How Much of Your Life Have You Been Asexual?

will123

I've always known I was 'different'. Though I've never been officially diagnosed, I suspect I might have Asperger's, so I just always kind of lumped my asexuality in with all of my other quirks and weirdness. I guess it was about 10 years ago or so that I discovered asexuality was actually a thing. I do think it's odd though, that with the recent trend towards acceptance of LBGT people, you really don't hear much about asexuals. And the little I have heard was not positive at all. It kind of pisses me off. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been asexual all my life maybe 2 times I actually wanted sex. My virginity was lost because my best friend set me up I was 12 years old and I got pregnant she left me by myself in an abandoned apartment with a guy. After I had my baby I stayed alone for awhile. When I started to hang out with other girls they would say I needed some di&& in my life and always tried to set me up with guys. And, people wonder why I have no friends I hate friends I never had a friend and never will because all they do is curupt you in anyway they can.

• 1 month later...

Pretty much all my life I've been asexual, I thought I had a crush on someone when I was in middle school but the fact that I didn't show any form of sadness or mourning  that she went to a different high school shows it wasn't really a crush a all, I guess I just thought she was cute(and when I say cute I mean like a little doll cute, not attractive like) other than that I never had any interest in romance or dating and strangely enough I get more repulsed by lewd stuff the older I get.

• 2 weeks later...
Married with Children

About a year, I suppose. That’s how long I’ve identified as Ace. As my user name implies, I’m married. Been married for 30+ years to great guy who is very understandng.  I never thought of myself as Ace as a young person and probably wouldn’t have then as I am defintely heteroromantic, as in sappily romantic at times. I’ve felt sexual desire but until I was able to seperate the romantic orientation from the sexual, I just assumed I was straight. I can appreciate the *idea* of sexual attraction but rarely feel it. I understand media references and *get it* when I see sexual relationships protrayed, though I often feel there is far too much emphasis on the sexual aspects of relationships as opposed to the romantic. I am completely okay with never having sex again, though I’m not opposed to it. I’ve always preferred the idea of cuddling and physical closeness and was usually irritated that trying to be physically close led to arousal on my husband’s part. I get now that this should have been a prime indicator I was Ace, or at least Grey-A. So, long story short - I’ve recognized myself as Ace for about a year (I’m 54) but was likely Ace all along. 

About 4 days now.  I spent 34 years thinking I was straight and just very recently realized that's probably not the case.

10 hours ago, Claire1983 said:

About 4 days now.  I spent 34 years thinking I was straight and just very recently realized that's probably not the case.

Welcome to AVEN :cake:. I was 44 when I first read of asexuality and people that weren't interested in sex. At that point I realised there was nothing 'wrong' with me and there were others in 'the same boat' so to speak.

@will123  Thanks!  I have social anxiety and I had always attributed my feelings to that, so it's nice to have one less thing about me that needs to be fixed.  These forums have been very helpful

• 4 weeks later...

I've always been asexual, I have never been sexually attracted to another person. I only found out that asexuality was a thing this year so it's been a pretty confusing life for me.

• 5 months later...

i remember siting in a back seat with a girl in a old 4 door tank of a car being tickled and she pulls my pants open and her hand went in nothing inflated and i tickled her back and i fasten my pants back we talked and laugh some more that night but i never talked to her again i was 15 or 16 that when i had a feeling i was different .I new i liked girls and i new that something should have happen but it didn't .Start of a long  story to were i am now at 47and way less confused

Archived