Annoying things that aromantics say

sindi

Maybe it's indeed best for the mods to delete this thread. For every actually annoying thing that aromantics might say, there are like ten whiny comments about the existence of this thread, the hardness of the life of aromantics or "annoying things" that are obviously not.

"ahh I hate kissing scenes just for the sake of having romance in there, when it adds nothing to the plot!" Ah, but romance makes everything better, you strange little aromantic person!

1 minute ago, sindi said:

You're basically saying annoying things that romantics say now, off you go to the relevant thread.

Why can't we both say it? We're not that different.

"Valentine's day is the worst. Cheap chocolate day for the win!" <- me

Just now, Philbo Wiseroot said:

Why can't we both say it? We're not that different.

I agree that we're not that different.

Just now, sindi said:

I agree that we're not that different.

So why can't we both say it?

Just now, Baam said:

"Valentine's day is the worst. Cheap chocolate day for the win!" <- me

AGREED! Feb 15 is awesome because cheap chocolate! Also, Valentine's Day is just bleh from a romantic perspective because it's not romantic it it's forced and expected!

So why can't we both say it?

Of course we can. But I felt that Baam was just trying to provoke and imply, that all romantics love pointless kissing scenes.

No, I was just saying things that some aromantic people annoyingly say. That's the point of the thread after all. I'm not generalising. Only some say it. I totally wasn't implying anything bad about romantics either, I was on topic, quoting annoying things aromantic people say. Like:

"I would rather eat icecream and go live in a manor full of papos rather than enter a romantic relationship. Romance is the worst."

Just some, not all. Not me, of course. :nopapo:

3 minutes ago, Baam said:

"I would rather eat icecream and go live in a manor full of papos rather than enter a romantic relationship. Romance is the worst."

THE AROCALYPSE IS COMING!

On 1/20/2017 at 3:21 PM, ohdearIzzy said:

Image result for i don't want a relationship i want a partnership

(As if this partnership is in any way different from a normal relationship)

Other than possibly the making love part this describes Sadie and Katie from Total Drama Island pretty well. (I had insomnia recently and watched cartoons for a good portion of the night. :P)

bffl__katie_and_sadie_by_e_scope_145.jpg

I hope they delete this thread. You aros won.

I hope they delete this thread. You aros won.

Won, what? This isn't a competition. I don't think this thread should be deleted. 

8 minutes ago, m4rble said:

Won, what? This isn't a competition. I don't think this thread should be deleted. 

Agreed. In my view as a mod of another similar forum with similar ToS, threads should only be deleted if they break ToS in such a way that individual posts can't be hidden.

"I do not feel romantic attraction towards others, and prefer to be on my own platonically. I am not a psychopath."

1 minute ago, Baam said:

I am not a psychopath

Yeah. What is it with the whole "aros are robots and psychopaths" thing? Is it because of the whole "difference is wrong" narrative that everyone on this forum (even the cis-het people) will face at some point in their lives?

9 minutes ago, m4rble said:

Won in the sense of completely taking over this thread with sarcastic/passive-aggressive posts. (Note that I have no problem whatsoever with aromantics posting here, it's just the sarcasm and passive-aggressive posts)

taking over this thread with sarcastic/passive-aggressive posts

You called us psychopaths in your first post. The choices were to be sarcastic or pounce on you. We chose the less hurtful option.

You called us psychopaths in your first post. The choices were to be sarcastic or pounce on you. We chose the less hurtful option.

I didn't. Read it again.

Just now, sindi said:

Won in the sense of completely taking over this thread with sarcastic/passive-aggressive posts. (Note that I have no problem whatsoever with aromantics posting here, it's just the sarcasm and passive-aggressive posts)

Yeah, I think we need a thread like this for the sake of balance, we already have one for romantics, sexuals, or asexuals after all. I thought that people would take this with a little more humour like they did for the asexual thread.  

2 minutes ago, m4rble said:

I thought that people would take this with a little more humour like they did for the asexual thread.  

Me too. I guess I should have written the first post differently, if some people indeed interpret it as me calling aromantics psychopaths, which DEFINITELY was not my intention.

On 1/20/2017 at 0:18 AM, sindi said:

Well, if romantics can say a thread's worth of annoying things, I'm sure aromantics can as well? :D

Let's see...

"I have zero idea what love could possibly be, human attachment is an utterly alien concept to me! Eww how irrational it is!" (if you really feel that way, fair enough, you psychopath, but most people saying that probably still have platonic love towards their families or friends)

Okay, I can see why someone would be a bit upset about this. I've never actually seen an aromantic post something like this and I think it's far more common for them to complain about people stereotyping them like this. 

On 20/01/2017 at 7:18 AM, sindi said:

Well, if romantics can say a thread's worth of annoying things, I'm sure aromantics can as well? :D

Let's see...

"I have zero idea what love could possibly be, human attachment is an utterly alien concept to me! Eww how irrational it is!" (if you really feel that way, fair enough, you psychopath, but most people saying that probably still have platonic love towards their families or friends)

2 minutes ago, sindi said:

I didn't. Read it again.

I did. To me, the above reads as

"quote from an aro" (Your assessment of the quote).

The way it read to me was that you generalised aros as people who don't understand romantic love, then called that same "person" a psychopath. Also, you could have avoided the issue all together by simply removing the reference to being a psychopath, so that the comment reads:

"I have zero idea what love could possibly be, human attachment is an utterly alien concept to me! Eww how irrational it is!" (if you feel that way, fair enough, but most people saying that probably still have platonic love towards their families or friends)

Just now, m4rble said:

Okay, I can see why someone would be a bit upset about this. I've never actually seen an aromantic post something like this and I think it's far more common for them to complain about people stereotyping them like this. 

I was trying to make an exaggerated version of what I see sometimes, which is aromantics (probably) overplaying how foreign any kind of love seems to them, but I guess it was a bad idea, and I might be wrong about some people overstating it anyway.

And that part about "you psychopath" was definitely not aimed at aromantics, but to people who would genuinely not understand any kind of attachment.

Ok as an aro, I gotta join in.

"Oh when I was young and stupid and dated"

"Man look at all this money I saved by not dating!"

"How have you spent all your money already?"

"MONEYMONEYMMONEY MOOONNEEEYY.... MONEY" (Ok we don't say that. We sing it).

Sure that's stuff that us aros will say more whoch would annoy anyone!

Bonus thing that I as an aro that annoys myself as am aro. Normally it would be during a conversation where romantics (whp don't know I'm acearo) say something that their partner are doing something similar like going on a worknight out on the same night.

"Well I wish I could say the same, but not only do I not have a wife, I don't even have a girlfriend"

Leads to conversation of how to get a date. Every damn time!

oh, and I definitely didn't mean to call "the same person" a psychopath, but the opposite - trying to show, that aromantics are not psychopaths.

I guess my logic was to be inclusive even of psychopaths - to not "erase" their life experience as something silly and impossible, if you get what I mean?

well, I removed the original example completely. Hopefully people can feel even slightly less offended now.

13 hours ago, m4rble said:

I thought that people would take this with a little more humour like they did for the asexual thread.  

>.> *noms popcorn* I'm laughing (especially at the "MONEYMONEYMONEY")... 

22 hours ago, Scott1989 said:

"MONEYMONEYMMONEY MOOONNEEEYY.... MONEY" (Ok we don't say that. We sing it).

OK:

"Money, Money, Money"

ABBA

I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad
In my dreams I have a plan
If I got me a wealthy man
I wouldn't have to work at all, I'd fool around and have a ball

Money, money, money
Must be funny