birth control and transmasculine folks

AVEN #1 fan

Any transmasculine already tried long term birth control to stop their periods forever? Was there any feminizing consequences or risks?

I'm not trans but there's oestrogen in birth control pills (depending on if it contains both oestrogen and progestin). 

Hormonal birth control feminises. It is used to reduce acne and body hair in women, which is a result of high androgen levels.

I have an IUD. Reduces periods without annoying feminization like the pill has.

Might end up having to go down the birth control way to deal with Endometriosis in the near future, so if I manage to find anything, I guess I'll let you know?
Although if anyone else has knowledge about this I'd love to hear it. I'm really nervous about becoming more feminine if I have to start birth control~

27 minutes ago, SleepyFox said:

Might end up having to go down the birth control way to deal with Endometriosis in the near future, so if I manage to find anything, I guess I'll let you know?
Although if anyone else has knowledge about this I'd love to hear it. I'm really nervous about becoming more feminine if I have to start birth control~

Disclaimer: This was just MY experience with pills. I don't want to scare you, I'm certainly no doctor, and my experience is probably in the minority, but I feel it's worth mentioning.

No pills worked for me whatsoever. Sure they delayed it, but the pain and quantity of fluids did not reduce in the slightest. In fact, clotting got worse and the emotional cycles coupled with my dysphoria to make everything generally worse. Taking a pill once a day was a constant reminder of this wrongness of my body. After over a year of unsuccessful medication and about 5 different pills, I found a COMPETENT GYN who respected my identity and gave me an IUD. There's still bleeding, but there is no pain. None. Beforehand I was experiencing cramps on par with a late first trimester miscarriage, and now there are ZERO. It has been less than a year and sometimes it takes up to two for the bleeding to fully stop, but my life has improved beyond what I can express in words.

Random Happenstance

i use the depo provera personally. i see a lot of people saying that hormonal contraception feminises people here, but i haven't noticed at all. i do know a side effect is weight gain, which might causae issues, but it's not something i've noticed either tbh (i think it just stimulates appetite?). honestly, my estrogen levels are gonna be doing the most of that, and they've already done a huge amount of damage, there's not much more to do. i do look forward to starting t and using that instead though, it would be more ideal (and a later hysterectomy, provided it's safe).

anyway, i've been on the injection for about 5 years, and since starting only had one light period about six months in. so it's definitely worth it. along with the fact there's no daily reminder in the form of tablet taking, just an injection every 12 weeks which isn't made awkward at all, i find it the most convenient method.

3 hours ago, Random Happenstance said:

i use the depo provera personally. i see a lot of people saying that hormonal contraception feminises people here, but i haven't noticed at all. i do know a side effect is weight gain, which might causae issues, but it's not something i've noticed either tbh (i think it just stimulates appetite?). honestly, my estrogen levels are gonna be doing the most of that, and they've already done a huge amount of damage, there's not much more to do. i do look forward to starting t and using that instead though, it would be more ideal (and a later hysterectomy, provided it's safe).

anyway, i've been on the injection for about 5 years, and since starting only had one light period about six months in. so it's definitely worth it. along with the fact there's no daily reminder in the form of tablet taking, just an injection every 12 weeks which isn't made awkward at all, i find it the most convenient method.

Depo Provera is a progestin, it doesn't have oestrogen  (what feminizes a human), however some people argue if it prevent or increase the chances of having cancer. I already heard stories of people getting prolonged bleeding and anemic bc of it.

I'm probably be taking depo for the rest of my life for my endo-trans needs. Any advices?

Random Happenstance
1 hour ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Depo Provera is a progestin, it doesn't have oestrogen  (what feminizes a human), however some people argue if it prevent or increase the chances of having cancer. I already heard stories of people getting prolonged bleeding and anemic bc of it.

I'm probably be taking depo for the rest of my life for my endo-trans needs. Any advices?

yeah, i know, i was really referring to the estrogen my body decides to make despite my wishes hehe. if you google it some people do say it (progestin) feminises somewhat, but if it does it's so minimal compared to what my body does on it's own it ain't noticeable. idk. interestingly i just looked it up and the depo apparently lowers estrogen levels? that's somewhat comforting actually.

none of my doctors have had concerns about cancer at least, as long as i've been using it. they do check my blood pressure every year or something when i have it, and ask if i've had any issues, sometimes specifically about weight gain, since last time. i've also heard it can increase the risk of osteoporosis, but i've had a bone density scan and, while it was on the low end of normal, that was all explainable by having been quite deficient in vit d (which i now supplement) so they had no concerns about that. apparently if you stop the depo and bone density issues do correct quickly, but it may be worth supplementing d and calcium/getting a lot naturally if you use it. even if i never have an alternative (testosterone/hysteresctomy) due to gatekeeping, at this point i'd not have any concerns about remaining on the shot indefinitely personally.

obviously, individual experience may vary, and some people might react unfavourably to it - i know it doesn't entirely stop periods in 100% of cases (more like 60% i think). i would think if you were to get prolonged bleeding as a result, then that could be addressed with a dr and the shot stopped and an alternative sought. idk much about stopping and anything associated with that though, i think i went through it with my doctor when first prescribed, but don't remember now.

oh, and one more thing i thought i'd mention is something i've thought about seriously for stopping periods permenantly, is something called endometrial ablation. though that's only suitable if you'd not have any intent of having kids (and doesn't always 100% stop periods).

it's unpleasant sounding, but is a one off thing and not serious surgery like a hysterectomy, with less risks. i couldn't have it without anaesthsia personally though, and i don't know how willing doctors are to do it either, since it does stop you being able to have kids (and ik they can be funny with that). but yeah, thought i'd mention that option, since it wouldn't have all the question marks around side effects really that chemical options might.

2 minutes ago, Random Happenstance said:

yeah, i know, i was really referring to the estrogen my body decides to make despite my wishes hehe. if you google it some people do say it (progestin) feminises somewhat, but if it does it's so minimal compared to what my body does on it's own it ain't noticeable. idk. interestingly i just looked it up and the depo apparently lowers estrogen levels? that's somewhat comforting actually.

none of my doctors have had concerns about cancer at least, as long as i've been using it. they do check my blood pressure every year or something when i have it, and ask if i've had any issues, sometimes specifically about weight gain, since last time. i've also heard it can increase the risk of osteoporosis, but i've had a bone density scan and, while it was on the low end of normal, that was all explainable by having been quite deficient in vit d (which i now supplement) so they had no concerns about that. apparently if you stop the depo and bone density issues do correct quickly, but it may be worth supplementing d and calcium/getting a lot naturally if you use it. even if i never have an alternative (testosterone/hysteresctomy) due to gatekeeping, at this point i'd not have any concerns about remaining on the shot indefinitely personally.

obviously, individual experience may vary, and some people might react unfavourably to it - i know it doesn't entirely stop periods in 100% of cases (more like 60% i think). i would think if you were to get prolonged bleeding as a result, then that could be addressed with a dr and the shot stopped and an alternative sought. idk much about stopping and anything associated with that though, i think i went through it with my doctor when first prescribed, but don't remember now.

oh, and one more thing i thought i'd mention is something i've thought about seriously for stopping periods permenantly, is something called endometrial ablation. though that's only suitable if you'd not have any intent of having kids (and doesn't always 100% stop periods).

it's unpleasant sounding, but is a one off thing and not serious surgery like a hysterectomy, with less risks. i couldn't have it without anaesthsia personally though, and i don't know how willing doctors are to do it either, since it does stop you being able to have kids (and ik they can be funny with that). but yeah, thought i'd mention that option, since it wouldn't have all the question marks around side effects really that chemical options might.

http://jezebel.com/5899669/depo-provera-found-to-double-risk-of-breast-cancer-but-dont-flip-out-just-yet

This is kinda scary specially for menopausal women, transmasculine and transfeminine folks. I think progestin pills are safer than injections?

Anyway, what do you guys think, it's better to have an endometrial ablation, use progestin  drugs or have an IUD?  which is more likely to end periods forever and without horrible consequences like cancer or feminilization?

@AVEN #1 fan 

IUD:

-Lasts 5 years

-No feminization

-Nothing about cancer

Make sure it's not the copper one though. 

Just now, ChillaKilla said:

@AVEN #1 fan 

IUD:

-Lasts 5 years

-No feminization

-Nothing about cancer

I have a friend who told me her mom had a dangerous pregnancy even after having an IUD on her. I wonder what happen if it's not removed after 5 years, is any infection risk factor?

Oh, her mom and the baby survived though.

Random Happenstance
7 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

http://jezebel.com/5899669/depo-provera-found-to-double-risk-of-breast-cancer-but-dont-flip-out-just-yet

This is kinda scary specially for menopausal women, transmasculine and transfeminine folks. I think progestin pills are safer than injections?

Anyway, what do you guys think, it's better to have an endometrial ablation, use progestin  drugs or have an IUD?  which is more likely to end periods forever and without horrible consequences like cancer or feminilization?

idk, it didn't read like that to me - just that estrogen pills are safer as far as i can tell? however, it sounds like there are studies that have different results, so the accuracy of that conclusion isn't certain. http://www.cancer.org/latest-news/birth-control-cancer-which-methods-raise-lower-risk.html this seems to suggest breast cancer risk is increased, but the risk for ovarian, endometrial, and possibly colon cancer are reduced. and this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12343459 suggests the risk increase is only slight, compared to the artice you linked. it's also listed as a treatment for post-menopausal breast cancer here, confusingly http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/treatment/cancer-drugs/medroxyprogesterone  and then here suggests there is no increased risk, with a linked study https://www.bedsider.org/features/325-does-birth-control-cause-breast-cancer

interestingly, both of the uk websites i've found talking about provera and cancer, are talking about it's use as treatment more than anything else, but those do seem to be tablet form though so maybe you're right about that. honestly, it's interesting to look into as i hadn't heard of this (cancer risk) before, and it's kinda incredible how much opinions/studies seem to vary on the topic. this website seems interesting and lays out the risk issues in terms of number of people per 10,000 in a table here, andit doesn't especially concern me  https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/11121

i'd probably weigh in more on the endometrial ablation side personally (as opposed to the depo only), as you aren't messing with your body with chemicals. my main reason for not persuing it myself yet is the general freak-me-out-ishness of doctors doing anything down there. i love the depo, and have had no issues or concerns, but ablation would appear of least concern imo. though the chance of stopping periods altogether may be just under 50%

idk much about non-hormonal iuds, and what their chances are of stopping periods altogether are - i always though they just made things lighter (though i don't think they affected periods at all for my mum - she still gets anemic from them).

36 minutes ago, Random Happenstance said:

idk, it didn't read like that to me - just that estrogen pills are safer as far as i can tell? however, it sounds like there are studies that have different results, so the accuracy of that conclusion isn't certain. http://www.cancer.org/latest-news/birth-control-cancer-which-methods-raise-lower-risk.html this seems to suggest breast cancer risk is increased, but the risk for ovarian, endometrial, and possibly colon cancer are reduced. and this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12343459 suggests the risk increase is only slight, compared to the artice you linked. it's also listed as a treatment for post-menopausal breast cancer here, confusingly http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/treatment/cancer-drugs/medroxyprogesterone  and then here suggests there is no increased risk, with a linked study https://www.bedsider.org/features/325-does-birth-control-cause-breast-cancer

interestingly, both of the uk websites i've found talking about provera and cancer, are talking about it's use as treatment more than anything else, but those do seem to be tablet form though so maybe you're right about that. honestly, it's interesting to look into as i hadn't heard of this (cancer risk) before, and it's kinda incredible how much opinions/studies seem to vary on the topic. this website seems interesting and lays out the risk issues in terms of number of people per 10,000 in a table here, andit doesn't especially concern me  https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/11121

i'd probably weigh in more on the endometrial ablation side personally (as opposed to the depo only), as you aren't messing with your body with chemicals. my main reason for not persuing it myself yet is the general freak-me-out-ishness of doctors doing anything down there. i love the depo, and have had no issues or concerns, but ablation would appear of least concern imo. though the chance of stopping periods altogether may be just under 50%

idk much about non-hormonal iuds, and what their chances are of stopping periods altogether are - i always though they just made things lighter (though i don't think they affected periods at all for my mum - she still gets anemic from them).

Wow... medicine doesn't know anything about hormones, that's great.

55 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Wow... medicine doesn't know anything about hormones, that's great.

Welcome to the world of true science. Anything you measure or examine ends up ambiguous and not clearly cut at all

29 minutes ago, Emery. said:

Welcome to the world of true science. Anything you measure or examine ends up ambiguous and not clearly cut at all

Seriously, I lost my faith in medicine.

7 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

@AVEN #1 fan 

IUD:

-Lasts 5 years

-No feminization

-Nothing about cancer

Do you experience cramps, bleeding or any pain from your IUD? 

18 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Do you experience cramps, bleeding or any pain from your IUD? 

Cramps are completely gone. Still bleed, but that can take a year or two to taper off and I've had it for 7 months. No pain either- it was inserted properly and hasn't moved (I'd probably notice if it did)

On 1/20/2017 at 2:10 PM, AVEN #1 fan said:

Progestin isn't safe for everyone.. 2 days on progestin based birth control and I nearly bled to death. Led to horrendous anemic episode where half my hair fell out 6 months later (hair has never fully grown back 7 years later- it killed my hair follicles).

On 01/21/2017 at 1:18 AM, ChillaKilla said:

Cramps are completely gone. Still bleed, but that can take a year or two to taper off and I've had it for 7 months. No pain either- it was inserted properly and hasn't moved (I'd probably notice if it did)

Done some research on it and heard stories of IUDs breaking inside womb and stories about cramps, pain and blood after exercising/weight lifting, how common is that?

17 minutes ago, Chardog said:

Progestin isn't safe for everyone.. 2 days on progestin based birth control and I nearly bled to death. Led to horrendous anemic episode where half my hair fell out 6 months later (hair has never fully grown back 7 years later- it killed my hair follicles).

That's scary, I think I already heard stories like that from people who had testosterone shots.

Interestingly I heard about other side effects, I heard about ciswomen who gained lots of weight in a short period of time.

I am curious About how common Are the side effects among people? did you get monthly or trimestral shots?  or did you take pills?

I also see MtF girls using depo shots in their HRTs, I haven't seen much complain, maybe bc they're biologically male?

Anyway,  is it safe to go on T, get off T, and take progestins?

What happened to you was horrible, are you bald? 

Seriously, the more I research, the more I understand that medicines fails, and fails a lot. I think I'm getting paranoid on whether or not believing in doctors.

1 minute ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Seriously, the more I research, the more I understand that medicines fails, and fails a lot. I think I'm getting paranoid on whether or not believing in doctors.

If you're looking for scary stuff, you're gonna find scary stuff. Also check the credentials of your sources.

I HAVE heard of stuff happening with IUDs, but it's so rare that I don't spook myself into forgoing a potentially life improving treatment based on astronomical odds. Like I said, you want fear you'll get it. And if something happens then oh well. Couldn't have known. 

Just now, ChillaKilla said:

If you're looking for scary stuff, you're gonna find scary stuff. Also check the credentials of your sources.

I HAVE heard of stuff happening with IUDs, but it's so rare that I don't spook myself into forgoing a potentially life improving treatment based on astronomical odds. Like I said, you want fear you'll get it. And if something happens then oh well. Couldn't have known. 

Yeah, let's shot in the dark. anything could kill us anyway, fragile human beings. '_'

And I forgot to mention about endometrial ablation, I heard that the blood that goes down to the uterus get stuck there and cause severe pain in about 10% of the people who had their endometriums destroyed,(the only treatment for that is an hysterectomy if im not wrong), and in many cases periods still continue, so it was literally a waste to do the procedure at first place.

Ablations only last a few months anyway

8 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

I thought the procedure was permanent. O.o

Random Happenstance
17 hours ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Done some research on it and heard stories of IUDs breaking inside womb and stories about cramps, pain and blood after exercising/weight lifting, how common is that?

That's scary, I think I already heard stories like that from people who had testosterone shots.

Interestingly I heard about other side effects, I heard about ciswomen who gained lots of weight in a short period of time.

I am curious About how common Are the side effects among people? did you get monthly or trimestral shots?  or did you take pills?

I also see MtF girls using depo shots in their HRTs, I haven't seen much complain, maybe bc they're biologically male?

Anyway,  is it safe to go on T, get off T, and take progestins?

What happened to you was horrible, are you bald? 

it is safe to take t with progestins - i looked in it shortly after commenting here before since i realised i wasn't sure. no comments of issues with it, apparently some people take progestins first to lower estrogen levels in preparation for t - so it may even be beneficial. also one person saying how they continued them while on t in case they get spotting at some point. i don't think it'd lower estrogen in trans women though, since it's about how it tells your body to change the production, and the estrogen is from tablets/injections in trans women. so maybe that's the difference?

idk how common side effects are - even on the article about breast cancer risk many people were commenting about a great side-effect free experience, but other things are exclusively bad, and some say no-one has a good time with depo provera (obviously not true). it seems to be a mix, and i wonder if it's a better idea to start on lower dose tablets (that would wear off quicker) to test your reaction before moving to shots?

17 hours ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

i know the feeling. i have to deal with doctors a lot cause of various healthy problems, and for the most part they are useless. but if they understood everything about health, cancer would be cured already. they're a helpful tool at times though. if you're feeling a bit lost with health things though, my favourite way to deal with that is to look into how something works/happens, which can make you feel more comfy with your understanding and judgement. rather than relying on other peoples conclusions/simplifications.

17 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

really? i heard about periods potentially returning after a few years, but not as little as a month? could it be based on the method used?

On 2017-01-20 at 11:02 AM, Random Happenstance said:

I'm still catching up, but I thought it worth popping in to say that endometrial ablation is not in fact permanent. You have to go back in and have it done on a somewhat regular basis, though I don't know how often. Maybe every six months, maybe every so many years? Edit: Chilla got here before me :P

All I know is that I asked for that when I was advised against a hysterectomy (due to the risk of early onset menopause), and was told it wasn't a feasible solution, and that it likely wouldn't stop my period pains anyways.

2 hours ago, Heart said:

and that it likely wouldn't stop my period pains anyways.

Seriosly? Did they tell you why if it's not a too private question? Period is uterus cramps, at least that's what people say. So logically...

It's not too private, but I'm afraid they don't really know. I mean, I've heard people say anything from cramps being about uterus contractions, to passing "blood clots", to uterus tissue growing outside of the uterus, and other things... I really don't know which one if any apply to me, and I'm under the impression that neither do the doctors. I've been to multiple doctors for over a decade (not intentionally, I just move a lot), and one gynaecologist, and none of them have an answer as to why my periods are so bad. My current doctor was the one who finally referred me to a gynaecologist, and when I asked him he just said that endometrial ablation doesn't tend to actually solve the problem. He advised against it because it's a somewhat invasive procedure, and it wasn't likely to help, but didn't elaborate. He also advised against a hysterectomy, because while the odds are high that removing the uterus would stop the cramping, it would also cause other health problems associated with early menopause (even if we leave in the ovaries, apparently the body cuts off blood flow to the ovaries and they shrivel into post-menopause state anyways if there's no uterus). Also, I was surprised that he used the phrase that "the odds are good", and not for sure stopping the pain if I remove my uterus... I don't know what's going on there either. Maybe it's pain that happens while I'm on my period and is in the abdomen area, but there's a small chance it may not be in the uterus itself? *shrug*

I know someone who has been diagnosed with endometriosis, who has regular endometrial ablations every two years. Apparently it helps a little, but only for the first six months, and then she has to wait on a wait list for a year and a half with debilitating pain before being able to have it done again. So maybe it helps some people and just not me, or maybe my gynaecologist was referring more to the temporary nature and impracticality of getting it done regularly enough, and so wanted to find a more permanent and practical solution?

I guess the short answer is I don't know. And the more I visit doctors, the more pain medications they give me and the more I'm under the impression that they don't know what's happening either :(  YMMV, everyone should talk to their own doctors about their own specific problems, this is just my story.

butterflydreams

*hugs* for @Heart. That sounds terrible. I'd take it off your hands for you in a heartbeat if I could.

Archived