The Anti Hot Box thread/club/whatever (Is this the right forum for it?)

Guest And Peggy

13 hours ago, Vicky Angel said:

So what is the general topic of discussion on this thread?

How difficult it is to have a real discussion.

When do you think the first asexuals were? Like the first people who fit the description of ace?

When in history do you think that happened?

Luftschlosseule

Amoebas, obviously.

You mean human aces? Around the time humans evolved, probably.

Guest And Peggy

UGH I got stuck in Hot Box again...

I think aces happened when humans first happened, and people started identifying with it around the time it was added to the Kinsey Scale (which was 1948)

Well I asked because it was considered abnormal to not get married and to not have kids for most of history.  So could there have been Aces around the whole time thinking their were strange and abnormal because there wasn't anyone they could talk to about their feelings?

why'd you want to be a mod there if somewhat intentionally unrestrained discourse so easily gets under your skin? [this is a stab, you avoid stabs by taking a step back] I think you simply need to exercise more the option of inaction.

Luftschlosseule
10 hours ago, Vicky Angel said:

Well I asked because it was considered abnormal to not get married and to not have kids for most of history.  So could there have been Aces around the whole time thinking their were strange and abnormal because there wasn't anyone they could talk to about their feelings?

Of course! We have no proof, but I'd think it highly unlikely if it were not so.
We can trace agnostics back to Mesopotamia, so I don't think it would be far fetched to think about asexual people. Only the term ace is fairly new.
It gets interesting when you consider people marrying for locigal reasons and that in some times people were forbidden to have fun while having sex.

I don't know where, but I read an article about "confirmed bachelors and spinsters" and that this is code-speak for homosexual, only everybody knew what was meant. The author of the article was of the opinion that LGBTQ+ got mashed together in this and that it also included aces.

1 minute ago, Luftschlosseule said:

Of course! We have no proof, but I'd think it highly unlikely if it were not so.
We can trace agnostics back to Mesopotamia, so I don't think it would be far fetched to think about asexual people. Only the term ace is fairly new.
It gets interesting when you consider people marrying for locigal reasons and that in some times people were forbidden to have fun while having sex.

I don't know where, but I read an article about "confirmed bachelors and spinsters" and that this is code-speak for homosexual, only everybody knew what was meant. The author of the article was of the opinion that LGBTQ+ got mashed together in this and that it also included aces.

Interesting.  What I find unusal is that alot of religious reasons were used in the past for reasons why people had to behave in the norm, yet most religions have celibate by choice positions.  I'm sure Aces used these options.   I would like to read this article if you find it. 

Luftschlosseule
17 minutes ago, Vicky Angel said:

Interesting.  What I find unusal is that alot of religious reasons were used in the past for reasons why people had to behave in the norm, yet most religions have celibate by choice positions.  I'm sure Aces used these options.   I would like to read this article if you find it. 

Funny, yesterday I thought about having a kind of unfair advantage: I watched a movie in which a catholic priest was troubled because his body and mind needed a little bit of sex, now and then. The conversation with a private investigator turned absurd as he promised he was only into adult women.

But those choice positions were not available to every person. In Europe, to get into a monastery, you needed to be aristocratic.
And I suppose it's quite harsh to reduce religion to a tool. You only need a few manipulative people for that to work, which doesn't have to mean that nobody believes.

Sorry, I don't have a clue to where I read it. /:

RoseGoesToYale

Erm... the Ice Box? Instead of debating hot topics, everyone shares chill thoughts?

Who first saw a carrot and said "I will eat that"? and then that it is hard but still continued eating?

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2017 at 7:27 PM, Vicky Angel said:

Who first saw a carrot and said "I will eat that"? and then that it is hard but still continued eating?

Back when they were purple?

TIL there's a carrot museum. http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/history.html

On 2017-01-19 at 7:27 PM, Vicky Angel said:

There are so many things I wonder about like this. Like, who accidentally curdled their milk and got mould involved, and then thought "Gee I should eat that to see if it tastes good and doesn't kill me." (I mean, thank goodness they did, because cheese is awesome!) Or who thought, "Hey, let's take some dried leaves, light them on fire, and then inhale."

...etc.

Archived