figuring out romantic attraction

stayfrosty

I've never been one to have a lot of crushes, but most that I've had have been on guys. At least I thought they were crushes at the time, but looking back on them I'm not so sure. Lately I've been questioning whether I've ever actually been interested in guys, and loking back on past crushes there is a bit of a pattern. My guy crushes have been of the "you-look-good-but-I-don't-really-want-to-do-anything" variety, whereas girl crushes have been of the "you're-a-close-friend-but-I-also-kind-of-want-to-kiss-you" sort. Maybe the reason for that could simply be that most of my guy crushes have been on people I don't know that well whereas my girl crushes have been on friends, but when I did have crush on a guy friend I had to force myself to think of kissing him and the thought was kind of repulsive. For contrast: before my girlfriend and I got together I had a hard time not thinking about kissing her when it was just the two of us. I also think that my crushes on girls though fewer have been more meaningful and "deep".

That's the main reason for me questioning if I might actually only be into girls, but there is also some small stuff like canon fictional girl-girl couples making me happy, or cute couple/wedding photos being extra cute if it's two girls. But that might just be me being biased because I can't really see myself being with anyone that isn't my current girlfriend right now. If I try to picture kissing and cuddling and such with a generic faceless person I do feel better and more secure if I picture a girl rather than a boy, but that might come down to the same thing. I can definitely tell if a guy is good looking, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if I'd be comfortable or even interested in a romantic relationship with a man. Any opinions and/or tips on how you figured stuff out would be most welcome!

I was reading your description of your guy "crushes" and thought "Ha, that's me!". Really, the title of your post immediately grabbed my attention. I am also in this weird state right now. But we do have something different: you are dating a person, whereas I really can't imagine myself dating anyone.

Well, judging by your story, I think you might be homo-demiromantic. While with men your attraction seems like an aesthetical one. What do you think?

Thanks for your reply @ozunkyun, I think that might make sense! I'll still have to think things over but I appreciate your input ^_^ I know there's really no rush or even need to find a lable, but I just feel like finding something I can relate to fully would be nice.

No problem ^^ I can totally relate to your situation. Hopefully, we'll both find something :)

Archived