If asexuals were to marry, what about the ring ?

straightouttamordor

Personally, if I ever got married, I'd want to smith a ring for myself and my partner. Something has more meaning if you crafted it yourself than if you spent 10 million dollars to have someone else make/sell it to you. A band of iron imbued with love is more valuable than any trove of gold.

*enters register office*

*signs paperwork*

*leaves*

I've always said that if I ever get married I don't want it to be a super extravagant thing.  I think traditional weddings focus too much on being flashy, and not enough time focusing on the couple actually committing to each other.  So no, I don't think I'd be too concerned about a traditional wedding ring.  I'd probably want something to symbolize the marriage, but it could be a cheapo ring rather than a diamond, I don't really care.

Of course, that's all if I get married, and I highly doubt I will.

I want a big cake. Everything else, including signing the paperwork, is unnecessary.

I don't like celebrations in general... or rings for that matter, so if anything, we would only have a small informal celebration. If my partner wanted a huge, shiny and expensive wedding, I'd start to think that I might be marrying the wrong person, because we wouldn't have a lot in common. And I don't see any reason to try to explain our lack of sex life to outsiders!

I don't understand the question. Sexual orientation means you are to wear wedding and engagement rings differently? That doesn't even make sense. 

PurveyorOfBadPuns

I like engagement rings.  They're like the ultimate friendship bracelets but for romance.

SorryNotSorry

I can only speak for myself, but I really don't enjoy wearing jewelry on my fingers or hands.

I'm not African-American, but I think the wedding custom of "jumping the broom" sounds kind of fun. ^_^

SorryNotSorry
On 1/15/2017 at 5:54 PM, _V_ said:

Personally, if I ever got married, I'd want to smith a ring for myself and my partner. Something has more meaning if you crafted it yourself than if you spent 10 million dollars to have someone else make/sell it to you. A band of iron imbued with love is more valuable than any trove of gold.

I heard of one guy back in the 19th century who took this idea to the extreme: he attempted to make an iron ring by SAVING UP HIS OWN BLOOD and roasting it to get the iron oxide from it. This he did by pricking his finger often. I think he gave up on that idea once he figured out he'd have to squeeze out an awful lot of blood to do the job... but the woman married him anyway because she had the hots for him.

On 16/01/2017 at 4:39 PM, Just like Jughead said:

I don't understand the question. Sexual orientation means you are to wear wedding and engagement rings differently? That doesn't even make sense. 

I think it's referring to the fact that there are many things that are assumed with traditional marriage. Loyalty, support, kindness, understanding and intimacy (including sex) to name but a few. I think the point is you can't pick and choose which traditions you like and discard the ones that don't suit you. Unless of course you and spouse to be are totally clear about who you are from the word go. 

On 1/13/2017 at 11:14 PM, prib23 said:

Would you want more Carats than Buggs Bunny on your finger ?

Cool! Yes, please!! :-)

On 1/13/2017 at 11:14 PM, prib23 said:

And would you try to explain your relationship to sexual people ?  Or rock on with your private selves ? 

Well, I have a friend who doesn't have sex with her husband because he has a "size problem" and she goes around telling EVERYONE about it but she's weird. She also sent her  lawyer an email about her vibrator. But, *most* people don't just sort of sit around the dinner table talking about this stuff and since in my case, we almost definitely wouldn't be doing *it*, there really wouldn't be anything juicy to tell anyone about anyhow. I mean, I'm not going to be, like, "Hi, this is my husband and we haven't ever shared bodily fluids and we don't plan to.".

I've always have dreamed about my wedding and my engagement ring( a platinum ring with a small diamond&my wedding ring would just be a simple platinum band with our initals engraved on the inside along with the date) and I want to get married at Disneyland buuuut the actual fact of getting married is so weird to me.

I'm Aporomantic(lithromantic is the more common term but it is used by the lesbian community as a sub set of butch, so I am using the other word) so I lose attraction when it is reciprocated. I don't like being touched and I really love sleeping on my own. The longest relationship I had was a month but it was long distance and all we did was text so I don't think that even counts. My parents have been married for 30 years and I can't even imagine being with a person for that long, I would go mad. I like the idea of romance but when it is focused on me I want to barf.

So unless there's a kind and handsome asexual/sexual out there who is able to deal with me and how I want to be delt with, I don't think I will marry. Also private life is private, so I don't think we would tell anyone about our relationship besides close friends/family. Or we could be totally open with it and show that the asexual community exists.

Archived