Asexuality's evolutionary role?

Starfall

There have always been sexuals who aren't  able to reproduce.  If you think asexuals have an evolutionary role (even though they CAN reproduce), what about those sexuals?  

On 2017-01-16 at 10:49 PM, Starfall said:

There hasn't been any research done yet into what evolutionary purpose other LGBTQ+ identities serve, but I'm curious what your thoughts are on this video and also on what you think the evolutionary purpose of asexuals might be.

Actually I believe Bogaert did find that asexuals show some of the same biomarkers as homosexuals (one of them being larger number of older siblings) so it may tie in to this theory.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank goodness for asexuality.  It's not only about population control.  I read that a research study in Italy found that when a family has a gay man, the sister(s) of that guy dude tend to have a lot of children, even with someone in the family who is not prone to settling down with a "normal" family life.  (The research probably didn't take into consideration that some gay men might have children through surrogate motherhood.)  Given the assumption that gay men either have another man to screw with or nobody to screw with (asexual), what's left is ...... well, his personality.  So, the non-heterosexual male has an evolutionary purpose to influence others with a great personality, such as his sister, so that she can be a person who would attract mates to have many children with.  In other words, the non-reproducing person's purpose is to help the reproducing person find better mates.  

Personally, I think the siblings of the gay man might be subconsciously compensating for this lack of progeny by producing a lot of kids.  But I do agree that asexuality and non-heterosexual lifestyles help others see the "bigger picture" in life.  Great teachers, the aces.  

Moved from Intersectionality to Asexual Musings and Rantings.

TheAP

Intersectionality Moderator 

• 5 months later...

In Understanding Asexuality, Anthony Bogaert speculates that asexuality conveys an evolutionary advantage through the kin-selection model of gene replication. This theory originated as an explanation for homosexuality, and holds that a gene which may predispose men towards homosexuality may also predispose women towards being especially attracted to men and having children with men (there's some research which suggest that the sisters of gay men have more children on average). Alongside – or in place of – this first explanation, homosexual men who remain childless may be more likely to contribute to raising the children of their siblings, thus conferring a survival advantage to their kin (there is some evidence for this phenomenon occurring in Samoan society). While research has yet to be conducted, Bogaert thinks it's plausible that asexuality could confer kinship survival advantages in analogous ways.

(Anthony F. Bogaert, Understanding Asexuality, United States of America: Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, 2012, at pages 106-108, 149-150)

Archived