How far can you go? (name change)

Arvid of Rivendell

Arvid of Rivendell

When I first determined that I was non-binary, I decided to start going by Jay. Jay felt right for a while, but now... I kind of want to change my entire name. First and last, completely different from my given name. (I've actually secretly wanted to do this since childhood. Because of my current situation, changing my name won't happen - if it happens - for at least two years.) 

My question: Is that going too far? Are there any trans/NB/genderqueer people who have completely changed their name? (It seems like there are, but I am not certain.)

I think you can change it as much as you want until you find something you like. I suggest trying it out with some friends first, seeing if you like it, and changing it if you do.

Random Happenstance

yeah, i completely changed my name. in part to get a combination that sounded better, and in part to distance myself further from my old name. i basically thought 'if i'm changing my name, why not change the whole thing?' since i don't have any real motivation to keep my family name.

word of warning though: my driving license came back twice after requesting the name be changed, with only the last name changed (think they assumed i'd got married?). the final time it was right, the title 'mx' and all, but yeah, seemed to confuse them haha.

Arvid of Rivendell

Thanks. These are all encouraging/helpful. :) 

Like the others said before me: You could just try a few names you like and see how it goes from there. You can change your name as many times you like untill you found one you really like.You could tell the people in your enviroment that you are just trying out new names so it would be safe for you to change it whenever you would like to?

As for me: I haven't changed my name yet but i'm just trying out this name i really love and see where it goes from there.I picked a first and second name because i have had that in mind for a long time.

arekathevampyre

agender person here . I am intending to change my entire name (first last and chinese name) but unable to do so in short period of time . but the name i picked is a "female gendered" name but i just like it , who cares ? haha and i still use female pronouns or maybe when i am bored , I will I and me as my pronouns (so narcissistic right ) ? haha

Archived