Annoying things that aromantics say

sindi

I don't think the posts like "I don't want romance" were passive aggressive tbh my romantic friend probably gets very tired of hearing me say that :P

Another thing I think she probably finds annoying  is when she is talking about trying to find someone and I say

"I really don't understand why you have to find someone."

aussiekirkland

"Romantic attraction makes some people irrational and stupid, and they forget how to take care of themselves." - Me (mostly about my sister)

"Romance culture is toxic and restrictive." - also me

Wow I'm such an annoying aromantic haha

Hermit Advocate
7 hours ago, aussiekirkland said:

"Romantic attraction makes some people irrational and stupid, and they forget how to take care of themselves." - Me (mostly about my sister)

"Romance culture is toxic and restrictive." - also me

Wow I'm such an annoying aromantic haha

And yet you're so accurate about how messed up society is. I blame Disney.

Are you serious? It's usually romantics that say annoying things to aromantics. Not the other way around! Aromantics are a minority and romantics are a majority. So how often do you hear aromantics saying "annoying" things? If you get annoyed by an aromantic talking about their feelings such as "I don't want love" then you have some serious issues. No offense... You obviously wanted to start shit by writing a thread like this. 

I never said anything "annoying" to people unless they say something annoying to me first. 

7 minutes ago, Lemonasculine said:

Are you serious? It's usually romantics that say annoying things to aromantics. Not the other way around! If you get annoyed by an aromantic talking about their feelings then you have some serious issues. No offense... You obviously wanted to start shit by writing a thread like this. 

Are you serious? Can't you see how hypocritical you're being? And you think a "no offense" somehow fixes this?

8 minutes ago, Lemonasculine said:

Are you serious? It's usually romantics that say annoying things to aromantics. Not the other way around! If you get annoyed by an aromantic talking about their feelings then you have some serious issues. No offense... You obviously wanted to start shit by writing a thread like this. 

Dude, chill your lemons. If you have a problem with it then report it. If AVEN had a problem with this thread then they would have done something about it by now. The discussion has already been had. 

9 minutes ago, Lemonasculine said:

Personally I think aro's can be quite annoying sometimes :P also I know that I annoy my friend who is romantic all the time :P

On a more serious note 

Let's stay calm please :) 

3 hours ago, Lemonasculine said:

Are you serious? It's usually romantics that say annoying things to aromantics. Not the other way around! Aromantics are a minority and romantics are a majority. So how often do you hear aromantics saying "annoying" things? If you get annoyed by an aromantic talking about their feelings such as "I don't want love" then you have some serious issues. No offense... You obviously wanted to start shit by writing a thread like this. 

I never said anything "annoying" to people unless they say something annoying to me first. 

Aros say annoying stuff all the time. Just because Someone is part of a minority group doesn't mean that the things they say are by default not annoying.

aussiekirkland

This thread is petty and personally I think the people punching down instead of punching up are being mean spirited :P

And if expressing my opinions makes me annoying then so be it :P:P:P

On 1/20/2017 at 11:37 AM, GloomyGhost said:

"Who says we don't experience love!"

Yes, I get it, the word "love" is also used for platonic love, but most of the time when people say it they mean romantic love and when they say it specifically in the context of dating,

Then they're using the word wrong. :P

2 hours ago, ohdearIzzy said:

Aros say annoying stuff all the time. Just because Someone is part of a minority group doesn't mean that the things they say are by default not annoying.

And that's not what I meant. Everyone says annoying things once in a while :lol:. It's homophobic if a straight person says "gay people say annoying things" because it's bringing down gay people when they are already being oppressed in society...

Aromantic doesn't mean anti-romantic. I'm not anti-romantic but the most anti-romantic things I heard was coming out of romantic people (I'm just speaking from experience). For example, the statements "love clouds people's judgment" "focus on school, not love" or "I don't care about valentine's day" "has came from people who are romantic... So everything that was mentioned here could also come out of someone who is romantic.

5 hours ago, aussiekirkland said:

This thread is petty and personally I think the people punching down instead of punching up are being mean spirited :P

And if expressing my opinions makes me annoying then so be it :P:P:P

Why do you think that this thread is punching anyone? Don't you think that's an over-reaction? If aromantics can list annoying things that romantics say all in good fun, why does it suddenly become "punchy" and petty when done the other way around?

Also, "And if expressing my opinions makes me annoying then so be it" could apply to a romantic person just as well.

4 hours ago, Lemonasculine said:

It's homophobic if a straight person says "gay people say annoying things" because it's bringing down gay people when they are already being oppressed in society...

Are you saying, that first of all aromantics are oppressed in society? And secondly, any kind of romantics are not? I hardly agree with that. Heterosexual romantics certainly are not oppressed, but other types of romantics, especially if they're asexual on top of it, are just as "oppressed" as aromantics. In a lot of cases, I think people are more accepting of an aromantic person, than a homoromantic one, for instance! And what comes to the potential partners, all asexual romantics are at a big disadvantage, while aromantics don't even need to worry about partners in the first place.

There are many threads like this one on AVEN for annoying things that different types of people say. Petty or not, they exist and no one else is making a fuss, no one has locked them yet. Again, if you have a problem then report it. 

aussiekirkland
2 hours ago, sindi said:

Why do you think that this thread is punching anyone? Don't you think that's an over-reaction? If aromantics can list annoying things that romantics say all in good fun, why does it suddenly become "punchy" and petty when done the other way around?

Also, "And if expressing my opinions makes me annoying then so be it" could apply to a romantic person just as well.

I was using the phrase "punch up not down" in reference to making fun of majorities, not minorities. It had nothing to do with punching.

7 minutes ago, aussiekirkland said:

I was using the phrase "punch up not down" in reference to making fun of majorities, not minorities. It had nothing to do with punching.

I'm not even sure that romantics are a majority among asexuals. Sure doesn't often feel that way on AVEN. And do you think that minorities should never ever be made fun of in any way (I don't even think that this thread was making fun of them, but whatever)?

Let's get back to the topic of the thread if you have any issues with any thread rather than bringing it into a thread please just report it.

Randomchaos

My catchphrase whenever friends start talking about their love problems is "I'm too asexual for this". I'm sure it's annoyed at least one of them by now.

22 minutes ago, ohdearIzzy said:

Is this supposed to be saying that we are oppressed in society, or that we aren't? Hard to tell since the information in the thread is historic, not relevant to current society.

Sorry, should have added a comment. It's historical ways in which people not wanting romantic relationships (e.g. aromantics) have been oppressed, yes. Some societies still oppress in these ways/similar ways. I am lucky in my country that I am not oppressed. That does not mean we all are so lucky.

4 minutes ago, Baam said:

Sorry, should have added a comment. It's historical ways in which people not wanting romantic relationships (e.g. aromantics) have been oppressed, yes. Some societies still oppress in these ways/similar ways. I am lucky in my country that I am not oppressed. That does not mean we all are so lucky.

Will the derailment of this thread never end?

4 minutes ago, sindi said:

Will the derailment of this thread never end?

Sorry for replying to your enquiry. : )

Back on topic, then.
"I've never had a crush before." Damn aromantics and their excuses for not being able to get dates!

11 minutes ago, Baam said:

Sorry for replying to your enquiry. : )

Back on topic, then.
"I've never had a crush before." Damn aromantics and their excuses for not being able to get dates!

Well, I only made that "inquiry" as a reply to a post, that was making the point, that this thread shouldn't exist... which the mods already addressed. So it was you who brought this back on the table again. Also, the "boohoo, we aromantics could never ever annoy anyone, let me say a 100% non-annoying thing to showcase how we're poor, innocent victims" -shtick is getting old.

3 minutes ago, sindi said:

Well, I only made that "inquiry" as a reply to a post, that was making the point, that this thread shouldn't exist... which the mods already addressed. So it was you who brought this back on the table again. Also, the "boohoo, we aromantics could never ever annoy anyone, let me say a 100% non-annoying thing to showcase how we're poor, innocent victims" -shtick is getting old.

"I don't ever want to marry." Damn aromantic people making up orientations. I said that when I was their age, and I changed my mind.

4 minutes ago, Baam said:

"I don't ever want to marry." Damn aromantic people making up orientations. I said that when I was their age, and I changed my mind.

Come on now. I don't want to marry either, it has nothing to do with orientation. And you already left your compulsory (apparently) passive-aggressive "annoying thing" - do you really have to leave two of them?

Archived