Asexuals, media, and nudity

R_1

AVEN Census to the media regarding sexuality & nudity  

138 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about nudity in general? Try to answer the closest you can

• I am very acceptive of nudity in general
    • I'm indifferent to it
    • I'm not fine with it
    • Between 1, 2
    • Between 2, 3
    • Other
    • It depends
  2. 2. Should male/female nudity on TV be balanced? Equal amount of male nudity as well as female nudity.

• Yes, they should be balanced
    • No, they shouldn't be balanced
    • I'm indifferent to it
    • Other
    • It depends
  3. 3. Do you feel that the female-gendered body is oversexualized

• Yes, I do feel that the female body is oversexualized
    • I'm indifferent to it
    • No, I don't feel that way
    • Other
    • It depends
  4. 4. Nudity on commercial, how do you feel about them?

• I'm accepting of it
    • I'm accepting of it as long as nudity is actually relevant
    • I'm indifferent to it
    • I am not fine with nudity on commercials
    • Other
    • It depends
  5. 5. Sexuality on commercial, how do you feel about them?

• I'm accepting of it
    • I'm accepting of it as long as sexuality is actually relevant
    • I'm indifferent to it
    • I'm not fine with sexuality on commercial
    • Other
    • Between 1 or 2 and 3
    • Between 3,4
    • It depends
  6. 6. How do you feel about sexual scenes on TV?

• I'm accepting of it
    • I'm indifferent to it
    • I'm not fine with it
    • Other
    • Between 1,2
    • Between 2,3
    • It depends
  7. 7. Regarding sexual scenes, do you feel that there's a difference between heteronormative sex scenes, and lgbtq+ orientated sex scenes are portrayed?

• Yes, I do feel differently about them
    • I haven't really noticed anything different
    • No, I don't feel that they're different
    • Other
    • Between 1,2
    • Between 2,3
    • It depends

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a poll inspired by the nudity-related threads here, and sexualization of the media. I want your input into the poll.

I think we need to stop using sex to self stuff. It just leads to further objectification/oppression of women.

I'm indifferent about nudity. It's natural. If tomorrow, everyone were to start walking around in their birthday suit as if it had been normal the entire time, I would join them. When it comes to using nudity in the media, though, I can count the number of times I've seen male nudity on one hand. These times have not been sexual in nature - think casual locker room scenes and whatever else. But when it comes to female nudity, I'd need multiple hands to count the times I've seen it, and most of these times were sexual in nature. There's an evident discrepancy there, and I don't think that's okay. Moreover, I think the female body is over-sexualized, and it should certainly not be used as a tool in advertisements (such is the reason I boycott Carl's Jr and other chains with similar advertising methods). I also think it's unnecessarily censored in many cases. I once read an account of a documentary where an AFAB had top surgery, and their chest was blurred out. Then, once they had the top surgery and the rest of the transition into a male body, their chest was no longer blurred out. Wtaf?

I've only seen a handful of LGBTQA+ sexual scenes, but I haven't noticed a difference between them and heterosexual scenes.

If it's relevant, then go on...I won't care. There still might be disagreements what's relevant, but still.

Nudity sometimes makes me uncomfortable if it's used for shoving sexuality in my face or with the assumption that I'll be attracted to the nudity.  But if all that wasn't relevant and it's just nudity without context, I don't really care.  I prefer people keep their clothes on, but nudity in and of itself isn't offensive to me.

I think female body is oversexualised. There's a media pression on women to like hard sex, look sexy etc. Almost everything is advertised with female body. I didn't notice they do the same with male one. I think the way how is portrayed hetero and homosexual relationships are different but new LGBT movies are much different.

With nudity in general, it depends. I don't particularly like it when it's a surprise thing. When it's not I'm indifferent. Although, I'd honestly prefer not to see it. I don't even like looking at myself nude, so my view on it might be skewed. If they must have nudity, yeah it should be equal with the male and female bodies. The female body's definitely oversexualized. Nudity in a commercial, I truly don't understand. Why does stuff like that sell? It turns me away from it. If by sexuality, you mean people are depicted as various sexual orientations, yeah I think that's great. Not necessarily that they're nude. I'm kind of tired of seeing the heterosexual couples in ads. It would make it more interesting to have representation of the others. I hate sex scenes, and wonder why there are so many of them. I'd rather the plot continue without it. Even if it's just implied, it seems weird to me. I honestly haven't seen too many LGBTQ+ sex scenes in movies/TV. Or that many LGBTQ+ movies/TV shows in general. So, I don't think I can say much about it. It's not like I actually try to watch what's going on during sex scenes, anyway. 

Not a fan of nudity in general,  and gratuitous nudity on TV.  Likewise nudity and sexual innuendo in commercials won't encourage me to buy the product. 

Too many films especially are ruined by love/sex scenes. 

Don't recall actually seeing a programme with a non-cis-hetero love scene in it

drjohnhwatson

I really like seeing nudity in art, like sculptures or paintings.  Especially sculptures.  Such fine detail, such skill.  If it's tastefully done, it can be beautiful.

Generally, though, media in terms of movies or shows "HBO" it.  Like a movie starts out with a woman screaming in ecstasy and being basically pounded and it's like jiggling breasts everywhere.  That happens SO much.  Or it's like "two people are talking, THEN SUDDENLY IT'S A CUT AND A WOMAN (POSSIBLY THE WOMAN IN THE SCENE) IS SCREAMING AND MOANING AS SHE'S GETTING IT HARDCORE."  Like...I don't see the point at all.  It turns me off of a TV show or movie when I see that kind of shit, honestly.  About the only time it was different was Deadpool because it was funny, but even then I didn't really like it much.  

loved Boardwalk Empire, but it suffered for being on HBO because of all the random, middle-of-the-scenes, unnecessary nudity.  And I like what I've read of Game of Thrones, but it has a decent-ish amount of nudity in the book series already and the show is notorious for being chock-full of sex scenes and general nudity, which I don't want to be subjected to.

Also women are generally full on naked and you don't even see a guy's butt, which isn't fair.  Women also get naked or wear a see-through T-shirt with their nipples erect to sell a hamburger or a hot dog or pencils or something equally as ridiculous.  Women pose completely naked in printed ads to sell socks or perfume, too.  It's just...strange.  And, again, puts me off.  It's not artistic nudity; it's sexually posed, staring over the shoulder, biting lips, arching back and neck, eyes half closed, hands splayed across their chest just so nudity.

There's also absolutely a difference between heteronormative and LGBTQIA+ sex scenes.  Want proof?  Doctor Who received 6 (six) complaints of inappropriate sexual content in an episode where a lizard woman and another woman who were married on the show KISSED.  KISSED.  Do you think they'd complain "inappropriate sexual content" if it had been a man and a woman?  Probably not given that happens most of the time in Disney films.  And frequent-ish on Doctor Who, come to think of it.  And that was kissing!  Between a married couple!  Not even sex.  Also, generally, I think they try to get movies rated higher, like R, if it's got LGBTQIA+ stuff in it, particularly between men.  Two women going at it appeals in most instances to the straight male market.

I don't really like nudity, it makes me uncomfortable seeing strangers naked. Seeing my partner naked I'm fine with - but it seems too personal a thing to just see everyone like that comfortably. Sex scenes don't bother me unless they show nudity. 

I dont like nudity, and I don't like the whole "Sex sells", and I hate public displays of affection, and oversexualization (of all orientations). It should not be on my TV, unless I want it to be. 

• 6 months later...
On 1/16/2017 at 7:41 PM, Starfall said:

I think we need to stop using sex to self stuff. It just leads to further objectification/oppression of women.

To everyone really, sexualization of woman, and pressure on men to go with it in many cultures is stupid.

I'm not a fan of nudity and the over-sexualization of the media, although I find that sex/nudity may be appropriate as part of certain storylines. I also find that there is a difference between heteronormative compared to LGBTQ+ sex scenes. The former are more likely to be included with the intention to titillate, while the latter are more likely to be included with the intention to make a political statement.

Apathetic Echidna

thank you for having the indifferent option, I chose that most of the time. I treat sex scenes (and also most romance scenes) on tv like extra ad breaks, a waste of time that they could have filled with plot or character development. I have found that I avoid media (movies/tv) about homosexual relationship because there seems to be such a focus on sex, sure there are good movies out there like Priscilla, Kinky Boots and But I'm A Cheerleader, but I now have the assumption that they are mostly HBO-esque unless a friend tells me otherwise. 

Breathing....

I think nudity and sex scenes should be scarcely used and only when it's relevant. Sex/nudity shouldn't be required to sell a car but for condoms sex makes sense etc. It's all used it too much, as a race we've forgotten our body parts have more use than just objectification. 

I despise commercials no matter what. Other than that, meh.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have tried to stomach the output of Shonda Rhimes, who would be worthy of recognition if she wasn't obsessed with sex.

I have the impression that the first option in your last question is awkwardly worded. Is it about me feeling differently about them or them being different in my opinion? I answered as though it was the second one, as the rest of the options suggested that meaning.

Apart from that, I wouldn't be against nudity in commercials but for most of the population nudity is sexual, and that is also the intent -- come on, why would we need a half naked body to show what a car can do otherwise? Apart from the fact that I dislike commercials in general, I am against them using sexuality.

On 8/14/2017 at 8:05 PM, Homer said:

I despise commercials no matter what. Other than that, meh.

Some commercials are funny while others are plain stupid and/or annoying.

I'm surprised that a certain TV ad for an insurance company here in Canada is still on the air. It's kind of 3 short segments. In one, the wife congratulates the husband by patting him on the bum as they're walking along. If the roles had been reversed I imagine the 'usual subjects' would've have been screaming about sexism, wanting the ad yanked and a boycott of the insurance company.

A lot of my votes have to do with feminist attitudes. :P

On 17/01/2017 at 8:32 PM, deltaX said:

Nudity sometimes makes me uncomfortable if it's used for shoving sexuality in my face or with the assumption that I'll be attracted to the nudity.  But if all that wasn't relevant and it's just nudity without context, I don't really care.  I prefer people keep their clothes on, but nudity in and of itself isn't offensive to me.

Same!

• 5 months later...

@Member1121245

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived