Wouldn’t it be impossible to stay true to a man who didn’t enjoy sex?

Éadweard

This article... confused me, to say the least.

For some people, I understand, sex is something they really want as a part of a relationship. No shame there and yet... has the author not heard of masturbation?? Like, that might not work for everybody, but that's an option to keep you from cheating on an asexual spectrum partner. Just a thought.

51 minutes ago, Bimbo Bread said:

This article... confused me, to say the least.

For some people, I understand, sex is something they really want as a part of a relationship. No shame there and yet... has the author not heard of masturbation?? Like, that might not work for everybody, but that's an option to keep you from cheating on an asexual spectrum partner. Just a thought.

What about trying no sex? Just because the author wants sex doesn't mean they can't try not having sex, and for all anyone knows, the author just might like having no sex/not having a problem not having sex. It's one thing to try it and not like it, but it's a completely different thing if you never try it in the first place.

For me, sex or some kind of ‘sex’ is an important part of my life. It seems to be the major obsession for the vast majority of people around me.

Wouldn’t it be impossible to stay true to a man who didn’t enjoy sex?

Even if just for a moment, we pretend that masturbation isn't a thing, this still doesn't make sense. The author is clearly aware of the fact that everyone experiences this somewhat differently (hence the "for me"), so the last sentence is just strange.

I think that this question was asked from a personal POV. He didn't mean it in a general "How could anyone ever stay true...", but in a "How could I ever...". It's the question he's concluding from the paragraph right before.

Seems to be an inner monologue to himself as to what he thought when he heard about his friend (who he assumed was very sexual) was actually very not sexual. And, it's perfectly fair for him to decide he'd cheat on an asexual partner, so it'd be bad to have one. At least he's honest with himself. Incompatibility like that should be admitted...

Wasn't expecting much after reading the comments above but I actually thought it was a pretty decent article, especially the end bit calling for more talk about asexual issues.

That article was extremely sensitive towards asexuality, very empathetic and understanding. The writer was honest that he himself could not have a relationship with an asexual, but didn't judge or condemn asexuality in any way. I've been in the situation of the guy he was talking about (adult modelling, so everyone assumes you're super hypersexual) and it's surprising the amount of people that actually do react like the author did. We get this idea on AVEN than everyone is super judgmental about asexuality but I've found if you're honest that you have no interest in having sex with anyone, you're more often met with interest and legitimate questions etc than anger or judgement as long as you don't try to talk about it in YouTube comments or anywhere like that. People seem to live in some places online just to put others down regardless of what you say T_T *avoids YouTube comments*. I guess it just depends on the maturity levels of the person you're talking with!

Archived