Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world

Aha aha
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world
It's a rich man's world

Lol that song was annoying me as I couldn't find the actual song I meant and every google result pointed me to the Abba song instead :D

I now know it's the Ojays For The love of Money

On 1/23/2017 at 1:33 AM, sindi said:

Are you saying, that first of all aromantics are oppressed in society? And secondly, any kind of romantics are not? I hardly agree with that. Heterosexual romantics certainly are not oppressed, but other types of romantics, especially if they're asexual on top of it, are just as "oppressed" as aromantics. In a lot of cases, I think people are more accepting of an aromantic person, than a homoromantic one, for instance! And what comes to the potential partners, all asexual romantics are at a big disadvantage, while aromantics don't even need to worry about partners in the first place.

As far as I can tell, heteroromantic asexuals experience less oppression than aromantic people. On a list of 16 heterosexual privileges, aros scored 1-3 and hetero aces scored 7.

http://abnormaldiversity.blogspot.ca/2017/01/do-asexuals-and-aromantics-have.html?m=1

Probably one of the biggest challenges for aros in our society is finding non-romantic relationships that provide things our society thinks only romantic relationships should provide. Just because I don't feel romantic attraction doesn't mean I want to be alone. And most friendships don't have enough commitment to really meet my needs. Plus if I want a co-parent (which I do - I want to be a mother and I'd like someone there to help), it's tricky to find a non-romantic co-parent or to ensure their legal rights to my child if I can't look after them anymore.

If you think finding a romantic partner who doesn't want sex is tough, imagine trying to find a best friend who'll really let you come first in their life.    

I was gonna say "I'm to asexy for my shirt," but then I remembered this is the aro thread. You didn't see this. Aro's are cool too you know.

15 hours ago, Ettina said:

As far as I can tell, heteroromantic asexuals experience less oppression than aromantic people. On a list of 16 heterosexual privileges, aros scored 1-3 and hetero aces scored 7.

And that's why I took homoromantics as an example, if you didn't happen to notice...

6 minutes ago, sindi said:

And that's why I took homoromantics as an example, if you didn't happen to notice...

"Heterosexual romantics certainly are not oppressed, but other types of romantics, especially if they're asexual on top of it, are just as "oppressed" as aromantics."

Heteroromantic asexuals are not heterosexual romantics, therefore they are included in that statement.

Plus, if you look at the list of 16 heterosexual privileges, an aro-ace has only one of those. A homoromantic has none. Not a big difference. And that's using a list specifically focused on the issues that gay people face. I'm pretty sure that there are also issues that are unique to aros. And as for some people preferring aros to homoromantics, well, the reverse is also true. I've heard from many aros who've had a talk from parents saying "if you're gay, it's OK to tell me" while refusing to believe them or being very sad for them when they come out as aromantic.

I don't have a problem with the topic of this thread - anyone can be annoying, often in ways particular to their category of people - but we shouldn't downplay the significance of the oppression that aromantics face. 

19 hours ago, Ettina said:

Heteroromantic asexuals are not heterosexual romantics, therefore they are included in that statement.

Oops. I was thinking of all kinds of heteroromantics. My bad.

19 hours ago, Ettina said:

Plus, if you look at the list of 16 heterosexual privileges, an aro-ace has only one of those. A homoromantic has none. Not a big difference.

I never said that it was a big difference, I only argued against the fact that homoromantics would be less oppressed. I'm not trying to downplay the oppression of aromantics, merely trying to say, that they're not so uniquely oppressed that making a joke about them, or mentioning annoying things, should be completely off-limits.

(and yeah, in some cases aromantics might be more oppressed, in some cases less, but I never intended to prolong a debate about the exact level of oppression that different orientations face. My point was what I stated above, about aromantics not being super duper oppressed in comparison to others.)

"why the heck do you need to find an SO? They are just time wasting/fun ruining pieces of junk." 

I find the complaints a lot of aromantic people say about romantic people annoying. but it's dumb'cause I'm demi so it's like... I see their point... and that's what's more annoying.... :unsure:

Hermit Advocate

Ban all PDA, it's making me uncomfortable. 

"[Only] aromantic people make great friends"
Three seconds later...
"I've finally told my friend that I couldn't care less about her recent break up! Geez, I'm so sick of her whining about it!"
:huh:

"Why can't you be happy without a relationship?" - To be fair, I hear romantic people saying that to other romantics, and it kind of annoys me too. When an ace says "Why can't you be happy without sex? Can't you just masturbate? Maybe you should find new hobbies. Go hiking, play an instrument, make new friends... You can't depend on others to be happy and fulfilled. That's not healthy. Maybe you should get some therapy", everyone jumps it and says that we should respect sexual people's needs. However, a lot of people (aro or not) don't complain when people treat romantics like that. I find it a bit hypocritical, tbh. <_<

"Romance is what makes relationships bad, toxic, controlling, possessive, unhealthy, etc." - People who said that probably have had better friendships/platonic relationships than me. :lol:

Well, I think that is all I could think of. Even though I'm romantic, I can understand most of aromantics' complaints, especially about movies and tv shows being too "romance-oriented".

I don't know if that counts but from my experience with talking to aros, they are veeeery emotionally cold? Or am I just unlucky?

Hermit Advocate
9 hours ago, hekoppetaca1 said:

I don't know if that counts but from my experience with talking to aros, they are veeeery emotionally cold? Or am I just unlucky?

I don't think of myself as being a cold person because of my aromanticism; A little reserved maybe, but I don't freeze people out when first meeting them. I am selective with who i spend my time with. 

I take no offense at the existence of this thread, and have some probably annoying habits of my own to contribute:

"Ew, they're making out! I don't want to see their cooties in action." :Actual quote by me ^_^

Or when I complain when two characters end up in a romance by the end of a story. I'm sure yall romantics just roll your eyes, lol.

Hermit Advocate
37 minutes ago, crazitaco said:

Or when I complain when two characters end up in a romance by the end of a story. I'm sure yall romantics just roll your eyes, lol.

I was so happy at the ending of Rouge One when they didn't turn it into a romance. 

Mychemicalqpr
19 minutes ago, Hey you in the corner said:

I was so happy at the ending of Rouge One when they didn't turn it into a romance. 

OH MY GOSH YES. 

I don't caps lock often, but I was braced for that the whole time, and then I was so happy when it didn't happen. 

Archived