Hostels/Hotels

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hi All! 

On booking.com and hotels.com there are loads of hostels and budget hotels. Is anyone interested in grouping up to block book anything? Most are in the city centre, so would likely be easy to get to the Pride march. 

BobRossRules

I'm actually thinking about attending!!  Financially, I'm not sure if I can make it work, though.  I'll need a few weeks to be sure.  As far as hotels, many will give conference rates, it would be worth exploring.  I'm not a fan of hostels and want my own room and bathroom.  Getting a hotel that is walking distance is a big plus for me.  Anyway, I would love to book the same hotel with fellow AVENites as I will most likely get lost.  Plus, I only know sign language, Pig Latin, and English.:blink:  

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Just wondering what the best area of Madrid would be, so that it's handy for the march. The hostels are only $40 for three nights , so that attracted me . Can't find comparable rates for hotels, but if you find similar, I'm definitely in. Anyhow, off to look into it. I know what you mean though Faraday, I like my privacy too, but I remember sharing a 6 bed dorm in Moscow, which was surprisingly fine.

I'll be there in February for the national meet. Then I'll also have some time to look around and make suggestions.

Just a heads up. DO book something ASAP and cancel afterwards if needed.
If you manage to agree on a hostel you can make separated bookings and later contact the hostel, give them all the reservation numbers and ask if they can room you all in the same room(s). It doesn't always work but many are happy to help. No special group offer, but at least it gives you a chance to room together.

@chandrakirti in another entry Baikal posted a map with relevant train stations, pride march and the likes... check it out for the area! :)

Baikal Balkash

For hostels I agree with @Alex.andra suggestion. For national meetings it is what we do. Agree in the type of room to book (10beds, 12 beds or whatever) gather booking numbers and ask the hostel then for setting those bookings in the same room. Not always works well (last time the group was finally split in two rooms, but at least nobody was alone) but it is a possibility.

I also agree to book in advance, check which is the limit of cancelation without anypayment and then cancel if needed for a better option. I have my booking done in advance just in case. I don't know if finally I will use that booking or if I will change. In any case from now I have something for sure and for a reasonable price. 

As a note. In Spain there are:

-Hotels (hoteles). Your own room, reception and other hotel services.

-Hostels (hostels or albergues). Shared rooms with beds, Shared showers.  Maybe breakfast. Sometimes shared kitchen, but no so frequent.

-Apartments (apartamentos). Your own apartment. No extra services. You do everything.

-Hostales (look at the A, not confound hostEl and hostAl ) and pensiones.  Your own room and shower but not hotel services. Reception maybe only during the day. No breakfast nor dinner option. No kitchen shared. Just your room and shower. No more services. 

-Casa de huéspedes "Host house" "guesthouse". Similar to hostales and pensiones but the difference it's that you share the house with the owners and other travellers. Maybe there will be common bathrooms (as in a house) although the bedroom will be yours. There can be a common livingroom which the owners can also use. Casa de Huéspedes is a legal recognition for accomodation, it is not something "pirate". It's like renting a room for some days in a shared house. Las casas de huéspedes are not so common. 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Cheers @Alex.andra, will just catch up with the maps!:D Most of the hostels I've been looking at are around £30-50 for three nights. I'm a conossieur of hostels...my rationale is that I'll only be sleeping there, so .....

2 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

@faraday...well, I missed you when you came to London, so perhaps we'll be in the same place on 1st July! Look forward to that!

That'll be awesome!

Archived