Trump's Inauguration

Joe the Stoic

AsexualMemeTrash

To heck with the Establishment Clause. 

All the religious talk in the ceremony is a promotion of religion by the government. 

Which is illegal.

Finding myself

Just arrived home. Inauguration came on when I switched tv on; turned channel over cos can't cope with the praying and bible reading and speeches about God giving them their country etc when they have chosen Trump. Actually very upsetting to watch. 

17 minutes ago, Amnesiac said:

W was a better Darth Vader analogue, since he was a figurehead controlled by someone much more evil. Unfortunately he didn't redeem himself by throwing Dick Cheney down a pit.

Joe the Stoic
6 minutes ago, AsexualMemeTrash said:

All the religious talk in the ceremony is a promotion of religion by the government. 

Which is illegal.

It did seem a lot more pointedly religious than is normal.

Trump and Putin as the world's most powerful leaders. Well, then...

**Jumps off the bridge**

My ghost is now weeping.

...Why can't I feel my everything? I'm not sad, angry, bitter, or anything. Just nothing.

Oh...*feels a sharp pain in her back* there it is. ...Ow...

1 hour ago, Quasar.w said:

This still feels like a joke...

It feels like the The Man in the High Castle TV show, a dystopian alternate reality.

21 minutes ago, Kelly said:

It feels like the The Man in the High Castle TV show, a dystopian alternate reality.

coming soon to the USA: The Mandibles: A family 2029 - 2047

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

What I thought after watching Trump's inauguration....

033af904e92c92f6a3c608ee937a7916f8178c63

When I realised it wasn't a dream, I said to reality:

9ca25fc080804f0eedfb8d1e71d8f6bc282949df

I wasn't a huge supporter of Trump, but I felt that his speech was phenomenal. I didn't appreciate my history teacher trying to draw comparisons between Trump and Hitler/Mussolini the entire time, though. Like, dude, you're a teacher and you're comparing your students to Nazis. What the heck!?

4 hours ago, AsexualMemeTrash said:

Which is illegal.

In what way is fighting "radical Islamic terrorism" the promotion of a certain religion?

4 minutes ago, yourcaptaiin said:

In what way is fighting "radical Islamic terrorism" the promotion of a certain religion?

Out of all the religious references throughout, you chose that one? Crazy. 

Also, if you found a speech full of underlying racism, contradictions and veiled insults phenomenal then you need to go watch some of the famous speeches throughout history. Trump's speech was awful.

2 minutes ago, Amnesiac said:

Out of all the religious references throughout, you chose that one? Crazy. 

Also, if you found a speech full of underlying racism, contradictions and veiled insults phenomenal then you need to go watch some of the famous speeches throughout history. Trump's speech was awful.

What other religious promotion was there?

Where was there underlying racism?

he mentioned god a coupla times. but to be honest, at least half of them could have applied to any god of any religion, and some people believe all the gods are actually the same god so... all things considered, his speech was not a religious one at all. 

" The Bible tells us how good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity. We must speak our minds openly, debate our disagreements honestly, but always pursue solidarity. When America is united, America is totally unstoppable. There should be no fear. We are protected and we will always be protected. We will be protected by the great men and women of our military and law enforcement. And most importantly, we will be protected by God. "

yeah that was like, the only passage he had any religious connotation. and it's barely there. notice how that exert is directly expressing an interest in diversity with solidarity? overall, his speech covered a lot of demographic appeal.

1 minute ago, Every Red Heart Shines said:

he mentioned god a coupla times. but to be honest, at least half of them could have applied to any god of any religion, and some people believe all the gods are actually the same god so... all things considered, his speech was not a religious one at all. 

I understood it as the "figurative god," which is code for moral superiority.

"God will protect us" = We occupy the moral high ground.

2 minutes ago, skit` said:

" The Bible tells us how good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity. We must speak our minds openly, debate our disagreements honestly, but always pursue solidarity. When America is united, America is totally unstoppable. There should be no fear. We are protected and we will always be protected. We will be protected by the great men and women of our military and law enforcement. And most importantly, we will be protected by God. "

Again, the majority of American values come from the either the Bible or the founding fathers. Using the Bible to exercise such a point is more about morality than spirituality.

and like seriously... if someone who believes that their worshiped god is going to protect me, I'mnot going to make a big deal out of it. they earnestly believe their god is protecting me. there is nothing wrong with that, even if I disagree with them, they aren't exactly "wrong" for expressing what they earnestly believe. in fact - that expression is a protected right under the constitution lol. 

24 minutes ago, yourcaptaiin said:

What other religious promotion was there?

Where was there underlying racism?

See below for the first bit, your response was to a comment about the ceremony not the speech.

I think the underlying racism for me is in how he says what he says. More down to body language and facial expressions when he says certain things, but that's how I infer it.

16 minutes ago, Every Red Heart Shines said:

That's a fair comment, but the response was to the inauguration as a whole which was heavily Christian. (I said heavily, not entirely before anyone tries take that out of context)

2 minutes ago, Every Red Heart Shines said:

yeah that was like, the only passage he had any religious connotation. and it's barely there. notice how that exert is directly expressing an interest in diversity with solidarity? overall, his speech covered a lot of demographic appeal.

Yeah. Religion = Spirituality + Morality. Trump's emphasis here was definitely on the moral aspect of Christianity. And for the most part, Judeo-Christian morals are the same as American morals. If you boil Christianity down to its core components and remove the theological aspects, what you get is the American moral compass.

Just now, Amnesiac said:

your response was to a comment about the ceremony not the speech

Oh sorry about that. I was only able to watch the speech. I have no idea what's happened during the rest of the ceremony.

3 minutes ago, Amnesiac said:

I think the underlying racism for me is in how he says what he says. More down to body language and facial expressions when he says certain things, but that's how I infer it.

Are you saying that his body language / mannerisms are racist? (actual question. I'm sort of confused on what you're saying.)

most of his innaugural speech was about giving financial stability back to the US, and allowing healthy diversity to have representation under a united nation. there were more mentions of the military than religious mentions to be honest, lol. 

oh - yeah the whole ceremony was pretty religious. I've never seen other ceremonies tho, and after I saw the inauguration speech I stopped caring to watch the religious crap. I just assumed that was normal inauguration. 

Archived