My Worst Moment As An Asexual...

will123

I'm going to post a situation here later today that I feel was probably the worst moment I've endured as an asexual. It actually happened about five years before I realized what I was.

I'm using my phone right now, so I'll finish the first post of this thread with my laptop later this morning.

Back in 2000, a friend's wife introduced me to a co-worker her's. I was 38 and Suzanne was 24. Our interests were similar and we had a lot of fun. After about a year and a half (with very sporadic physical contact) things came to a head (not in a truly negative way). She was not a virgin, but by her own words inexperienced. Then there was me the virgin. Suzanne was asking me if "we'd" be able to take our friendship/relationship to the next level. I told her unfortunately that I couldn't. At the time I told her I just couldn't get "close to her".

With that she said she would have to move on. I couldn't fault her for that. That was the last time we saw each other or communicated. The rest of that evening wasn't that bad, considering what had just happened. The next day at work (a factory) was horrible. I worked alone in my workshop and have minimal contact with other workers other than at breaks and lunch. I was on the verge of tears most of the day.  

Being told that I need therapy because I didn't want to have sex with anyone. It happened a lot back when I was dating my ex when I told my friends and family I didn't want to have sex with him.

Friend/family: "Do you love him"

Me:"yes"

Friend/family: "Do you want to date him"

Me:"yes"

Friend/family: "And you don't want to have sex with him? :o" "But then you're not dating you're just close friends"

Me: "nope, we're dating"

Friend/family: "You love him and yet you don't want to have sex with him? :o This is really weird. You should really see a therapist or something to get this fixed"

It got so much worse when I went to see a therapist when I was very (physically) ill and needed emotional support. Instead of being supportive and understanding she misdiagnosed me with all sorts of crap, largely because I didn't want to sleep with my ex or anyone else. She was extremely condescending. Worst therapist ever! I was literally crying my eyes out every day because of her. She was so mean. It took me a few months but eventually I quit therapy. I think it took me a year or two to get over my fear of seeing another therapist because she was so horrible, but since I was still physically ill I really needed emotional support, so I went to another therapist. This other therapist was extremely supportive and accepting of asexuality :):cake:.

Helana, glad to hear things worked out positively after being mistreated for so long.

Archived