Need understanding

Sher H

Hi,my daughter recently told me she is asexual,but more recently says she feels gender -less.My confusion with the term...I always thought v gender meant the parts we were born with,but now is that incorrect?Is sexuality sex,or gender sex? I always believed the terms gender and sex ,apart from the act,were synonymous.Any clarification?

Hey :) It's really good that you're looking to find out more about something you're unsure about! I think you've probably come to the right place too.

I think the difference between sex and gender are the biological aspects of it, at least thats what I've come to know. So, your daughter may be biologically female, but to feel or be genderless is to feel neither male or female inside. I think for people whose gender is the same as the one they were assigned at birth the terms can be used interchangeably because there's no difference between them for them personally, but for other people their sex may be one thing while their gender is something else or nothing at all.

If anyone else understands this any differently they're welcome to correct me obviously! I hope you get the answers and clarification you're after, and also welcome to AVEN!

Asexuality is an orientation, like heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, pansexuality, etc. I am a cis-female asexual person. Cis-female meaning I was born with female parts, and identify as female. Being cis I don't feel qualified to talk about things like gender expansiveness, but we have a lot of knowledgeable folks here who can. Something I have to remind people of, my orientation isn't for them to understand, it's for them respect. I believe the same is true of gender.

Anthracite_Impreza

I was assigned as a female at birth due to the parts I was born with, but I do not identify as any gender (I am agender). It's hard to explain but when your mind and body don't line up it can be very stressful and upsetting, so it's nice that you're trying to learn more about it. I am also asexual, though that is not linked to my gender (I just happened to be born a rare beast).

1 hour ago, Votes4Goats said:

Hey :) It's really good that you're looking to find out more about something you're unsure about! I think you've probably come to the right place too.

I think the difference between sex and gender are the biological aspects of it, at least thats what I've come to know. So, your daughter may be biologically female, but to feel or be genderless is to feel neither male or female inside. I think for people whose gender is the same as the one they were assigned at birth the terms can be used interchangeably because there's no difference between them for them personally, but for other people their sex may be one thing while their gender is something else or nothing at all.

If anyone else understands this any differently they're welcome to correct me obviously! I hope you get the answers and clarification you're after, and also welcome to AVEN!

Thanks!

maybe this graphic can help. 

gender is often short version of gender identity - how a person has realized their authentic self should be, and is - their gendered experience, their self-perspective.

biological sex is what you are thinking - how our bodies develop physically. it is marked on our birth certificates by the judgement of the doctor/nurse, though the actual biology is more complicated after that to be honest. 

gender expression is our affect - our aura - our expressed personality. how we present, how we appear to others. gendered tropes I suppose. 

sexuality - which is where asexuality is a part of - is who we are attracted to - or in the case of asexuality, that we are attracted (sexually) to no one. it is often said more recently, that asexuality is the lack of interest in participating in sexual encounters with a partner. 

(I may be more or less paraphrasing here - but hopefully my words help!)

Image result for gender and sexuality picture

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask,I get a little picture of a cake with replies,i s that like,"Cake for you !" or just a sweet thought? I am still new to all of this.But I like the cake pictures !

@Sher H

It's an inside joke on AVEN. TLDR AVENites use cake to greet new users; to offer congratulations or just for the sake ofcake. :) There's a cute little story that goes with it, although now it's just a long-standing tradition.

Mad props to you for trying to understand your daughter and where she's coming from. Seriously; have some cake :cake: :cake: 

Archived