[trigger] falling through the cracks

chair jockey

In 1987, the body of a young woman was found at the base of a cliff in Dana Point, California. Numerous pre-death injuries suggested that she had fallen down the non-vertical cliff, striking rocks all the way down, but a snow angel in the sand around her body suggested that she had briefly survived the fall. The body was fully clothed and showed no signs of sexual assault. Her nearby purse contained an assortment of items and a few coins but no other cash. Her clothes were secondhand, suggesting poverty. The purse bore the name of a different woman who was much older and still alive, and who told police that that specific purse had been stolen in 1975 by an unknown thief. The deceased could not be identified at the scene.

Investigation revealed that the deceased had phoned a taxi company at 4 am and asked to be picked up from a hotel in Mission Viejo, California, where the staff didn't recognize her and had no record of her staying. A driver told police he picked her up, and she told him her car had broken down, but no disabled vehicles were found in the area. She appeared to be going to Laguna Beach, California, but told the driver she had only $18 and asked him to take her as far as the money would go. The money ran out at Dana Point, and she paid and got out. The driver observed her walking towards the cliffs as he drove away. He had no idea as to her identity, and she does not appear to have been seen by anyone else.

Investigators nicknamed her Dana Point Jane Doe because they couldn't figure out who she was. Her death was ruled a suicide, and there was no reason to suspect a criminal offense, so, from a police perspective, things ended there. Efforts were made to identify her so that her next of kin could be contacted, but those efforts failed, so her remains were eventually cremated and her ashes scattered at sea.

In 2011, some childhood friends of a woman named Holly Glynn, of Whittier, California, reported to the National Missing Persons System and the Doe Network that they could find no trace of Glynn. In 2015, the Dana Point Jane Doe was officially identified as Holly Glynn. It appears that Glynn had been estranged from her family for a long time before her death, and the family still refuses all contact attempts about Glynn. With no reason to suspect a criminal offense, the police's hands are tied, but there is still a lot of missing information and a huge mystery.

I think the title of this post should be pretty obvious by now.

It started with a list of previously unidentified decedents who had been identified years or decades later, and then I just googled her name and read the first few pages of search listings. Some of what I read is really stupid crap, but some of it looks like good information. This case is the most striking of the ones I've read about because the facts are so few and there are no grounds for the police to investigate further.

Archived