Not sure where I fall on the aromantic/romantic spectrum.

cosmichobo

Alrighty, so at this point I'm fairly certain I'm asexual. I am not sex repulsed, but it's just not really my cup of tea and frankly I'd rather sit in bed with my SO (if there is one at all) with some cake and a movie. That said, I'm still a little iffy about where exactly I fall on the aromantic/romantic spectrum. It's hard to determine because in general I'm not interested in romantic relationships. If I think about it I'm sure I'd be comfortable living my life without ever having a SO. At the same time, I HAVE felt romantic love for someone -- actually, I DO feel romantic love for someone currently. It's a crush sort of thing and they don't know about it but if they ever asked if I wanted to be in a relationship with them I'd say yes.

Now, that sounds kinda romantic, doesn't it? The thing is, I've NEVER felt this way for another person before. If not for them, I wouldn't be interested in having romantic relationships at all. It's almost like an exception. I'm just wondering if there's like an "aromantic, except once in a blue moon not" orientation? This probably sounds dumb. But yeah, if anyone has any wisdom to share, please do! :)

"Aromantic, except in a blue moon" lol off course, there a thing called the "gray aro spectrum" and is filled with orientations for people who rarely fall in love under (un)certain circumstances.

Gray-(a)romantic - a person who rarely feels crushes, and under specific circumstances, their romantic drive is low too (is an umbrella term)

Just now, AVEN #1 fan said:

"Aromantic, except in a blue moon" lol off course, there a thing called the "gray aro spectrum" and is filled with orientations for people who rarely fall in love under (un)certain circumstances.

Gray-(a)romantic - a person who rarely feels crushes, and under specific circumstances, their romantic drive is low too (is an umbrella term)

Okay, yeah. I probably should have put this in the text, but that's basically what I've been considering. Thank you for the reply, and for giving me a bit of confirmation.

banana monkey

I'm in exactly the same situation, (except that I am slightly unsure if the attraction was actually romantic) and have only ever had one relationship off the back of the one occurrence, so I choose to identify as gray- romantic too. It also allows me to put in all the other complex stuff that encompass my romantic orientation (demiromantic, quoiromantic, lithromantic) without having to spell them all out if I dont want to. Though unfortunately although i hardly ever experience it, i now really want a relationship now that I have had it the once. Being virtually aromantic never bothered me before, now it does lots as i am fearful that I will never find that again. 

4 hours ago, banana monkey said:

I'm in exactly the same situation, (except that I am slightly unsure if the attraction was actually romantic) and have only ever had one relationship off the back of the one occurrence, so I choose to identify as gray- romantic too. It also allows me to put in all the other complex stuff that encompass my romantic orientation (demiromantic, quoiromantic, lithromantic) without having to spell them all out if I dont want to. Though unfortunately although i hardly ever experience it, i now really want a relationship now that I have had it the once. Being virtually aromantic never bothered me before, now it does lots as i am fearful that I will never find that again. 

Yeah, if someone asks I think I'll call myself gray-romantic. It sounds nice, and slightly punny. Although I do think I'll keep the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯romantic asexual identifier on here, if only for giggles.

Also, I'm sure you'll find the relationship you're looking for :) Good luck! (Also, that smiley is creepy as heck I'm sorry)

Archived