Relationship With Self?

will123

While surfing AVEN to find out more about "autosexual", I found this:

"I am and have been in a relationship with myself for a few years now, and it's the only fulfilling relationship I've ever had."

It was an older closed thread and now I can't find it. Can someone who is in the same position or can explain it, please reply? I'm having a hard time getting my head around the "concept" if that's the correct choice of words.

I'm not an expert on it- but the way I understand it- it's taking care of yourself and having fun by yourself. 

Autosexuality and autoromanticism are different things.

One means feeling horny for yourself, the other mean having a crush for yourself .

1 minute ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

One means feeling horny for yourself, the other mean having a crush for yourself .

How do you have a crush on yourself? Sounds very fascinating.

Just now, sindi said:

How do you have a crush on yourself? Sounds very fascinating.

You wish there was an clone of yourself so you could have passionate feelings for them.

Interesting. Sometimes I wish there was a clone of me so that we could be BFFs, having everything in common... but I can't imagine having romantic feelings for myself.

2 minutes ago, sindi said:

Interesting. Sometimes I wish there was a clone of me so that we could be BFFs, having everything in common... but I can't imagine having romantic feelings for myself.

Idk. .. that sounds lonely, but only a very small portion of world population have such feelings.

Just now, AVEN #1 fan said:

Idk. .. that sounds lonely, but only a very small portion of world population have such feelings.

well, if you can genuinely feel that way for yourself, I think it sounds almost the opposite of lonely, because you won't need no-one else!

I take myself out on a date on Valentine's and then buy chocolate's for myself. I'm the best date I've ever had <3

17 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

You wish there was an clone of yourself so you could have passionate feelings for them.

I don't know that I would... I'm kind of an ass sometimes.

As a full relationship-type deal it's difficult for me to get. 

But I do spend a lot of time alone and enjoy my own company... most of the time. I talk to myself when I'm sure no one else is around.

... yeah that's probably not even close, is it?

According to the Cambridge Dictionary, 'relationship' is defined as the way in which two things are connected, so having a relationship with yourself in the sense used here is simply nonsense. 

I've heard that phrase used in the sense of 'I'm perfectly happy alone' but that's just a metaphor. 

Anthracite_Impreza

I thought it was finding yourself attractive and spending a lot of time in front of a mirror *shrugs*

I didn't want to imply massive overwheening narcissism. I'm already on one warning. 

Anthracite_Impreza
8 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

I didn't want to imply massive overwheening narcissism. I'm already on one warning. 

It's not really narcissism though because you can't help who you find attractive (even yourself), and it doesn't mean you're a self-centred twat. Narcissists do genuinely think they're better than everyone else and can do no wrong...

26 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I thought it was finding yourself attractive and spending a lot of time in front of a mirror *shrugs*

That's narcissism.

Narcissism is an obsession towards self.

2 hours ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

And I think autosexual means you pleasure yourself. There seems to be opposing views on the definition of it.

48 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

No. I grew up with a narcissist, and simply loving oneself is not narcissism. Especially when you consider there are healthy ways to love oneself.

1 hour ago, Moophie said:

As a full relationship-type deal it's difficult for me to get. 

But I do spend a lot of time alone and enjoy my own company... most of the time. I talk to myself when I'm sure no one else is around.

... yeah that's probably not even close, is it?

Moophie that sounds like me a lot as well. For several years at work my job entailed that I was working in a work shop by myself. Then living single at my home. I was always active so I didn't have much in the way of "dead" time where I had nothing to occupy myself. There was the odd time that I caught myself almost carrying on a conversation with myself. I found that a little bit worrying.

I had no problem pleasuring myself, so I never reached any depths of loneliness.

There's clinical NPD and there's narcissism in the classical sense, derived from the myth of Narcissus. Different things. 

1 minute ago, will123 said:

Moophie that sounds like me a lot as well. For several years at work my job entailed that I was working in a work shop by myself. Then living single at my home. I was always active so I didn't have much in the way of "dead" time where I had nothing to occupy myself. There was the odd time that I caught myself almost carrying on a conversation with myself. I found that a little bit worrying.

I had no problem pleasuring myself, so I never reached any depths of loneliness.

Oh, good! Not just me, then. ;p

I enjoy talking out loud to myself, it helps me organize my thoughts. But yeah, keeping busy helps. I almost always have something to do; work, game, read, cook, etc. But taking time to relax and chill is important too.

But, I find that being completely alone takes some getting used to. I have roommates and an opportunity for occasional communication right now. But before, when I was also living alone I found it very quiet and lonely for a while.

Anthracite_Impreza

@AVEN #1 fan; I'm confused now. If self-sexuals are attracted to themselves (as implied in the name), then surely them admiring themselves is not narcissism. If that's the case then what exactly separates narcissism from self-sexual?

1 minute ago, Telecaster68 said:

There's clinical NPD and there's narcissism in the classical sense, derived from Narcissus. Different things. 

Thank you for the lesson... most of us are aware of the origin of the term. But apparently not so much the meaning.

Narcissism is described as an obsession with oneself. Narcissists have an over-blown view of self-importance. Not a noteworthy difference.

But anyways, just loving oneself doesn't make someone a narcissist. There are various ways of loving oneself that are perfectly healthy, don't fall under the category of obsessive, and is probably something we should all do a little of. True narcissists also tend to affect the people around them negatively.

Just hearing that someone loves themselves doesn't mean their bad or weird.

No,  Narcissistic Personality Disorder is way more than self importance.   

Just now, Telecaster68 said:

No,  Narcissistic Personality Disorder is way more than self importance.   

... guessing you missed the part where I said I grew up with it. My mom has NPD. Thank. You. Muchly.

My my mother is a narcissists and, as such displays traits of narcissism. They're the same.

The POINT: Just loving oneself doesn't make someone a narcissist. There are various ways of loving oneself that are perfectly healthy, don't fall under the category of obsessive, and is probably something we should all do a little of. True narcissists also tend to affect the people around them negatively.

Just hearing that someone loves themselves doesn't mean they're bad or weird.

41 minutes ago, will123 said:

And I think autosexual means you pleasure yourself. There seems to be opposing views on the definition of it.

You don't have to find yourself sexually pleasing in order to masturbate.

25 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

@AVEN #1 fan; I'm confused now. If self-sexuals are attracted to themselves (as implied in the name), then surely them admiring themselves is not narcissism. If that's the case then what exactly separates narcissism from self-sexual?

Narcissists are self obsessed in various ways, it's a personality trait.

Feeling horny for yourself doesn't mean you're a narcissist, it's an autosexual identity.

This thread, very relatable.

Spoiler

I dream about myself when I'm lonely.

:blush:

Just now, Assemble said:

This thread, very relatable.

Hide contents

I dream about myself when I'm lonely.

:blush:

Aww! <3

48 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

There's clinical NPD and there's narcissism in the classical sense, derived from the myth of Narcissus. Different things. 

PS: sorry if I came across harsh. I'm trying to be less argumentative... so far so not good. But this is a subject I feel kind of strongly about.

Archived