Do you know any asexuals in real life?

Lilzy

Aspiring Monkey

I think I know one but they don't know I am and so uuuh... complicated

SamwiseLovesLife

I know quite a few now I've been to 2 meets :D In other areas yes, one who I met on a dating site ironically

No people won't think you're weird. 

I have not meant a asexual iv'e meant questioning folks or gay folks

but no asexual's of of yet. 

that._.irish._.guy

No. I have only "met" ones online, but that doesn't count. I could have met others and just not known... 

Brighterside

I know (sort of) one person who claims to be asexual but I have a really hard time believing it, she keeps bragging about all the sex she's had... Probibly worth mentioning she doesn't know I'm ace.

I have a friend who is demi(ace && aro) but other than that sadly no. I know a number of queer allos though.

I've met people who I think might be ace, but nobody has ever told me outright.  In fact, nobody has ever mentioned asexuality to me.

Salted Karamel

I knew some people at art school who were ace before I really knew much about it. I wish they'd just said to me "I'm ace," honestly, but they didn't, and I had to put it together in retrospect. But that's the thing about asexuality, is that you probably know plenty of ace people who just never bring it up. They don't look much different from the rest of the human species. :P

Everyone. Just to let you know there's an identical thread to this, currently resident on page 2 of this forum index. I'll link the two together the morning. Skycaptain moderator musi-rants 

I've met 1, so far. At the end of this year, I will be meeting several. Can't wait!:D

*I'll be posting in London & Sydney meetup threads, as the date draws nearer.*

I have a good friend IRL who is ace who I met in my dorm at university. My roommate last year is somewhere on the asexual spectrum but is undecided really where he belongs.

I used to be very vocal about being asexual and came out to a lot of people I didn't know very well, typically in LGBTQIA+ spaces.  I was shocked by how many times I received the response "me too!"

Yes I know one girl who goes to my University.

Nope, none at all. I'm pretty sure all my friends from high school are heterosexual/romantic. Heck, I doubt many people from my small hometown even know what asexuality is. It was hard enough to guess if anyone was even non-straight in general when I was growing up. No one I knew at school struck me as asexual either, not that I knew about it at the time. I'm pretty sure I was one of the only ones. If aces are like 1/100 or so, there would have been only ~150 aces in all of my hometown. If I didn't dislike public speaking, I'd consider asking my high school if could plan a small one-off event at lunch in some room to educate people who were curious. I didn't find anyone in college either. Again, still didn't know about asexuality at the time.

One of my housemates at uni this year is ace (and possibly another given that he likes the Asexual Aces Facebook page). The "confirmed" ace housemate has the best pride ring: a black version of the One Ring! :D 

He's also one of the 3 people I'm out to at uni (I think). 

Particularly fun when yet another housemate is queerphobic and heteronormative <_< (though hopefully he'll learn to get along with everyone - he's 18 and has 2 more years at university yet). 

Most of my mates are demisexuals but they don't refer to themselves as demi. That said, they agree they fall under that category. 

Nea Rose Symphony

So I found out that a coworker's friend is asexual and that made me kind of happy

People around me don't really come out of the closet.I haven't either.So it is next to impossible to find someone with the same sexuality but I'm happy being single

NO 😫

SyncroGekkouga

I do, actually

We met in PE during our freshman year, but I thought I was straight at the time and I didn't know what asexuality was. I wore my ace ring to school a couple of weeks ago and she asked me what it was, I said it was a secret. She asked me if I was ace and when I said yes, she said she was too. 

Its great to know someone else that's ace considering I only found out a month and a half ago😁

I just met an openly ace person outside of AVEN for the first time, hooray! My ace-dar is clearly a bit crappy, because I had no idea until she told me, despite the ace badge on her backpack.

purpleandgreylife

I don't know any out asexuals in real life. However, the same hesitation I have to come out to others in my everyday life, may be what other asexuals are feeling too. I may not know any asexuals because they don't know that I am also asexual or are just really hesitant to disclose that part of themselves. 

I think it's like when people say that they've never met a gay person before. Statistically it can't be true, but they may not be out because they don't feel comfortable/safe in their environment to come out. 

Anyway, no. I unfortunately do not know any out (or even closeted) asexuals in real life.

awesomazingizzy

Nope, I don't know any asexual people in real life although my sister told me that her boyfriend's friend is asexual.  I just figure it would be weird if I asked her to meet him because she herself never has and...  I don't know.  I'm not even sure if this guy is involved in the Ace community or if he identifies with the label or not.  I think it would be a little awkward if I were just like : "Hey!  You know that one guy that you mentioned this one time as being ace but you've never met him and the only thing I have in common with this dude is a lack of sexual attraction?  You think I could meet him sometime?"

So no, I don't know any asexuals in real life but I think it would be nice to.

Mezzo Forte

Yes, I have some ace people in my life. When I came out as trans, a lot of peers and students started coming out to me about their orientations, including a couple of asexuals. I also met a few ace trans people when I tried going to local trans groups, but I didn't attend those groups for long and didn't keep in touch. 

I also have a childhood friend who I strongly suspect is asexual, but he also doesn't seem like the sort that would run into the term easily and probably wouldn't say much about it even if he did.

Im alone too. Though the suspect there might be others around me is always present, but i think they'd be anaware since even as a concept is basically nonexistent here .-.

banana monkey
On 18/06/2017 at 0:32 PM, Skittles87 said:

I just met an openly ace person outside of AVEN for the first time, hooray! My ace-dar is clearly a bit crappy, because I had no idea until she told me, despite the ace badge on her backpack.

I cant quite imagine having that conversation with someone I have only just met. I'm wondering how it would work. Sexuality doesnt really tend to come up in conversation all that much and when it does its not really ever with people I have "just met" as thats not the type of thing (sexuality and relationships) you talk about with random people. Is it?? Obviously, I might at meets (though it has never happened yet) but thats because I know that most people at meets are ace before I meet them. 

The answer is yes now since I've been with Delvai in person (and will be again when possible)

Other than that, I don't know many people really.

Spoiler

I've considered the possibility of going to an Aven meetup if one happens nearby when Delvai is here to go with me (I couldn't handle it alone)

13 hours ago, banana monkey said:

I cant quite imagine having that conversation with someone I have only just met. I'm wondering how it would work. Sexuality doesnt really tend to come up in conversation all that much and when it does its not really ever with people I have "just met" as thats not the type of thing (sexuality and relationships) you talk about with random people. Is it?? Obviously, I might at meets (though it has never happened yet) but thats because I know that most people at meets are ace before I meet them. 

This girl was a friend of a friend, and since I was among friends I mentioned my own asexuality (I was making a joke about cake. As you do.) and she said "Oh, me too!" If you're in a comfortable situation, being open does seem to have benefits.

Archived