved out there for work. We had a great time together and had a lot of fun (non-sexual). Well the vacation was coming to an end and she was dropping me off at the airport. I had got my luggage out of her car. As we stood there facing each I moved close to hug her and give her a kiss.

"What did you do that for?

Talk about sucking the energy out of the moment.

I lamely told her I was just showing my appreciation for the wonderful time with her. It really cast a pall over my thoughts of the week. I've socialized with a couple of girls since, but I'm pretty sure you could count the number of kisses I've exchanged since with one hand.

I don't mind hugs from good friends or relatives, regardless of their gender.

I'm fine with hugs and contact if they come from my family. Although even then it can feel awkward for me. I'm not sure why.
Hugs from friends are rather a "no" though, even if I know them since long. I really need to know someone very, very well.

I'm not sure how much that would have to do with asexuality, if anything. Besides that, I'm diagnosed with Aspergers, so it can as well just be part of that in my specific case.

I had a good chuckle with the term demi-hugger @Homer S. ;)

I love hugs, especially from close friends!! My entire group of friends are quite big huggers as well and a hug always helps me to cheer up a bit if i'm feeling sad

Love hugging, love holding, love feeling the touch and closeness. I wrap myself round my wife in bed every night and if I'm not wrapped around her, she is wrapped around me. Can't sleep in bed without her.

@James121, it must be nice to have a "big teddy" to hug. ;) I've always imagined how that must be like.

Might have to add to my previous post that the awkwardness of getting hugged and hugging family members is just an "initial feeling of awkwardness" for me, it fades with time the longer the hugs are. From then on it can be very nice.

I love hugs, especially from the right person(s).  Unfortunately, I am often quite bad at speaking up for myself and asking for what I want, especially around new people that I kind of like, so it makes this facet of my life slightly difficult.

Hugs are heckin great, but I'm never the one to make the hug happen. I'm not really a fan of touching myself, but it's comforting to be on the receiving end of a hug.

probablypandas

being touched by strangers or people i do not trust enough makes me want to tear off my skin

friends are okay though

I'm very touch-averse,  no hugs,  thanks. Handshake or high-fives only 

Archived