Little Mentions 2017

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

This thread is for any ace related stories that might not deserve their own thread. 

• 1 month later...
A Different Mononoke

It is not from 2017 but I was watching a Mock the Week rerun and was surprised to discover a joke as regards asexuality on season 6 episode 9. Don't think it was really that helpful for asexuality representation though.

• 1 month later...

This is an unusual statement in Danish from a male who has not had sex for 10 years due to a cancer operation.

He feels like a pressure has been taken off him, he has gained personal development, and it has improved his relations to especially women. Instead of destroying his life, he actually think his life is better now, and he has written a book about it - I'm curious to read it :cake: and see if it relates to asexuality.

http://livsstil.tv2.dk/sundhed/2017-04-06-har-ikke-haft-sex-i-10-aar-det-lettede

• 1 month later...

The word "asexuals" is used in a Danish online paper. The title translated is "Why don't you see old people making out in public?"

The author is writing about how society tends to hide away older peoples sexuality and states that "Ældre mennesker er ikke aseksuelle, (...)" ie. older people are not per default asexual .

http://politiken.dk/debat/arkiv_debattoerer/graugaard/art5399826/Hvorfor-ser-man-aldrig-gamle-mennesker-snave-i-det-offentlige-rum

• 2 weeks later...

Not a mention exactly but I noticed the AVEN group from last year's London Pride parade in the background of a photo in the image gallery of this article from the Evening Standard (photo 60).

Miss Anne Thrope

I just realized that when you search for different LGBTQ+ identities on Google right now, a little rainbow pattern appears under the search bar. It also comes up when "asexual" is searched. 

It's a small thing, but it made me smile.

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:12 AM, Miss Anne Thrope said:

I just realized that when you search for different LGBTQ+ identities on Google right now, a little rainbow pattern appears under the search bar. It also comes up when "asexual" is searched. 

It's a small thing, but it made me smile.

It's great, I think they did it last year too!

Asexuality is used in the subtitle in an article about "Why is it so hard to say, that you are a virgin?" in a Danish online paper https://www.b.dk/relationer/hvorfor-er-det-saa-svaert-at-sige-at-man-er-jomfru

Even if it is not focused on asexuality, it is a quite allright around the subject how it is to be one of the 15 % 20-21 years old virgins.

It says that 2/3 of these virgins are not concerned about their virginity. They question if it is not the virginity itself, that makes it hard to talk about, but rater the expectations from the surroundings that makes it a tricky subject to talk about

• 2 weeks later...
scarletlatitude

This is mainly about demisexuality, but it mentions aces.

Demisexuality: The Little Known Sexual Identity Everyone Is Talking About

http://www.konbini.com/us/lifestyle/what-is-demisexuality/

24 July 2017

When describing the demisexual orientation to some sexuals, it can often me misinterpreted as an admirable choice surrounding modesty rather than an innate orientation.

In reality, demisexuals are not choosing to abstain from sex or sexual attraction, they simply lack sexual desires for any individual until a close relationship is formed.

The term demisexual roots from the orientation being 'halfway' between sexual and asexual, which is defined as a person having no sexual feelings or desires.

• 2 weeks later...
Autumn Season

The German youtuber fritziundso has some good videos about asexuality, most of them about her own experience.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
On 8.8.2017 at 5:02 PM, Autumn Season said:

The German youtuber fritziundso has some good videos about asexuality, most of them about her own experience.

Cool! Thanks for the hint. Gonna check it out :D

The party Die LINKE mentions asexuality in their electoral programme for the upcoming German general elections, if only as the A in LGBTTIQA:

Jede Diskriminierung von lesbischen, schwulen, bisexuellen, transsexuellen, transgender, intersexuellen, queeren und asexuellen Menschen (LSBTTIQA) muss aufhören.

It's only this one small mention, but that's one more than the other parties.

(Sorry, I confused the Quote and Edit buttons again. :blink:)

One of the guides for the monthly LGBTQ tours at the Victoria and Albert Museum (which, incidentally, I'd recommend if you're in London) made an asexuality-themed post on Twitter (warning, contains nudity, albeit illustrated).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Asexuality mentioned in GLAADs recent report on Diversity in media:

http://glaad.org/files/WWAT/WWAT_GLAAD_2017-2018.pdf

Couple of main quotes (though Asexuality is mentioned a few more times in the report):

For the first time this year, GLAAD has counted regular and recurring characters who identify as non-binary and characters who are asexual. While these identities have been depicted on screen before, those characters were often relegated to one-off episodes, which did not allow for nuanced exploration.

For the first time since GLAAD has started this report, there are asexual characters counted. Cable and streaming each include one asexual character, while there are none on broadcast. While the Jughead character is asexual in the Archie comics, The CW’s Archie series Riverdale is not yet telling this story. GLAAD would like to see the series address this moving forward, as the ace community remains nearly invisible in media.

Archived