Any other hyperromantic demisexuals?

ChickenPadSeeEew

ChickenPadSeeEew

I've known about demisexuality for years, but I only recently realised I was demisexual, too.

I think I took so long to notice, because I'm hyperromantic. I'd assumed I was allo, because a) I'd get super crushes, all the time, and can date it back to a young age, b) I really enjoy romantic physical affection, c) I'm not sex averse; am quite sex positive and have a moderate sex drive, d) I've been in a long-term committed relationship for years and years and have felt sexual in it for years now, too.

But I realised recently how I was not really reflecting on where I was on the Aro and Ace spectrums, separately: I'm high on one, and low on the other!

Anyone else like this as well? Did you take a long time to work out your Ace identity too?

Or is it a really uncommon combination and I'm... basically it? LOL.

Welcome!

I'm sure there are plenty of peeps here who are much like yourself, don't even worry about it, darling!

WhenSummersGone

Yes, I'm very romantic but demisexual. Growing up this seemed to be the opposite of normal. I even read a comment saying Demiromantic is more normal than romantic. I'm happy with my orientation.

• 4 months later...

I feel like I'm in a similar situation. I don't have any reaction to appearances, really, and will often remember someone's mannerisms or opinions better than I remember what they look like. Once I've begun to have good conversation or make either an intellectual or emotional connection with someone, I yearn for more so badly. It's like I get these deep crushes on people where I just want to have private and intimate conversations, but sex doesn't come anywhere near the picture. I'm not even sure if it's a romantic feeling or just some hard-core squish shit. Sometimes, I can imagine kissing them, but never holding hands or cuddling or being possessive of one another. Just close and trusting. Like something between best friends and family. What is that?!?

Archived