How do you greet people you meet (in real life) ?

arekathevampyre

how do you greet others ?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you greet people you meet (in real life) ?

• Air Kiss (kiss on cheeks)
    • Hug
    • Kiss on lips
    • Shake hands/High five

I don't do any of that, I just say "hi" and keep it moving.

I just say hello.  A lot of the time, I just pretend not to see them or try to avoid them (it seems that most people who know me would rather avoid me so it's often painfully awkward when I meet people I know).

Anthracite_Impreza

I do not touch people and I don't want them touching me; I don't even talk to most people, just look at them then look down and run away.

EmotionalAndroid

I don't meet too many people, but when I have to I just say "Hello, nice to meet you" quietly and awkwardly.... unless it is a business relationship, in which case I will try really hard to sound more confident and shake hands.

On 1/6/2017 at 3:21 AM, arekathevampyre said:

interesting ! keep it going ! on a side note , just wondering how will you react if you meet you favourite celebrity ?! 

If I actually met them (like someone introduced me or they wanted to talk to me) I'd just get all flustered and not be able to run my "act like a normal human" subroutines. I'd stutter and not be able to speak very well at all. This happens to me whenever I talk to someone, not just celebrities.

If I just saw my favorite celebrity, I would not go up and say hi. I'd be too concerned that I'd be interrupting them or bothering them in some way. I'd just watch them secretly for a while.

None of the above - usually a verbal greeting :)  Handshaking would be done in very formal situations, and in the culture I live in, people never kiss or air-kiss on cheeks to greet; I've been in countries where they do that and it felt very awkward :D

Depends on the situation, but it's either a hug, high five or handshake. There's situations for all of them

Luftschlosseule

Air wave. And I greet quickly so everybody has the impression that the greetings are over before anybody could try any physical stuff.

Only when I am on official business, at a doctor's or with extended family, I shake hands.

Chances are that I wouldn't recognize a celebrity of my own due to prosopagnosia.

If I would recognize the person, I am not sure I would do anything cause I would assume that everybody recognizes them and they maybe want to be left in peace. If I really wanted to speak with them, I would wish them a very well unbirthday, which works on most days. Unless, of course, it's their birthday.

Had to put shake hands,  as there's no "no contact" option. 

I'll say "Hiya", and sometimes raise a hand,  particularly in a crowd 

I think social interactions are weird in general, people seem massively confident in their chosen method of greeting and often seem to go all in virtually attacking with their hug/handshake.

I feel we need to have some kind of code taught to us when we are children, so for example if I met Skycaptain I'd extend my arms out to signify that I'm a hugger and Skycaptain would...fold arms(?) to signify that a non contact form would be preferred? I get uncomfortable when I'm made to shake hands, I couldn't imagine what that is like for the contact averse.

17 minutes ago, Tainted said:

I think social interactions are weird in general, people seem massively confident in their chosen method of greeting and often seem to go all in virtually attacking with their hug/handshake.

People seem massively confident in their society's chosen method of anything, I find ;)  Like this whole thing that you need to live in couples / as couples, no other option, it's never even questioned by most people...

Usually just by saying "hi"... but I picked the handshake, because in a more formal situation, or meeting someone new, I do that.

I don't do any of those... When I greet people I usually say hi (sometimes good morning/afternoon/etc.), smile, nod, and sometimes wave. I'm not a touchy person. I grew up in a culture where people greet each other by kissing their cheeks or with a hug. I'm trying to feel better about hugs, and trying to hug people I really know/are close to when I greet them. It can be difficult for me, though. I chose handshake, since that seemed closest, I guess?

Awkwardly staring at the floor and mumbling "hello" wasn't an option, so I didn't vote.

High fives are totally not my thing, but occasionally, if required, I will partake in the "shake hands"-habit, so I voted for that one.

My preference is a purely verbal greeting though. I have an aversion for hugs unless it's from people who are very, very close (e.g. my grandparents), I can't stand air kisses and I wouldn't want to greet anyone with a kiss on the lips (unless perhaps it was a love interest…? Not sure about that either to be honest, need to be confronted with such a situation yet.).

I didn't see any verbal (in my case, "Hi!", "Hello/Hallo!" or "Grüß Gott!"*) option though. :P

*yeah I'm using that last one despite not living in Bavaria or Austria. Liking the sound of it. Rough translation of it: Bless you/God Bless!

drjohnhwatson

Er.....I don't really do any of those things.  I try to avoid people, haha.  I'm cripplingly shy IRL.

If I do greet people, it'll be a brief hi or just a wave or even a smile.  A handshake is pretty rare unless the person is going for it first or Someone Important because I'm a bit of a germaphobe and just generally don't like people touching me unless I'm cool with it.

:huh:.

It depends on the situation. If I'm manning the business booth or at a show I have to be social, so I keep it a mix of friendly professional. Basically a standard introduction of me and what I represent but I keep myself maneuvered to ditch the handshake without it looking like I did that on purpose.

In everyday situations I have a lovely air about me that keeps people from really noticing me so I can usually avoid that awkwardness.

Occasionally I get caught by a touchy feely acquaintance and have a lovely moment where my brain stalls trying to figure out why this person is touching me and what I should do about it. I usually end up with little muscle spasms for the next ten minutes. Needless to say I try to avoid those people.

If it's someone I don't like I pretend they don't exist, works very well for me.

If I ever met a celebrity I honestly probably wouldn't have a clue they who they even were. That would probably be a very interesting and entertaining meeting.

RoseGoesToYale

I force-of-habit handshake when meeting anyone for the first time, but my verbal greetings vary. "Hello" for strangers, "Hey" for acquaintances and friends, "Yo" for close friends, and "Ugh, go away" to random people on the campus/streets.

I'm pretty sure I unintentionally project "go away" and "be quiet or die" in school because I swear anyone assigned to sit next to me always shuts up the second I look at them, even the instigators. I also apparently have a designated table and nobody even attempts to sit there. Courtyard seems to be mine too because people leave as soon as I start eating there. It's kinda of funny actually. Especially because I've never done anything to anyone, or said anything.

Maybe I'm an anti-social asshole but I don't like greeting people,I prefer being unseen.But if I can't avoid it I simply say "hello" and that's that.

Archived