Do you know any asexuals in real life?

Lilzy

13 hours ago, Suou said:

There's another person I suspect is ace, but it wouldn't feel right to outright ask.

That's the way it should be. No different as to how we would feel if someone came up and asked us if we were asexual before we had come to that decision ourselves.

I know one girl who at one point thought she might be asexual but at the moment seems to fit the description of demisexual very well, although I don't think she knows it. I just might ask her about it and find out if she agrees.

On 1/24/2017 at 11:26 AM, will123 said:

That's the way it should be. No different as to how we would feel if someone came up and asked us if we were asexual before we had come to that decision ourselves.

I actually found out by accident yesterday, after they added me on social media, lol. But yeah, I'm definitely not prepared to deal with the weird/rudeness of being direct. If someone wants to tell me these things, they're allowed to do it on their own time.

drjohnhwatson

I met three people online who became my friends and they finally sussed out that they might be asexual.  I've met them all in person and hung out; we're all good friends.  One thinks they're aromantic but maybe sexual, one is asexual but heteroromantic, and one thinks they're aromantic asexual.

:D.

On 1/23/2017 at 9:13 PM, helana12_03 said:

I don't know people who identify as asexual, but I know people who don't want to date or be in any type of romantic relationship and they don't sleep around either, so I'm assuming they're not having sex.

Well... not having sex doesn't mean asexual.  There may be other reasons they don't date/have sex.  Could be they're just very shy when it comes to romance. Could be a health issue. Or maybe they've had a real bad experience in the past and would rather not be involved.  

And some asexuals are sexually active, due to a desire to please their partner, not due to a desire to have sex.

14 hours ago, 012 said:

Well... not having sex doesn't mean asexual.  There may be other reasons they don't date/have sex.  Could be they're just very shy when it comes to romance. Could be a health issue. Or maybe they've had a real bad experience in the past and would rather not be involved.  

And some asexuals are sexually active, due to a desire to please their partner, not due to a desire to have sex.

It's most certainly not because they're shy. Most of them don't want to date because they think it's a waste of time and money or simply because they're not interested in having a partner.

3 hours ago, helana12_03 said:

It's most certainly not because they're shy. Most of them don't want to date because they think it's a waste of time and money or simply because they're not interested in having a partner.

With me I was only looking at meeting a "friend/companion" in the loosest sense of the terms. I didn't want to deal with how things would progress down the road. As I result, I more or less passed on dating.

10 hours ago, helana12_03 said:

Ok, well I couldn't have known that info.  

And by the way, romantic shyness is not the same thing as general shyness, and can exist in people that don't have general shyness.  I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here though.

My husband, who I met thanks to AVEN. <3

My best friend from college.

A former roommate of mine.

A former coworker, and possibly her bandmate.

Plus, a number of people Dabishop and I have met through Ace meetups.

• 2 weeks later...

I think one of my best friends is asexual (she was the one who told be it was a thing, and she used to talk about it a lot) but I don't know. I feel like she's been hinting at it, but she hasn't said anything outright. Other than that, I don't know anyone. 

the first ace person i met irl was in my second year of college, and is actually one of my closest friends now. she already had a ton of irl ace friends, so she was kinda weirded out by how totally psyched i was to hear she was ace, and wasn't surprised when i told her i was, too. a year later, i joined a cosplay group of around sixteen other people, ages ranging from fourteen to thirty, and the majority of us were a-spec. also, my best friend (who i met online about four years ago) is also ace, but i've never met them irl. it's so weird, yet amazing, that only a handful of years ago, i felt totally alone and broken with no one who felt the same way i did, and now i know so many!! i'm also finding out that my younger cousin may also be a-spec.

In my friend circle, there are probably more LGBT+ people than straight, cisgender people xD But haven't met any asexuals in real life, and I've only met one online other than on AVEN.

On 1/18/2017 at 1:44 PM, Lilzy said:

Out of curiosity, do you know any other asexuals in real life? Or are you alone like me and only know asexuals on the internet?

~ to be fair though I'm sure there are other asexual people around you and you just don't know it ;) 

Far as I know other than me 

Most people are gay or bi 

I mean in my friend circle 

I don't have a lot of friends right now 

but when I do am often friends with a lot of gay people 

or they become friends with me 

I mean not all of them but its always a large amount 

So LGBT or straight. I never met someone else who was asexual 

Lots. Apparently many of the Otaku and cosplay community are virgins and totally prefer it just fine. 

Diamond Ace of Hearts

nope. Well... maybe, idk. If a-dar is a thing, mine's in the shop.

• 3 months later...
QuirkyGeek

I might be super lucky or something, but I know five people in real life who identify as asexual. Two of them I met on a trip, one of them I heard from their partner that they were asexual, and the other two are my siblings. I feel a bit lucky, although it would be cool to have a really close friend who was ace.

I think so, but I might be wrong. I'm pretty sure asexuality runs in my family, I have so many cousins who have mostly remained virgins and unmarried, or have been celibate for decades, I know it's not the same thing though. I did know, lol "know" this one girl who was "asexual", but she confused me as a young person in high school because she was always grabbing people's private parts and joking about sex and flirting...hmm I know there are many types of aces, but yeah. I was confused.

AwkwardAxolotl

I met five asexuals at college, four of them through the LGBTQ+ society.

I have a close friend who's extremely sex repulsed and in no way relationship driven, but I'm not 100% sure. All I know is that we get along great and that's what matters :)

Blueberry Pie

My friend's sister is openly asexual. I have not told her that I'm asexual myself, but I have dropped a bunch of hints and will probably outright tell her at some point. I was shocked to meet another ace!

There are a few people I know that seem like they're on the ace-spec and/or aro-spec. However, I have not heard any of them identify as any of the terms.

Kathleenah

I have a penpal in America who is, she was actually the first person who mentioned the work asexual to me end I finally realised that's what I was!

I also have another Facebook friend in England who does. I've sadly never met either of them.

I would love to have friends in the real world who were though.

cooliocool

I have never met another asexual in real life. I have heard of some asexuals in real life but I never met them and I have no idea who they are. I never bothered searching for them. 

SliceOfLemon

I've never met anyone who I knew were ace. (Don't know any aces online either actually - though, of course, I know of a lot of them.)

Statistically speaking there should be aces around, but, if they even know the word exists, they are a silent bunch. I don't know where I'd go to find them. My university doesn't even have an LGBT group. 

The only person that I sort of suspect could be asexual is my own little brother. He is 25 and has never shown any interest in anyone, that I know. But it's very possible that I've just missed it.

I met one once! At a conference, where I happened to mention coming out as asexual, during a discussion on intersectional feminism. 

She came over later and said hi. Never see her since but lovely to meet her.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I think half my family were aces! I know other aces through meets, but not in my daily life, although I count the aces in meet ups  as friends.

The longer I think of it, the more I come to the conclusion that I might very well know one other ace, who happens to be the person I attempted a relationship with. It didn't work out.

Oh and I met two AVENites in person, does that count? :)

I don't know any, I guess there are a few but I'm not going to ask these kind of questions to people or they will probably think I'm weird.

Archived