Question...

another

Out of curiosity, how many asexuals recognise the following conversation? I have had to put up with basically the same thing over and over and over, and it's become so very tedious that I feel like massacring all single-minded idiots of the world.

THEM: Do you have a boyfriend?

ME: No.

THEM: Do you even like boys?

ME: Nope.

THEM: Oh. So... you're...

ME: No.

THEM: ...oh. So... you're... bisexual?

ME: No. I'm the opposite.

THEM: So you are gay then?

ME: No! I'm asexual.

THEM: Uh... what's that mean?

ME: It means that I don't like boys and I don't like girls.

THEM: ...

ME: Or sex.

THEM: WTF!?? Why don't you like sex??

ME: I just don't.

THEM: But... why??

ME: I just don't like the idea of having sex, okay?

THEM: Have you tried it?

ME: Well, no...

THEM: So how do you know you don't like it then if you've never tried it?

ME: It's just a gut feeling. I really don't want to try sex because I don't like the idea. If I don't want to do it I'm hardly going to enjoy it am I?

THEM: But you would!

ME: No, I wouldn't. Put it this way: how would you feel about having sex with another girl?

THEM: ...um... that's... not an offer, is it?

ME: NO! I'm being hypothetical.

THEM: What's that mean?

ME: [sigh] Just answer the question: how would you feel about having sex with a girl?

THEM: I... wouldn't.

ME: Have you ever tried lesbian sex?

THEM: ...no...

ME: So, if you've never tried lesbian sex, how do you know you wouldn't like it?

THEM: Because it's gross!

ME: Exactly. That's how I feel about all sex.

THEM: Yeah, but you still have to have sex sometimes...

ME: No I don't.

THEM: But you'll be really unhappy.

ME: No I won't.

THEM: Yes, you will. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll meet someone soon...

It's usually around this point that I lose my head and start swearing and calling them a complete idiot. One girl thought I liked to have sex with animals and trees, and that one day I'd literally **** myself to reproduce. Or failing that, split in two. Honestly, I can't undertand the pure stupidity of some people. Anyone else have this problem or do I suffer alone?

I've had similar discussions, though I hadn't quite figured out that asexuality existed at the time, so conversation ran a little bit differently.

I've never been accused of reproducing asexually, though. That would be awfully convenient, though... just budding off a new little me! Ha ha ... mitosis on a large scale. Not like I'd really like having another me running around wreaking havoc, but the idea's entertaining. Maybe next time someone disbelieves me when I tell them I don't like sex, I'll tell them that I reproduce asexually anyway. Or something. Heh.

People don't often think I'm a lesbian, though. I get the "late bloomer" very, very often. Ironic.

Hehe, I've had varieties of that conversation. I'm particularely amused by the "I don't like boys" "Oh.. so you must be bisexual" bit. If my friends get too indignant I threaten to split. The stupidity I run across tends to be more emotional, eg...

ME:...so I'm asexual.

THEM:Ok, so you're happy being alone.

ME:No, not exactly.

THEM:Right, so you're just waiting for the right person, I understand.

ME:Well, see, there's a surprising amount of evidence pointing to the idea that sex and emotion might not be the same thing...

THEM:But if you ever start going out with them you'll sleep with them to make them happy, right?

ME:I wouldn't jump to that conclusion....

THEM:Ok, so you're just friends with people, you don't, like, LOVE love people.

ME:sigh...

Archived