Jughead isn't asexual 😤

Guest And Peggy

5 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

CW? *is out of the loop*

TV Network. They have a show based off the comic strip Archie, and Jughead (Archie's best friend) is canonically ace. The show adaptation, despite protests from consumers AND Jughead's own actor, refused to write him that way :mad:

2 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

TV Network. They have a show based off the comic strip Archie, and Jughead (Archie's best friend) is canonically ace. The show adaptation, despite protests from consumers AND Jughead's own actor, refused to write him that way :mad:

Ah. That's shitty... I don't see why making him ace would be a downside to the show.

TV shows are just a way to get people to watch commercials. They are pure marketing that happens to use the feeling of being entertained as a hook. Most people on earth are hooked by romance and sex, so all TV shows must include romance and sex in order to hook them. I can see why people are upset, but businesses will never manufacture a widget that only a small fraction of the market wants to buy.

Well shit. I might actually have been interested in checking it out.

>.>

<.<

(I always hated Archie comics)

9 hours ago, nought said:

TV shows are just a way to get people to watch commercials. They are pure marketing that happens to use the feeling of being entertained as a hook. Most people on earth are hooked by romance and sex, so all TV shows must include romance and sex in order to hook them. I can see why people are upset, but businesses will never manufacture a widget that only a small fraction of the market wants to buy.

dude, there are like 5875687 teens in that comic, they already have all the romance and sex they could want to write. having one (1) aroace character is not going to ruing marketing in any way. 

That's CW for you.The majority of their shows (with few expeptions) are filled with romance and the occasional sex scene.Because sex and romance sell.

I only watch Supernatural and that's because there is no romance in there and the sex scenes are very rare.

Not to mention that the shows I used to watch were ruined because of the romance.One example is Arrow or even Legends of Tomorrow.

But yea it sucks that Jughead is not ace in the show,because if it was done well that would be a good way to represent asexuality.

Maybe the producers of the show are afraid of making him ace because they might think that they're gonna confuse their audience.

40 minutes ago, Adam_Jensen said:

That's CW for you.The majority of their shows (with few expeptions) are filled with romance and the occasional sex scene.Because sex and romance sell.

I only watch Supernatural and that's because there is no romance in there and the sex scenes are very rare.

Not to mention that the shows I used to watch were ruined because of the romance.One example is Arrow or even Legends of Tomorrow.

But yea it sucks that Jughead is not ace in the show,because if it was done well that would be a good way to represent asexuality.

Maybe the producers of the show are afraid of making him ace because they might think that they're gonna confuse their audience.

Romance doesn't ruin a show nor does it sell it. That's a strong but braised opinion based on your preferences. What romance, sex and even violence does is portray life (sometimes in realistic settings, sometimes in a fantasy setting). People watch tv as a form of watching dramatic portrayals of life. I'm not in to shooting guns or killing people but I enjoyed terminator 2 for what it is. An action movie. 

17 minutes ago, James121 said:

Romance doesn't ruin a show nor does it sell it. That's a strong but braised opinion based on your preferences. What romance, sex and even violence does is portray life (sometimes in realistic settings, sometimes in a fantasy setting). People watch tv as a form of watching dramatic portrayals of life. I'm not in to shooting guns or killing people but I enjoyed terminator 2 for what it is. An action movie. 

Apperantly you haven't watched Arrow,which was at first a crime fighting drama and later turned into a soap opera.Romance does ruin a show if it's not handled properly.I'm not against romantic relationships being on shows or movies as long as they are handled properly and don't overshadow everything else.A show can be ruined if the creators start pandering the fandom by making shipping canon.

9 minutes ago, Adam_Jensen said:

Apperantly you haven't watched Arrow,which was at first a crime fighting drama and later turned into a soap opera.Romance does ruin a show if it's not handled properly.I'm not against romantic relationships being on shows or movies as long as they are handled properly and don't overshadow everything else.A show can be ruined if the creators start pandering the fandom by making shipping canon.

So it's not the romance that ruined it then it's poor script writing and direction from the producers. For example, if at first Arrow was a crime fighting drama but then turned in to a show that concentrated and dramatised the art of making jelly puddings then I guess you would also have been somewhat dismayed? Don't confuse the annoyance with regards to the direction of a tv show with the identification that a romance script ruined it. 

28 minutes ago, James121 said:

So it's not the romance that ruined it then it's poor script writing and direction from the producers. For example, if at first Arrow was a crime fighting drama but then turned in to a show that concentrated and dramatised the art of making jelly puddings then I guess you would also have been somewhat dismayed? Don't confuse the annoyance with regards to the direction of a tv show with the identification that a romance script ruined it. 

You're not wrong,poor direction can hurt a show.But in the end it all comes down to preference and I'm not a fan of romance overall so that's that.

3 minutes ago, Adam_Jensen said:

You're not wrong,poor direction can hurt a show.But in the end it all comes down to preference and I'm not a fan of romance overall so that's that.

That's cool. My only point was that romance didn't destroy the show. It destroyed it for you because you prefer a different subject matter. 

8 hours ago, loomborn said:

dude, there are like 5875687 teens in that comic, they already have all the romance and sex they could want to write. having one (1) aroace character is not going to ruing marketing in any way. 

I agree. It would be better if we were properly represented in such shows. But that isn't how the glorified marketing people who create such shows think. To them, any fictional character that doesn't pull its weight as a marketing tool is an expense that isn't earning money. Expenses that don't earn money are a big no-no in business (which is one reason business hates government and its own employees so much).

From the TCA conversation about it, it seemed to me that it was the writers who were hesitant to make Jughead ace, not necessarily the CW.  Although of course, the writers have to listen to the network's notes. And the writers and/or network have handled Sara Lance's bisexuality on Arrow and Legends really badly. And this is the network that sold Gossip Girl as a show with so many sex scenes that parents shouldn't watch it (remember those ads with Blake Lively's head thrown back and wild hair? Ick!). So that doesn't give me hope that Jughead will discover he is ace. But, the CW is fine with airing Jane the Virgin, where she went without sex for two whole seasons ... because we knew she wanted it eventually. So frustrating!! I'm going to sign that petition. 

Seriously? I don't watch the show or read the comics, but I do know about this character. He's one of the like, 5 canon asexual characters we have and they're trying to take him away? F**k those people!

Archived